It's 2023, GoDaddy doesn't allow grace period domains to be transferred

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

omelet

Top Member
Impact
Hello folk,

@GoDaddy

I have three expired domains but are still in the grace period.

Godaddy blocked me from transferring them away, saying they must be active domains.

Guys, see what this customer service said here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.52.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.52.25 PM.png
    60 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.52.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.52.36 PM.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.52.42 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.52.42 PM.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 85
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is this surprising? I always assumed an expired domain couldn't be transferred.

•••
See what the Godaddy customer care said:

“To better help you, I just checked with the account for you. I see the domains you are provided are expired and they has to be renewed now inorder to transfer away. Does that work for you?”

“To be on same page I can help you initiate the transfer, but unfortunately if there are not active the transfer would not be successful”

“I will make it more clear to you, I see the domains are expired on October 24 2023, and to make sure the transfer is successful the domains are to be active. Hope you understand.”

“I will make it more clear for you, as per the transfer guidelines the expired domain could not be transferred away.”

“However if you would have came before the expiry I would have happily help you with the transfer. Still you can renew the domains, I can help you with the transfer right away. Does that sound good?”

“Then Unfortunately the transfer could not be possible. Hope you understand.”

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 1.00.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 1.00.05 PM.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 1.06.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 1.06.49 PM.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 29
•••
•••
I believe according to registrar policy, expired domains can and should be transferable. I just experienced this with namesilo few weeks ago, so digged into rules and if you have AUTH code and domains are unlocked prior to expiration, they should be transferable. I told that to Namesilo, after my transfer was rejected and all went through after.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@GoDaddy

are you against this?

On ICANN:

My domain name has just expired. Can my registrar require me to pay for a renewal before I can transfer the domain name to a new registrar?​

No. You have the right to transfer an expired domain. Registrars are not allowed to deny a transfer due to expiration or nonrenewal, (unless you haven't paid for a previous registration period).

•••
I am chatting with the 2nd live agent.

•••
•••
GoDaddy's live agents are extremely arrogant, forceful, and difficult to negotiate with. They insist that all expired domains cannot be transferred. :oops::oops::oops::coffee::coffee::coffee:

@James Iles

Last edited:
•••
I am quite shocked that GoDaddy's live agents are extremely arrogant, forceful, and difficult to negotiate with. They insist that all expired domains cannot be transferred.

@James Iles
I guess they are using the same tactics on people owing 1 or 2 developed company domains and for domain investors. This may work with uneducated end users, but not with domain investors.

•••
Haha, some agent said

Godaddy has our own rules....we are different from ICANN ....

HAHAHAHA

•••
Hi @omelet,
Thanks for sharing this. Please could you email [email protected] with some expansion on your original message in this thread? We'd like to connect with you further.

•••
Hi @omelet,
Thanks for sharing this. Please could you email [email protected] with some expansion on your original message in this thread? We'd like to connect with you further.

If you treat me, a 14-year-experienced domainer, in such an unfriendly manner, I can't begin to imagine how you treat others.

The most challenging aspect is dealing with a company like GoDaddy. You dominate the industry, charging three times more than others, restricting people from freely transferring domains, and blatantly violating ICANN rules without any shame.

•••
Hi @omelet,
Hi Godaddy. Please, could you clarify to all NamePros community if, like @omelet is saying, you require to renew a recently expired domain name (in the 30 days period just after its expiration date), in order to transfer it to another registrar?

Because it seems it's a violation of the ICANN Transfer Policy.

See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2017-10-10-en Point number 11.

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
From ICANN site:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2017-10-10-en

-------------------------------------------------------

11. My domain name has just expired. Can my registrar require me to pay for a renewal before I can transfer the domain name to a new registrar?

No. You have the right to transfer an expired domain. Registrars are not allowed to deny a transfer due to expiration or nonrenewal, (unless you haven't paid for a previous registration period).

-------------------------------------------------------

13. What can I do if I believe my registrar is in violation of the ICANN Transfer Policy?

If you believe your registrar is in violation of the ICANN Transfer Policy, you may file a complaint with ICANN by going to:
https://forms.icann.org/en/resources/compliance/complaints/transfer/form.

•••
Hi @omelet,

Is that a dedicated address for people who have a clue how domains work and agents servicing this address are instructed to comply to ICANN rules? B-)

•••
•••
It could have something to do with Whois Privacy and/or other protection plans.

(posting from StackExchange)

1700183950343.png

NameCheap also mentions that Whois Privacy Protection should be disabled at GoDaddy. If you're no longer able to disable it, then you might experience problems.

1700184172161.png

Last edited:
•••
Is this surprising? I always assumed an expired domain couldn't be transferred.
According to ICANN registrars MUST allow transfers out during grace renewal period. If they don’t you can file a complaint.

Last edited:
•••
See what the Godaddy customer care said:

“To better help you, I just checked with the account for you. I see the domains you are provided are expired and they has to be renewed now inorder to transfer away. Does that work for you?”

“To be on same page I can help you initiate the transfer, but unfortunately if there are not active the transfer would not be successful”

“I will make it more clear to you, I see the domains are expired on October 24 2023, and to make sure the transfer is successful the domains are to be active. Hope you understand.”

“I will make it more clear for you, as per the transfer guidelines the expired domain could not be transferred away.”

“However if you would have came before the expiry I would have happily help you with the transfer. Still you can renew the domains, I can help you with the transfer right away. Does that sound good?”

“Then Unfortunately the transfer could not be possible. Hope you understand.”
Tell them to stop playing games and give the codes. Expired domains get moved all the time.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Hi @omelet,
Hey don't just solve my problem. I want you to solve this systematically and I want no others facing the same problems. Can you promise?

I have brought this to your CEO attention. You CANNOT do this any more, unfortunately. We are your daddies.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I have collected all the evidence and reported to ICANN

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back