NameSilo

.mobi LLL.mobi Possible-Buyout

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Archangel

randypendleton.comTop Member
Impact
Everyone knows that the LLL.mobi sold out long ago but eventually, many owners let their domains drop. I made a list a few days ago showing the available LLL.mobi domains and I'm a tad surprised.

There are 18,928 possible LLL combinations. When I complied the list, there were 1,984 LLL's available. But a decent amount were regged from then til now. So I'm thinking that since .mobi is still pretty new and many companies will surely develop more mobile-friendly websites, there could be another LLL.mobi buyout. I have no idea if it'll stay but I do foresee a buyout sometime soon.

GoDaddy is having a $7.99 (or so) .mobi special and several other registrars are having sales, too. I think it would be wise to pick up a few LLL's now for future investments. Even if LLL.mobis fail to turn a decent profit, you'll only be losing your reg fees. For those interested, here is a list of all LLL.mobis available right now. I'll try to keep this list updated. Reps are always appreciated :)

What is your opinion of LLL.mobi? Do you think ppl should take this small gamble? Anyway, here is the list as of Sunday May 31th 2009:

BUYOUT!

0 domains!
(5/31/09)

(1,984 were available around 3/1/09)
(1,943 were available on 3/6/09)
(1,916 were available on 3/11/09)
(1,865 were available on 3/26/09)
(1,294 were available on 4/22/09)
(1,267 were available on 4/28/09)
(1,254 were available on 5/11/09)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And what was it 3 years ago? I bet it's 80% or more in 3 years from now. What will be your position on mobi then?

well as for the bet, you name the wager .. that is most definitely a bet I'd take!

tbh, i have a HTC Dash that runs windows mobile, as of now, non mobile specific sites, like namepros.mobi, are absolutely terrible to browse.

•••
Moderator note: No more spamming or you'll be sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
lol.. you're giving yourself wayyyy too much credit.

an ebay listing didnt make anyone do a buyout... nice try tho... your domain (username) is worth about $10 or less on the reseller market.

Last edited:
•••
What has changed in my statements?

I'm not the one changing here, first you wanted me to prove my assertion that 10% of the top 100 global companies are using .mobi which I did, then you shifted the discussion to what search terms these sites are ranking in, and now you want me to provide you the specific mobile market share .mobi has... Sorry, I'm not interested in this shell game.

Snoop does stuff like that a lot. We get an earful of him over at the .tv forum.

He recently crossed the line and accused me of having lied about my domaining history. Funny thing is that I hadnt even really brought it up, others had. The fact is I've been in domains for 10 years and used to catch a lot of drops in the days when that meant staying up thru the wee hours and unleashing a barage of emails to NetSol. Since then he's repeatedly made shameful and juvenile remarks to me and demanded that I offer some proof that I was catching .com drops 10 years ago, like I have to prove something to him.

Where I come from you dont call someone out wthout putting something on the line. If he were to say to my face what he said on this forum it would be his nose and teeth on the line. However this is a civilized forumI have no intention of threatening him physically. But if a man calls you a liar then I feel he should have o pay a price when he's proven wrong.

I since challenged him that I will publiclly post a list of some of my .com dropcatches from '99. At first the wager was that if I was lying I would leave NP for good. He didnt really respond to that, just accused me of "more evasion" and tried to pretend that my posts are indecipherable - "6 paragraphsl of nonsense" as he puts it . So then in order to make it easier on him I offered to let him off with just a months exile for each 1999 dropcatch I post, and then lowered that to a week - while I'm still on the hook for a permenant vacation should I actually be the liar and fraud that snoopy intimates.

Heres the thread:

http://www.namepros.com/dot-tv/588734-geo-tv-is-stronger-than-ever.html

Still no word from stoopy. I guess he thinks he can just weasel out of it.

I think the upshot is that his word carries no weight in any way. He comes to NP apparently not to engage in constructive discourse but almost always provokes petty arguments. He is someone that we should all completely shun and ignore - if only for our own good and peace of mind.

•••
This comment reminds me of NP member ItalianDragon, I told people over a year ago I thought the LLLL.com market would collapse, he called me an idiot many times, then when it did actually happen he blamed me for it. Sometimes people don't seem to like seeing a market for what it is, and that is one that was inflated to silly levels.

Extensions do not collapse because of Jeff, me and some others naysaying. .mobi has fallen over because the degree of usage was nowhere near what was expected by speculators. It was backed by a large % of the biggest Internet co's and big domainers were buying, in the end that counted for nothing at all. The curtain went up and the stage was empty. Even I thought the development levels would be higher than what they have been.

The financial situation has likely made it worse than it otherwise would have been (or maybe sped up the process depending on how you'd like to see it), because people are far more focused on non speculative revenue - ie flipping is dead and that is what .mobi has mainly been about.

I would tend to concur with you, the dotmobi market was always going to grow organically from a standing start. The average end-user can hardly be called a visionary and it is taking time for the use of the internet to migrate away from the desk-top & out into the streets.

It was pretty much a fait accompli that speculators would be the first to run with the extension, as indeed they have done with every other extension ever released (except those with restrictions). The problem occurred when the speculators looked to exit from some of their investments to find that the anticipated growth of the extension via pure Organic growth by end user adoption hadn't materialised.

Those who have most to lose from the success of the extension, (I believe that you refer to them as "naysayers" or someone referred to them as "Jeffs") have mistakenly taken the fall in prices and the number of dropped names as a sign of the failure or indeed "death" of dotmobi when I suggest to you that this was another utterly predictable event; that speculation versus bad timing = sell-off (be it oil, coal, ork bellies, corn or domain names).

Speculators will buy and sell for a number of reasons; when selling for profit it is quite self explanatory why they have done so. When they sell at a loss it is less so.. Usually they have 2 choices; sell and move on through choice or sell and move on because they have no choice.
The speculative investment in domains is like taking out a bet on the markets, you take a 28day position and and the end of that period you can cash-in or roll a losing bet over for another 28days or exit (walk away).

Because rolling the position in domaining terms requires further investment via renewal fees the choice is often made for the speculator because they have overstretched themselves and cannot afford to renew again. There was a 2 year window for a profit after sunrise and the timing didn't come together for them. It really is that simple.

Obviously the wider market conditions have compounded this a great deal, many domains have been dropped against the will of the cash-strapped owners but others have simply lost patience because the mobile internet is trundling along at a pace they cannot cope with.

On the flip side, many domainers and professional investors (including some of the dotcom guru's who wouldn't like it to be known to the broader community) have been picking up superb domains at reg fee after the big drop a few months ago.
Some serious portfolios have been put together in recent months, in the same way that some shrewd domainers picked up dotcoms in 2000-2001.

Since then the LLL.mobi have been bought out (again) and registrations are on the rise (again). There is little point in declaring that dotmobi is dead on the evidence we have available.
The success of dotmobi is about taking a market share of what will be billions of web-users. When you have numbers that big, a viable market share doesn't need to be all that big... but I certainly believe that it will be significant.

Most domainers who dabble with dotmobi will probably lose money; afterall, most domainers who buy domains in every other extension will lose money... they are like lottery tickets, when you take a 100 similarly average domain names, maybe 5 will sell for a nice profit... maybe one will buy the seller a new car..
Maybe one sale in a 1,000 will help to put the kids through school & one in a million (or more) will actually sell for $1 million or more... The odds are against the domainer, it's a hobby for most.. lets be honest.. if you own 100,000 domains your odds are improved (if you have quality names) but look at the overhead of managing 100,000 names & renewals etc.. Parking revenues follow the same kind of statistics... very few earn a 'real living wage'

So, I don't think you (snoop) bought down the LLLL.com market nor did Jeff cause the collapse in dotmobi values between 2007 & 2009... it was all part of the natural cycles and of course that's what we are looking at now... the market for dotmobi is going to improve as the number of made for mobile sites increases; I don't think you'll see much of that in the US or Western Europe - not for a while at least. The action will be in India, China & Africa - where desk-top internet will be espoused by small screen mobile access...

What happens in the US & Western Europe will probably follow that pattern, maybe a year or two behind the developing world. Who can blame a speculator for dropping names that might demand another 2 or 3 years of renewals?

Of course, as with real-estate, one sellers misery is another buyers fortune..

•••
Speculators will buy and sell for a number of reasons; when selling for profit it is quite self explanatory why they have done so. When they sell at a loss it is less so.. Usually they have 2 choices; sell and move on through choice or sell and move on because they have no choice.

I think the reason why they want out is because they no longer believe in what they have invested in, or their hip pocket no longers beleives (ie they have no cash).

Some serious portfolios have been put together in recent months, in the same way that some shrewd domainers picked up dotcoms in 2000-2001.

The key difference between then and now in my view is that in 2000-2001 people were picking up names with cashflow, that is completely different to those buying just because they think prices will rise. In 2000-2001 lots of people were picking up alt tlds aswell, and I don't know of anyone who did well from it.

Since then the LLL.mobi have been bought out (again) and registrations are on the rise (again). There is little point in declaring that dotmobi is dead on the evidence we have available.

It is obvious that it is largely dead from the prices these names sell for, there will always be some speculating in it though, some still speculate in .cc.

•••
Snoop does stuff like that a lot. We get an earful of him over at the .tv forum.

He recently crossed the line and accused me of having lied about my domaining history. Funny thing is that I hadnt even really brought it up, others had. The fact is I've been in domains for 10 years and used to catch a lot of drops in the days when that meant staying up thru the wee hours and unleashing a barage of emails to NetSol. Since then he's repeatedly made shameful and juvenile remarks to me and demanded that I offer some proof that I was catching .com drops 10 years ago, like I have to prove something to him.

Where I come from you dont call someone out wthout putting something on the line. If he were to say to my face what he said on this forum it would be his nose and teeth on the line. However this is a civilized forumI have no intention of threatening him physically. But if a man calls you a liar then I feel he should have o pay a price when he's proven wrong.

I since challenged him that I will publiclly post a list of some of my .com dropcatches from '99. At first the wager was that if I was lying I would leave NP for good. He didnt really respond to that, just accused me of "more evasion" and tried to pretend that my posts are indecipherable - "6 paragraphsl of nonsense" as he puts it . So then in order to make it easier on him I offered to let him off with just a months exile for each 1999 dropcatch I post, and then lowered that to a week - while I'm still on the hook for a permenant vacation should I actually be the liar and fraud that snoopy intimates.

Heres the thread:

http://www.namepros.com/dot-tv/588734-geo-tv-is-stronger-than-ever.html

Still no word from stoopy. I guess he thinks he can just weasel out of it.

I think the upshot is that his word carries no weight in any way. He comes to NP apparently not to engage in constructive discourse but almost always provokes petty arguments. He is someone that we should all completely shun and ignore - if only for our own good and peace of mind.

Just revisited this thread, thanks for posting about your situation in the .TV section. Unfortunately the ignore feature doesn't block when others quote the person who must be ignored.

•••
Just revisited this thread, thanks for posting about your situation in the .TV section. Unfortunately the ignore feature doesn't block when others quote the person who must be ignored.

I see he's been back today. I guess I must be on his ignore list now. Isnt that ironic?

I consider it an honor to be ignored by you snoopy. Thank you!

:lol:

•••
It's been a few months since this happened. So... any updates on sales prices? Here are all sales (noted on DNSalePrice.com) from May to now:

May:
FAX.mobi: $5,500
HDI.mobi: $321
ETC.mobi: $321
DVO.mobi: $161
DCV.mobi: $60

June:
IOU.mobi: $3,000
RUS.mobi: $699

July:
ZCV.mobi: $60

August:
APS.MOBI: $2,000

The latter was from Afternic. Most were via SEDO auction.

•••
prices are still around reg free for the lowest quality ones.. and even decent quality ones.

•••
prices are still around reg free for the lowest quality ones.. and even decent quality ones.

The above are only the reported sales. Yeah, some of these don't even get reg fee, I know. My post was just an update for the curious :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back