NameSilo

.mobi LLL.mobi Possible-Buyout

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Archangel

randypendleton.comTop Member
Impact
Everyone knows that the LLL.mobi sold out long ago but eventually, many owners let their domains drop. I made a list a few days ago showing the available LLL.mobi domains and I'm a tad surprised.

There are 18,928 possible LLL combinations. When I complied the list, there were 1,984 LLL's available. But a decent amount were regged from then til now. So I'm thinking that since .mobi is still pretty new and many companies will surely develop more mobile-friendly websites, there could be another LLL.mobi buyout. I have no idea if it'll stay but I do foresee a buyout sometime soon.

GoDaddy is having a $7.99 (or so) .mobi special and several other registrars are having sales, too. I think it would be wise to pick up a few LLL's now for future investments. Even if LLL.mobis fail to turn a decent profit, you'll only be losing your reg fees. For those interested, here is a list of all LLL.mobis available right now. I'll try to keep this list updated. Reps are always appreciated :)

What is your opinion of LLL.mobi? Do you think ppl should take this small gamble? Anyway, here is the list as of Sunday May 31th 2009:

BUYOUT!

0 domains!
(5/31/09)

(1,984 were available around 3/1/09)
(1,943 were available on 3/6/09)
(1,916 were available on 3/11/09)
(1,865 were available on 3/26/09)
(1,294 were available on 4/22/09)
(1,267 were available on 4/28/09)
(1,254 were available on 5/11/09)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd like to see where your 10% figure came from.

Simple math really, look at the list of top 100 global companies and you'll find at least 10 that are actively using .mobi.

Telecom Italia
Daimler
Nokia
Barclays
Royal Bank of Canada
Microsoft
Bank of America
Vodafone
JPMorgan Chase
Volkswagen Group

There are likely more, I'm just going by memory.

Secondly I'm talking about popular websites. Large real world companies is not the same thing as popular on the Internet, who cares what Chevron or Berkshire Hathaway uses for their mobile website.

Therein is your straw man, you tear down .mobi based on false standards, as if no one cares what the top 100 global companies do and all that matters is current internet companies.

•••
•••
they're all gone now... ChineseDomain was the one to notice the guy chipping away at em tonight... 1 guy - 1,100+ LLL.mobi heh

•••
good luck to everyone that owns lll.mobi

cheers
rob

•••
they're all gone now... ChineseDomain was the one to notice the guy chipping away at em tonight... 1 guy - 1,100+ LLL.mobi heh

I just verified this: THE LLL.MOBI HAS BEEN BOUGHT OUT!

Now the question is: Was it a smart idea for us to register a few while they were still sitting there? That has yet to be seen... but this thread lived up to what I hoped it'd have been. Thanks for everyone who participated and as always, post your thoughts below if you have anythng to share. Reps would be appreciated by anyone who enjoyed this thread and followed the buyout to the end. I'll say more on this later on. I'm tired. For now, good luck to all LLL.mobi owners! We might need a lot of it.

•••
you know, i had a thread running 2 months before this one... started it the night the buyout was broken.

i will take 2 chocolate chip cookies and 3 macadamia.

•••
I wasn't aware of your thread until awhile after I posted this one. It was originally in the domain discussion forum & the mods moved it here, a forum I've never read at the time. Sorry if I "stole your thunder." It wasn't intended :) But every stat I posted was researched by me prior to adding here. I never stole anything from your thread :)

you know, i had a thread running 2 months before this one... started it the night the buyout was broken.

i will take 2 chocolate chip cookies and 3 macadamia.

•••
i dont understand what any of this has to do with my prize... chocolate chip and macadamia please.

•••
YOWWWW!

A surprise, but when you think of it it shouldn't be. Someone had over 4000 of these for the last two years, and at a higher cost per year, no doubt. The LLL buyout in info, us, biz and several other country codes is holding and drops vanish quickly. Randy and Mjnels - you let people have an opportunity at these, and if the economy does OK in the next few years I suspect they will be pleased.

In a way, though, it is not good to have so many with one person, unless he is expecting to hold for a least a few years and then sell slowly - this many sold or dropped at once would roil the market, as we have seen in the last few months.

•••
Simple math really, look at the list of top 100 global companies and you'll find at least 10 that are actively using .mobi.

Telecom Italia
Daimler
Nokia
Barclays
Royal Bank of Canada
Microsoft
Bank of America
Vodafone
JPMorgan Chase
Volkswagen Group

There are likely more, I'm just going by memory.

Therein is your straw man, you tear down .mobi based on false standards, as if no one cares what the top 100 global companies do and all that matters is current internet companies.

So Microsoft's usage = 1% of global market share because they use .mobi for one site (xbox)?

How many other examples from the above are based on bias rather than reality?

I tried "Telecom Italia mobile site" and got nothing. "Vodafone mobile site" gave me nothing as well. I went as far as typing in "vodafone .mobi" and the top site was "mtld.mobi"....the irony. Vodafone.mobi was listed though, 4th after mtld and vodafone.com (2), does that sound like vodafone.mobi is being heavily promoted by anyone other than mtld?

Daimler I tried as well, I got to the point of typing "daimler .mobi" I was so desperate to find this site. It did find daimiler.mobi, and it states "Grab daimler.mobi before it becomes a business website!".

The rest I didn't bother with, I'm guessing it is more of the same.

•••
So Microsoft's usage = 1% of global market share because they use .mobi for one site (xbox)?

How many other examples from the above are based on bias rather than reality?

I tried "Telecom Italia mobile site" and got nothing. "Vodafone mobile site" gave me nothing as well. I went as far as typing in "vodafone .mobi" and the top site was "mtld.mobi"....the irony. Vodafone.mobi was listed though, 4th after mtld and vodafone.com (2), does that sound like vodafone.mobi is being heavily promoted by anyone other than mtld?

Daimler I tried as well, I got to the point of typing "daimler .mobi" I was so desperate to find this site. It did find daimiler.mobi, and it states "Grab daimler.mobi before it becomes a business website!".

The rest I didn't bother with, I'm guessing it is more of the same.

Oh Snoop, always the cynic. visit telecomitalia.mobi promoted boldly on their homepage telecomitalia.com, mercedes-benz.mobi, e-class.mobi, nokia.mobi, ovi.mobi, and the list goes on. Never did I claim that Microsoft's usage represents 1% of global market share so stuff the spin. I said that about 10% of the top 100 global companies as ranked by Forbes are using .mobi. I've proven it yet you want to detract from the facts and argue about how well they rank for what search terms to dispel how serious their commitment is to the usage of the extension. The companies I listed are using .mobi in a substantive way, period.

•••
I said that about 10% of the top 100 global companies as ranked by Forbes are using .mobi.

Seems the argument is changing. Can you state clearly what kind of share of mobile browsing you think .mobi has?

•••
Seems the argument is changing. Can you state clearly what kind of share of mobile browsing you think .mobi has?

I just saw the results of your .info auction. No wonder you're so bitter towards the rest of us. In fact, the abysmal $61 highest bid you got for your lot of 2001 .info names illustrates just how not-credible your judgement really is. You've got a lot of nerve telling .mobi supporters how bad their judgement is.

•••
I just saw the results of your .info auction. No wonder you're so bitter towards the rest of us. In fact, the abysmal $61 highest bid you got for your lot of 2001 .info names illustrates just how not-credible your judgement really is. You've got a lot of nerve telling .mobi supporters how bad their judgement is.

I've been bagging .info and other alt tld's for years and those names sold for peanuts, so I think it kind of proves the point. Especially in today's market those names are turd. So there you go, I have first hand experience in investing in lousy extensions.

I still made a profit overall on the extension though, most I sold quite a while back, these are the remaining ones that couldn't get a bid on Sedo so I put them all up on ebay rather than dropping them. Thankfully I never put much into these names, only bought some names I thought were particularly cheap. Really I should have sold them the day I bought them, would have been a far better result, that is life.

Last edited:
•••

What has changed in my statements?

Lets look at the top 100 global companies as rated by Forbes and you'll see that the .mobi adoption rate thus far is at about 10%. The Global 2000 - Forbes.com

I said that about 10% of the top 100 global companies as ranked by Forbes are using .mobi.

I'm not the one changing here, first you wanted me to prove my assertion that 10% of the top 100 global companies are using .mobi which I did, then you shifted the discussion to what search terms these sites are ranking in, and now you want me to provide you the specific mobile market share .mobi has... Sorry, I'm not interested in this shell game.

Last edited:
•••
In a way, though, it is not good to have so many with one person, unless he is expecting to hold for a least a few years and then sell slowly - this many sold or dropped at once would roil the market, as we have seen in the last few months.

I'd say that gradually these are getting spread out into smaller holdings. If someone had 4000 and dropped them all last year, and now those have been bought up in such a way that the biggest chunk was 1000, it's getting less likely as things go on that there will be a huge drop of LLL.mobis like the last time around.

The more they get dispersed, the better chance that a buyout will hold.

•••
Let me say this: I do respect you, snoop, but you are a little biased with no real hold of reality. Now I know that you will defend yourself and I know that doing so might seem justified to you. But truth be told, I believe your biased opinions hold no merit or weight. I know that you've made pretty decent cash with the heavy-hitters (com/net/org) but you profit little to none off the other extensions. I am not looking at the fact that you've been a member here since 12/2004. I am not looking at the fact that you have over 3,000 posts. All that I'm looking at is that you are jaded by everything that isn't among the top 3 extensions. And your disdain is driven by the fact that you cannot profit well from them. You are as much of a professional as I but you are forgetting one simple fact, a fact that affects this entire game: EXTENSIONS THAT ARE NOT IN THE "POPULAR THREE" DO NOT SELL IN THE EXACT SAME WAY AS THOSE IN THE THREE! Selling, say, a .info is an art in itself, the same in ways yet different as well from selling a .com. So you cannot profit well from non com/net/org but most of us can. We know how to approach buyers for these type of domains. We know how to price them and we know what kind of ppl are interested in them. WE MAKE MONEY from them. And your entire bias stems from the fact that you don't know how to market or sell them. Snoop, I've once bought a .info and sold it a week or 2 later for about 7 1/2 times MORE than I pard for it. Talk about a ROI! This is not meant to be a slam or flame against you. But I need to tell you right now that every single negative post you've had here at NP, about the non-premium-3, are null, void and hold no merit. Don't castigate an extension because YOU haven't personally profitted from it. And don't bother saying that there are others who've lost money in an extension because there are many others who've succeeded where you failed. Don't get bitter because you failed at these. If com/net/org is your bread & butter, stick with them. But don't bother smearing the names of other extensions because you have a grunge against them. You're a professional, snoop, just as I am. If you can't succeed at one niche or extension, just stay away from it. But don't bother telling us -- the ppl who've made lots of money from these -- that these are worthless investments. And please don't change arguements in your favor & claim that you were making a valid point from the original arguement. You're confusing, dude.

•••
I know that you've made pretty decent cash with the heavy-hitters (com/net/org) but you profit little to none off the other extensions. I am not looking at the fact that you've been a member here since 12/2004. I am not looking at the fact that you have over 3,000 posts. All that I'm looking at is that you are jaded by everything that isn't among the top 3 extensions. And your disdain is driven by the fact that you cannot profit well from them.

I think that is the point really and is what most have experienced, the people who have made money have done it though .com and dominant country codes, with very few having made decent money from anything else.

EXTENSIONS THAT ARE NOT IN THE "POPULAR THREE" DO NOT SELL IN THE EXACT SAME WAY AS THOSE IN THE THREE! Selling, say, a .info is an art in itself, the same in ways yet different as well from selling a .com. So you cannot profit well from non com/net/org but most of us can.

If there is a healthy market for an extension popular keyword names will sell for decent money. Claiming selling certain extension is an artform is just a nice way of saying they don't sell very well.

Don't castigate an extension because YOU haven't personally profitted from it.

As I said above though I have made a profit from .info, but the it is nothing like the growth the rest of the market saw. It has underperformed over many years.

Snoop, I've once bought a .info and sold it a week or 2 later for about 7 1/2 times MORE than I pard for it. Talk about a ROI!

Cool but that might mean you bought a name for reg fee and sold it for $50 bucks. What is your overall level of profit from .info? ie all money recieved- all money spent, that is what counts, talking just about an ROI on one sale and nothing more doesn't mean much.

•••
Lol I clearly have not been paying enough attention to the mobi world. I guess
LLL have been bought out! This makes me happy :laugh:

•••
Lol I clearly have not been paying enough attention to the mobi world. I guess
LLL have been bought out! This makes me happy :laugh:

:sold:

•••
LLL.mobi(s) will bulk dropped again in this September or after ?

•••
Just a simple note:
If every mobile phone in the future has the capability to support/browse full webpage like iphone.
Developers will not have intention to develop any mobile compliant site. I think they prefer this way as they dont need to maintain 2 sites (web & mobile). Without maintaining mobile site leads to productivity gain.

slowly, ppl tends to forget .mobi.

Please advice.

•••
Just a simple note:
If every mobile phone in the future has the capability to support/browse full webpage like iphone.
Developers will not have intention to develop any mobile compliant site. I think they prefer this way as they dont need to maintain 2 sites (web & mobile). Without maintaining mobile site leads to productivity gain.

Please advice.

you should get iphone sites like:

thesun.co.uk/iphone , iphone.foxnews.com

iphone is not full webpage

and .mobi can build full webpage sites for pc about mobile pho

•••
Just a simple note:

Please advice.

well according the gartner group ...

"As a proportion of all mobile device sales, smartphones remained stable at 12 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2008, from 11 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2007."

12% is not exactly every mobile phone

info found here... Gartner Says Worldwide Smartphone Sales Reached Its Lowest Growth Rate With 3.7 Per Cent Increase in Fourth Quarter of 2008

•••
I know that you've made pretty decent cash with the heavy-hitters (com/net/org) but you profit little to none off the other extensions.

lol...and you think that helps your argument? haha

Nice on the LLL.mobi sellout though. Maybe my one holdout mobi might one day be worth the $300 offer I passed up. Shoulda, coulda, woulda type of thing.

Snoop is bullish on just about everything non-com or important CCLTDs and that's probably a very wise move. One only has to look at the major players in this industry to see trends. COM COM COM...if you're a reseller/parking domainer you have little choice but to focus on real earners. All the other TLD's make for good development but most of you haven't ever developed a successful site.

12% is not exactly every mobile phone

And what was it 3 years ago? I bet it's 80% or more in 3 years from now. What will be your position on mobi then?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back