IT.COM

.mobi LLL.mobi Possible-Buyout

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Archangel

randypendleton.comTop Member
Impact
Everyone knows that the LLL.mobi sold out long ago but eventually, many owners let their domains drop. I made a list a few days ago showing the available LLL.mobi domains and I'm a tad surprised.

There are 18,928 possible LLL combinations. When I complied the list, there were 1,984 LLL's available. But a decent amount were regged from then til now. So I'm thinking that since .mobi is still pretty new and many companies will surely develop more mobile-friendly websites, there could be another LLL.mobi buyout. I have no idea if it'll stay but I do foresee a buyout sometime soon.

GoDaddy is having a $7.99 (or so) .mobi special and several other registrars are having sales, too. I think it would be wise to pick up a few LLL's now for future investments. Even if LLL.mobis fail to turn a decent profit, you'll only be losing your reg fees. For those interested, here is a list of all LLL.mobis available right now. I'll try to keep this list updated. Reps are always appreciated :)

What is your opinion of LLL.mobi? Do you think ppl should take this small gamble? Anyway, here is the list as of Sunday May 31th 2009:

BUYOUT!

0 domains!
(5/31/09)

(1,984 were available around 3/1/09)
(1,943 were available on 3/6/09)
(1,916 were available on 3/11/09)
(1,865 were available on 3/26/09)
(1,294 were available on 4/22/09)
(1,267 were available on 4/28/09)
(1,254 were available on 5/11/09)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
40 in a week is meager. It would take a year to sell out and with the rate of drops you can extend that even further. I don't see LLL.mobi's selling out for some time given the current state of mobi's as an investment, the economy, and soured domainers that lost small fortunes investing. One guy I hear let drop 1500+ LLL.mobi's alone. That had to really hurt.

But keep this updated. It will be interesting to watch (for the second time).

•••
there's only a possible combination of 17,576. i have a LLL.mobi countdown hype thread going (its in the mobi section) - but im not compiling lists... just doing scans every month now.

new registrations have slowed down significantly, but i posted this a couple hours after the buyout finally got broken.. so this shows a bit about how the progress has been so far:

http://www.namepros.com/dot-mobi/550749-official-lll-mobi-countdown-hype-thread.html

labrocca said:
40 in a week is meager. It would take a year to sell out and with the rate of drops you can extend that even further.

indeed 40/week is nothing.... but there will be NO MORE LLL.mobi drops for at least 5 solid months, and those will only be sunrise regs and will be few and far between. it will be a solid 9 months before any LLL.mobi's can even start to drop in any decent quantity.

labrocca said:
I don't see LLL.mobi's selling out for some time given the current state of mobi's as an investment, the economy, and soured domainers that lost small fortunes investing. One guy I hear let drop 1500+ LLL.mobi's alone. That had to really hurt.

it was around 4,700.

but you've had me on ignore for nearly 3 years, so :alien:.

Last edited:
•••
buyout, if one ever happens, wouldn't be anytime soon. But I do figure that they'll be bought out again eventually. The first time was from hype, I'm assuming but once the hype wore down, a lot of drops occured. I don't see a huge potential in .mobi but I do with LLL's because on a cell/mobile device, it'd be quicker/easier to type in a LLL address. And just like on PCs, LLL's are easier to remember. Sure, it'll take a long time but I think LLL.mobi will sell out again someday soon... perhaps a year or so.

mjnels said:
there's only a possible combination of 17,576

Are you sure? I complied a list using MS Spreadsheet. I might have messed up on it but that isn't the number I came up with

•••
Current usage levels of the extension don't go anywhere near to jusitfying a buyout, that is not to say it won't happen again but if it does I think speculators will be throwing money against the wall yet again.

Here is some stats from the Top 1million Alexa list,

(number of domains appearing for different "alt" extensions)

.info 13,238
.biz 3,879
.tv 3,545
.us 3,340
.cc 2,129
.ws 1,202
.to 649
.me 578
.fm 483
.tk 282
.mobi 245
.asia 110
.travel 97
.jobs 34

Can you imagine the reaction if people said let's have a .cc or .ws buyout?, and as of right now those domains are far more popular than .mobi, by a factor of 5-10 times.

•••
labrocca said:
40 in a week is meager. It would take a year to sell out and with the rate of drops you can extend that even further.

As mentioned, there won't be as many drops for awhile and 40 a week x 52 weeks = 2,080. There aren't that many left. So a year is feasible, possible.

•••
well.. the problem is if the buyout doesnt happen again in the next 9 months people will REALLY start to drop their LLL.mobi from landrush. the reason it didnt happen en masse last year, was because the buyout was still held until 1 month after the "landrush anniversary"... and i was the only one telling people the buyout would be broken by one person dropping 4,700.

i dont think anyone really believed me about any of the LLL predictions i was making... here is an entertaining thread from 1 year ago:

http://www.namepros.com/dot-mobi/449665-how-much-is-the-lll-mobi.html

Archangel said:
Are you sure? I complied a list using MS Spreadsheet. I might have messed up on it but that isn't the number I came up with

ya, positive... its burned into my brain from running scans for the last year..

•••
snoop said:
Current usage levels of the extension don't go anywhere near to jusitfying a buyout, that is not to say it won't happen again but if it does I think speculators will be throwing money against the wall yet again.

Here is some stats from the Top 1million Alexa list,

(number of domains appearing for different "alt" extensions)

.info 13,238
.biz 3,879
.tv 3,545
.us 3,340
.cc 2,129
.ws 1,202
.to 649
.me 578
.fm 483
.tk 282
.mobi 245
.asia 110
.travel 97
.jobs 34

Can you imagine the reaction if people said let's have a .cc or .ws buyout?, and as of right now those domains are far more popular than .mobi, by a factor of 5-10 times.

I agree to that. There aren't as many developed .mobi's out there. The potential I see is from the fact that this is a very advanced age and ppl are using mobiles more and more often to use the net. A friend of mine doesn't even have a PC anymore & relies on her cell to access the Web. A buyout sounds tricky right now but it's justifiable. I don't see a prob with regging one or 2, just in case. It's a small investment & I think any domainer could afford to risk a $7.99 imvestment

•••
an alexa list for .mobi domains?

ah, i know snoop is smarter than that.... i dont think there is an alexa mobile toolbar anyhow... surprised any are even listed in the top 1 million.

•••
mjnels said:

ah, i know snoop is smarter than that.... i dont think there is an alexa mobile toolbar anyhow... surprised any are even listed in the top 1 million.

Good point, I didn't think of that. I recant my earlier post and will look for some proper data on usage.

•••
mjnels said:

I see the 500.mobi in your sig is doing well. Numbers work better than letters for .mobi IMO but it should show that there is some interest in short .mobis.

•••
The economy is killing every extension across the board. There's probably be no buyout. Who would be willing to wait a year and pay registration fees? Especially after they were burned.

Might be 3-5 years down the road when the economy recovers.

•••
tech4 said:
The economy is killing every extension across the board. There's probably be no buyout. Who would be willing to wait a year and pay registration fees? Especially after they were burned.

Might be 3-5 years down the road when the economy recovers.

The economy isn't "killing every extension" across the board. The entire industry has seen a bust but some extensions have declined far more than others, .mobi seeing perhaps the largest overall declines. Overall the speculative names have been hit the hardest, stuff that doesn't really pay the bills and is reliant on other domainers.

•••
We can agree that there will not be a buyout?
Unless someone promote these heavily to new domainers.

Anyway, that's a lot of losses for 4,700 names. If they sold it in early 2008 could have recovered something.

•••
tech4 said:
Unless someone promote these heavily to new domainers.

There might be another buyout in a year or so. Why would anyone invest in these? There is speculation on that. Personally, I think ppl will reg a few and hold on to them. After all, that same tactic had worked for LLLL.com (but they also fell through for the better part). I couldn't see anyone regging 100 of these for investment. But there are thousands of investors out there and I believe a lot of them will take 1 or 2 of these, jus to see what -- if anything -- happens.

•••
tech4 said:

nah, there will be another buyout eventually.

tech4 said:
Anyway, that's a lot of losses for 4,700 names. If they sold it in early 2008 could have recovered something.

they told me they were trying to control the supply. makes sense, but i would have hedged my bet a lot more personally.

and, they just made a decision to not throw good money after bad. it could have potentially been a lot more losses if they renewed another year and decided to drop the next year.

•••
Its still too risky, investing in 1 name for example and waiting at least 2 years. The registration fee is at least $15.00 USD assuming it costs 7.50/name. In 2 years if the name were to gain value, it would likely be under $100 USD.

A $85 gain in the best scenario, otherwise putting $15.00 USD now could create no return whatsover in 2 years. Forcing the owner to either drop it or renew for another few years.

Might not be too tempting to register a name for a year, because we know its not going to pick up value in this economy and anticipate more dropping. Registering for 2 years is like buying 15 lottery tickets in hopping to make $85 at best or lose the $15.

It might be more logical to go spend it on food.

Last edited:
•••
tech4 said:
Its still too risky, investing in 1 name for example and waiting at least 2 years. The registration fee is at least $15.00 USD assuming it costs 7.50/name. In 2 years if the name were to gain value, it would likely be under $100 USD.

A 85% gain in the best scenario, otherwise putting $15.00 USD now could create no return whatsover in 2 years. Forcing the owner to either drop it or renew for another few years.

Might not be too tempting to register a name for a year, because we know its not going to pick up value in this economy and anticipate more dropping. Registering for 2 years is like buying 15 lottery tickets in hopping to make $85 at best or lose the $15.

It might be more logical to go spend it on food.

This is why I said domainers might reg 1 or 2 but not much more.

But you aren't looking at something: Some ppl saw potential in LLLL.coms and others didn't. Although a lot of these ppl made little with them (or a lot if they sold early last year), some scored big. I'm sure the owner of something like ABAB.com was taunted for owning/renewing the domain for 3 years, costing him about $25-40 total, but he laughed his @$$ off when he sold it for mid/late $xxx or more.

I'm not saying the owner of ABAB.com did. I was just making an example.

I'm willing to lose $20-30 for 1 LLL.mobi +renewals if it grows to a decent value in tume. But I wouldn't be willing to risk $200-300 for 10. That's why I believe regging one or 2 isn't a bad idea. Most successful investors can afford to risk chump change.

•••
Archangel said:
I see the 500.mobi in your sig is doing well. Numbers work better than letters for .mobi IMO but it should show that there is some interest in short .mobis.

about to close a $x,xxx deal with an end-user for a LLLL.mobi (4 letter) domain i had for sale in the forums @ $30 with no takers. picked it up on the drop about 3 months ago.

gotta love those people that contact you via whois email and need a domain "for a school project"...

•••
Buyout ... not any time soon (see below), in my judgement. :|

There is currently a VERY SERIOUS credibility problem right now with mTLD and the ".MOBI" extension ... in not enforcing RE-revised development deadlines for the auctioned Premium Domains, as well as in leaving open the lingering questions as to whether (and their deadlines) there are firm development requirements for the 1 and 2 character domains - both of these unfortunate circumstances casting doubt on the entire platform as there is no assurance that mTLD any longer supports the critical developed .MOBI "ecosystem", IMHO. :guilty:

Prices are off 85% - 95%+ from their peak, mass DROPS continue, and nothing will change unless and until mTLD addresses these questions and concerns! :yell: :imho:
The buyout could happen with some candor and immediate action from mTLD, in other words.

Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
Buyout ... not any time soon (see below), in my judgement. :|

There is currently a VERY SERIOUS credibility problem right now with mTLD and the ".MOBI" extension ... in not enforcing RE-revised development deadlines for the auctioned Premium Domains, as well as in leaving open the lingering questions as to whether (and their deadlines) there are firm development requirements for the 1 and 2 character domains - both of these unfortunate circumstances casting doubt on the entire platform as there is no assurance that mTLD any longer supports the critical developed .MOBI "ecosystem", IMHO. :guilty:

i agree the buyout will take a while... but the reasons you give are things domain speculators dont really care about or base their investment decisions on.

Jeff said:
Prices are off 85% - 95%+ from their peak, mass DROPS continue, and nothing will change unless and until mTLD addresses these questions and concerns! :yell: :imho:
The buyout could happen with some candor and immediate action from mTLD, in other words.

well, its a good thing the peak is referring to insane bubble prices. now if prices were down 85-95% from the landrush price of $60, then i'd be in trouble.

mass drops were bound to happen because speculators always register worthless crap that wouldnt even be worth anything in .COM.... so not a good measuring stick for a TLD's health.

•••
If I had $15k sitting around and was looking to invest it, I'd consider doing a buyout myself.

$15k can buy 1,950 LLL.mobi's..... mmmm...... yummy.....

•••
You must be joking, $15k registering now, meaning it will expire March 2010. Not sure if thats logical.

•••
Eh, it's not for everyone.

Might pay off... might not... but that's the fun of risky investments. :blink:

I'm not sure myself if I'm serious, but it's interesting to think about... and dream of controlling 10% of the LLL.mobi's.... :guilty:

Last edited:
•••
it could be done for 14k if registered somewhere that costs $6.99 per domain (resellerclub.com)

depending on how long the next 1,000 domains take to sell-out, i would consider doing a buyout too... but its way too risky right now.. i dont want to own nearly 2,000 of the crappiest ones. no way.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back