Dynadot

Microsoft's iPod Killer is Officially Named ZUNE!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Microsoft Argo's Final Name: The Zune?
Our inboxes are on fire with brand new information about the new Microsoft MP3 player. We thought the player was code-named "Argo", but we now got word that the final product name that's been flying around is the "Zune"!

The pic on the right seems to be the final design, which makes the player very clean—a definite departure from Microsoft's other endeavors. You all remember the video Microsoft's own people made to illustrate their packaging shortcomings? Well, it seems like they haven't learned much, as our tipster tells us the packaging itself is pretty ugly.

More info after the jump!

Our mole also says there's no game menu to be seen on the device, putting those rumors of portable gaming from Xbox branding in possible jeopardy. More game options possibly coming in the 2nd iteration.

There's also mention of a black version of the Zune, being shown on a music video for the band CSS, and the brown version on the cover for "Band of Horses". You can display Album covers for the song you're listening to on the screen, which is "big enough" and looks "pretty good". Paul Oakenfold also has a tie-in deal.

From the looks of things, the Zune will definitely be ready for a Xmas release.

We'll have more information plus possibly the logo and/or UI Shots tomorrow. Stay tuned! – Jason Chen

Thanks Tipster!
Source: Gizmodo

Get your ZUNE domain names now. They're going fast!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Grabbed a bunch myself including zunecasting.net and two dozen .ca ones. Still a bunch of great *zune.coms left - will be grabbing as soon as payment on my credit card goes through to clear more room!

It's zunesanity I tell you! Oh it's available too...

•••
You don't see many sales, but you can be sure that the folks with the best xbox/ipod, and later wii, domains are laughing all the way to the PPC bank.
I am glad you are sure because I am not and the ppc bids for those keywords are not high at all but CyberSquatting sure is fun

•••
I snagged Zuneclips.com!

Looneyzunes.com is available - someone reg it before I do..lol

•••
Last edited:
•••
what if you created a site like ZUNEVSIPOD.COM where half of the site was dedicated to ipods and the other to zune. maybe cut it down the middle and have several recourses for both.

or even a community with a template half white and half xbox green. what about that idea?

•••
equity78 said:
I am glad you are sure because I am not and the ppc bids for those keywords are not high at all but CyberSquatting sure is fun

You are right i cant see anybody laughing all the way to the ppc bank when the ppc for the keywords will most likely be minute, and the cybersquatting part really isnt cool, i thought we were all working to be looked at as Internet Billboard investors or something along those lines ?

•••
..great idea... but reg it ,one "spy"/domainers can reg it at your place

"les murs ont des oreilles"

•••
thegenius1 said:
You are right i cant see anybody laughing all the way to the ppc bank when the ppc for the keywords will most likely be minute, and the cybersquatting part really isnt cool, i thought we were all working to be looked at as Internet Billboard investors or something along those lines ?

I don't own any of those domains, it was an observation on how popular those keywords are with domainers. Sure the bids are low, but I'd rather have a steady volume of low PPC clicks than a mesothelioma click once a month.

•••
AHEM, :-/ there's a lot of DOMAIN INVESTORS & DOMAIN ENTREPRENEURS around here that ANY PPC of ANY amount is welcome.

•••
•••
I registered ZuneTrax.com :) . Your thoughts?

Thanks Kimmy, BTW :tu: !

True_Snake

•••
SteveAR said:
who's going to turn theyre .com into a community?
Thinking about putting up something using ZuneBuzz-com but so many projects going right now.

There is one out there using geeklog software -- I don't want to copy.

•••
I just finished reading this entire 6 page board on the Zune, thats alot of reading. Thanks for all your information Kimmy, it realy helps to know as much as possible. Also congratz to all of you who snagged them good Zune domains! I've made a list of about 10 decent available Zune domains. I'll be sure to get a one or two of them first thing tomorrow, I need to get some sleep. Lol.

•••
At this rate they will probably be all gone by morning...!

•••
According to Gizmodo, the product, code named "argo" will likely hit the market as a product called "Zune," but it's still very early and speculative at best.

•••
I have a few names I'm thinking of with one just waiting for one more click until payment. But one thing that bothers me is Zune the final name? Also, will it be able to suceed?

From some comments at Gizmodo, seems like people aren't too positive about it yet?

•••
@actelvision

For the TM i use this link

"http://www.wipo.int/ipdl/en/search/...arch-struct.jsp
and Zune not registered.... i'm bad???

You`re right and bad.
There is still no TM release. I own some TM`s and in Germany (and EU) there is a difference between registration date and the "release to the public". Normally you get the registration a few weeks before the patent office releases it to the public. When you check the TM in a few weeks and I think there will be a zune TM, take a look at the registration and the release date. The day of arrival at the patent office and the registration date are the important points. All the zune tld (eu/com/etc) domains are registered by different people at the same time (around May), using the same registrar. Be sure, when they are MS people, they startet the TM process at the same time.
I think, when MS brings out the zune, they are not going to do this without a TM. Don`t know much about the situation in the U.S., in Germany this could be very expensive, but Germany is "very special" in that.
Anyway, I`ve seen some very good zune domains here. Hope this info gives you a little help.

Chris

www.producedin.eu ...

•••
thinking about zune.sc "zune source"
but wouldn't it just get taken straight off me...?

•••
Microsoft Approaching iPod Manufacturers For Zune Accessories

Microsoft is trying to woo accessory makers that are currently making iPod products into supporting their upcoming Zune player. Microsoft hopes these manufacturers will make items such as speaker docks and FM transmitters that will fit in the Zune's expansion port—much like devices communicate with the iPod via its port. MS is also offering a sweeter deal in lower licensing fees compared to the fees Apple charges for operating for their iPod.

Because the Zune will have wireless capabilities built right in, accessories similar to the Nike+iPod won't need a separate peripheral to communicate with the player. It's possible Bluetooth stereo headsets will be able to connect to the Zune right out of the box. It seems that Microsoft's taken the idea that made their Xbox so powerful—Xbox Live and its ability to connect you to other people—and transferred it to the Zune. Maybe that will be the way Microsoft beats the iPod? – Jason Chen

Best wishes,
Kimmy

•••
Hm.. interesting.. It's tempting to register a domain, but then, who knows if Zune is the final. I haven't seen any official news from Microsoft...

•••
Static said:
Hm.. interesting.. It's tempting to register a domain, but then, who knows if Zune is the final. I haven't seen any official news from Microsoft...

Microsoft hates domainers. I wouldn't be suprised if "zune" was a sham.

Zune spelled backwards is enuz (e-news) btw

•••
MyPGP said:
Microsoft hates domainers. I wouldn't be suprised if "zune" was a sham.

Zune spelled backwards is enuz (e-news) btw

Yeah i think the evidence shows this is still a Code Name , I mean they dont even own the Dot Com , MS is not stupid , they even duped many people with what is now called Vista... Also here is a list of IDN's were Uncle Bill is now covering His bases in different Languages when he is to realese something New

bivapiñata.com
civapiñata.com
fivapiñata.com
givapiñata.com
ivapiñata.com
ivvapiñata.com
v8vapiñata.com
v9vapiñata.com
viapiñata.com
viavpiñata.com
vibapiñata.com
vicapiñata.com
vifapiñata.com
vigapiñata.com
viivapiñata.com
viva-piñata.com
viva0iñata.com
vivaapiñata.com
vivaiñata.com
vivaipñata.com
vivaliñata.com
vivaoiñata.com
vivap8ñata.com
vivap9ñata.com
vivapñata.com
vivapiña5a.com
vivapiña6a.com
vivapiñaa.com
vivapiñaat.com
vivapiñaata.com
vivapiñafa.com
vivapiñaga.com
vivapiñara.com
vivapiñat.com
vivapñiata.com
vivapiñata.com
vivapiññata.com
vivapiañta.com
vivapiñataa.com
vivapiñatq.com
vivapiñats.com
vivapiñatta.com
vivapiñatw.com
vivapiñatz.com
vivapiñaya.com
vivapiiñata.com
vivapiñqta.com
vivapiñsta.com
vivapiñta.com
vivapiñtaa.com
vivapiñwta.com
vivapiñzta.com
vivapjñata.com
vivapkñata.com
vivapoñata.com
vivappiñata.com
vivapuñata.com
vivpaiñata.com
vivpiñata.com
vivqpiñata.com
vivspiñata.com
vivvapiñata.com
vivwpiñata.com
vivzpiñata.com
vjvapiñata.com
vkvapiñata.com
vovapiñata.com
vuvapiñata.com
vvapiñata.com
vviapiñata.com
vvivapiñata.com

So there is No way IMO that they are going to let some people get all the domains of what could be one of there Hottest potential products.

•••
Just reg'd http://www.YourFreeZune.com. I will most likely develop it into an incentive based website. Thanks for the heads up Slaughterbeck! :)

•••
thegenius1 said:
Yeah i think the evidence shows this is still a Code Name , I mean they dont even own the Dot Com , MS is not stupid , they even duped many people with what is now called Vista... Also here is a list of IDN's were Uncle Bill is now covering His bases in different Languages when he is to realese something New

Longhorn was the Codename for Vista. Last year. Argo is the Codename for Zune.

Again, take a look how many extensions ZuneLive and ZuneCast are registered in.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

Last edited:
•••
I read this thread and I am still a little confused. is zune the final product name or a 'code' name?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back