IT.COM

debate Is there any purpose to offer domains for sale to women in leadership positions?

NameSilo
Watch

Emil K.

Established Member
Impact
By selling domains to end-users, I got an impression that the women I contacted are absolutely not interested in buying domains.

Since women in almost all industries are increasingly occupying managerial positions, this could constitute a major barrier to this domain selling mode (via cold emails) in the future.

Do most of them have no idea what the domains are and what their significance is, or it’s about something else? (The issue relates to the territory of the USA.)

Does it make sense to send offers to them, or should them simply be avoided?

What are your experiences in this regard?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow.. That is such a mysogynistic post. What makes you think that women do not understand the significance of domains? Perhaps they are not interested in the domains as they are either not relevant or not good!

I suspect it is the latter but since your domains are not really listed, I'll reserve that opinion.

Tagging @Kate , @NameOmnia , @Corey for a better response that I can likely post

•••
That is such a mysogynistic post.

I have nothing against women, of course, or against their penetration into business leadership. On the contrary.

Simply said, I had a negligible response to my mails by women in comparison to men. That's all.

And when they answer (very rare), then it's something in the style: 'I already have a domain, what will I do with one more?'

•••
I have nothing against women, of course, or against their penetration into business leadership. On the contrary.
Re-read your original post and then this sentence. They both contradict each other

•••
Re-read your original post and then this sentence. They both contradict each other

Which part you don’t like in my original post?

•••
If you call a company with a secretary, the secretary will most likely be a woman and know nothing about domains and say something like "We already have a website" and hang up on you. If you speak to a woman in the marketing dept, she will probably understand very well the value of a good domain name.

•••
@Emil K. your attitude reflects that of an inexperienced domainer (a newbie)

good domains sell, an end user is an end user! regardless of gender

Cheers
Corey

•••
And when they answer (very rare), then it's something in the style: 'I already have a domain, what will I do with one more?'

Sounds like the average outbound experience, IMO.

•••
First off this is certainly not a gender issue, Women understand domains the same as men. We don't know what the names are, like in 90% of all posts the most important thing is left out.

If someone is emailing a name like Lilac.com or Leads.com or Capital.com that's one thing. If someone is emailing Business88.com or Mixolixo.com that's another thing.

Outbound is hard when you have great names and reasonable pricing, it's very hard to impossible when the right end user and right names are not in play.

•••
Sounds like the average outbound experience, IMO.

@Emil K. your attitude reflects that of an inexperienced domainer (a newbie)

I did not intend to philosophize and present new theories.

My post should sound like a question to experienced users.

My goal was to not lose in the future less time sending emails that will be moved to the garbage (assuming the domain is relatively good).

And yes, I consider myself still an inexperienced beginner ( at least as far as domains are concerned :xf.cool: ).

Last edited:
•••
Secretaries are often women, and they are the first line of defense against spam in the company (after the antispam itself). So indeed they filter out a lot of unsolicited mail, which can lead to high rejection rate from women. But maybe I misunderstood what it's all about (being a woman) :xf.embarrassed:

•••
Okay so what are your stats when contacting female to males..
Are they 1 to 1 (for every one male, you also contacted one female)
Are they 2 to 1 (for every two males, you also contacted one female)
Are they 1000 to 1...

Are females your target market...or are your domain gender nuetral

•••
But maybe I misunderstood what it's all about (being a woman) :xf.embarrassed:
A woman with a TR of 79...at least 79 sales (buying/selling) on this forum!
Nice stats....

•••
Maybe if I substitute the word men in your post...

How does it sound to you?

"By selling domains to end-users, I got an impression that the men I contacted are absolutely not interested in buying domains.

Since men in almost all industries are increasingly occupying managerial positions, this could constitute a major barrier to this domain selling mode (via cold emails) in the future.

Do most of them have no idea what the domains are and what their significance is, or it’s about something else? (The issue relates to the territory of the USA.)

Does it make sense to send offers to them, or should them simply be avoided?"

Cheers
Corey

•••
•••
I think what he's saying it a least partially true, he is just saying it the wrong way.

There are differences between genders and when it comes to males, there are more collectors, hoarders and accumulators of potentially valuable properties. Look at any major investment or collectible properties (that aren't money/stock/bond/fund-related) like art or pop culture and it'll be almost entirely male-dominated - if a guy currently owns 700 valuable paintings, he's already looking for number 701 so they're an easier sale. There are certainly exceptions, but I'm speaking in general terms here.

So I think the OP's comment would be better written as:

By selling domains to end-users, I got an impression that the women I contacted are absolutely not interested in buying even more superfluous domains that they or their companies don't need.

•••

People having no idea about a product, or about its significance, are usually the prime target for marketers, imo.

•••
I suspect it is the latter but since your domains are not really listed, I'll reserve that opinion.

If you speak to a woman in the marketing dept, she will probably understand very well the value of a good domain name.

First off this is certainly not a gender issue, Women understand domains the same as men. We don't know what the names are, like in 90% of all posts the most important thing is left out.

Secretaries are often women, and they are the first line of defense against spam in the company (after the antispam itself). So indeed they filter out a lot of unsolicited mail, which can lead to high rejection rate from women.

So I think the OP's comment would be better written as:

By selling domains to end-users, I got an impression that the women I contacted are absolutely not interested in buying even more superfluous domains that they or their companies don't need.

Ok, here is a concrete example, in fact the situation about which I created this thread (and not to cause feminist reactions to allegedly underestimating female intelligence and potential abilities).

About my domain, JewelryStoreNewYork.com (1,600 exact match searches per month in USA on Google) I found 100 sites, whose owners might be interested in buying it. Of course, these are websites owned by Jewelers whose stores are located in the New York area.

To my surprise, it turned out that 85% of women's owners. I was surprised, I must note this because of possible feminist reactions - not because I think women are less gifted for this job, but because of the fact that here in Europe, where I live, the vast majority of jewelers are men.

Then I created this thread, expecting to bring out personal statistics of more experienced members of this forum, regarding the interest of women to trade domains in general.

Since, apart from the criticism that I am a chauvinist, I did not receive any specific advice, I sent about 150 e-mails with offers for selling the mentioned domain, mostly to the direct email addresses of the owners of those jewelry stores. In the subject line I wrote: Jeweler Store New York.

The result: my email was opened (read) by 8 men and only 2 women. Unfortunately, there were no concrete offers for the purchase. That is sad, having in mind that most of the domains under which these sites are worth nothing, and some are funny (MadeInEarthUS.com, QuietStorms.com, BrooklynCharm.com, ShapeOfLies.com, TheEndIsNearBrooklyn.com, Mr-Diamond-USA.com, OutletteNYC.com, YoursAndMine.com, CatbirdNYC.com etc.), and most of others begin with the name or last name of the owner(s), probably with the intention of becoming a brand on a distant day, for which the chances are very small due to the enormous competition.

In short, the domain travels to Afternic and Sedo with great chances to expire before it is sold.

BTW, I note that I also sent mails about other domains to owners of sites where the owners were men and women at about 50:50 ratio. Emails were mostly opened (read) and sometimes bought by men, until the response of women was negligible.

IMO, women are far less interested in this topic, so knowledge in that area is limited to them. Of course, I'm talking about most women; respect for exceptions.

•••
My view is that women in leadership positions are intelligent and knowledgeable about their particular industry - since they did have to "break through" the "male leadership barrier".

I do not think that the issue you encountered is a gender thing, but more of a specific case-by-case company executive thing. It is like asking a casual internet user if they know what "Web 2.0" is? If someone can not see value in a certain offer he/she will decline, no matter what gender.

•••
By selling domains to end-users, I got an impression that the women I contacted are absolutely not interested in buying domains.

Since women in almost all industries are increasingly occupying managerial positions, this could constitute a major barrier to this domain selling mode (via cold emails) in the future.

What are your experiences in this regard?

1) women in leadership position may not have the time to deal with your offer
as eventually they need to work more then men
2) eventually domain domain sucks
- or did it sell to a man ?

•••
In the subject line I wrote: Jeweler Store New York.

That was your mistake. You should set it as " JewelryStoreNewYork.com ". The full domain name. Otherwise - why you surprise they send an email with such generic and spammy looking subj to spam or just ignore it?

most of the domains under which these sites are worth nothing, and some are funny (MadeInEarthUS.com, QuietStorms.com, BrooklynCharm.com, ShapeOfLies.com, TheEndIsNearBrooklyn.com, Mr-Diamond-USA.com, OutletteNYC.com, YoursAndMine.com, CatbirdNYC.com etc.), and most of others begin with the name or last name of the owner(s), probably with the intention of becoming a brand on a distant day, for which the chances are very small due to the enormous competition.

My friend, by this comment you show your total lack of understanding of marketing, of business expertise. All these names, or at least a half of them, are brands. Something that has a real value, an asset. Something they distinguish from their competitors with. While you are offering them this dull flat boring faceless generic term, JewelryStoreNewYork.com. Which is good for getting some additional search traffic, but really bad as a brand.

•••
not hurt to try!, after all its just an email ! only cost you $0
but if you saying, to ignored women, I am sure most ppl will not agree with you.

•••
My friend, by this comment you show your total lack of understanding of marketing, of business expertise. All these names, or at least a half of them, are brands. Something that has a real value, an asset. Something they distinguish from their competitors with. While you are offering them this dull flat boring faceless generic term, JewelryStoreNewYork.com. Which is good for getting some additional search traffic, but really bad as a brand.

OK, but in that case most of them want to build a brand from an existing domain name.

The vast majority of domains are based on the form: NameMyBusiness.extension.

If he (she) is already in the stage of building his brand on the existing domain, why would he (she) buy another domain at all?

So it turns out that it does not even have to offer domains in this way (via cold-emails) to anyone, because they all think that domains that already possess is the ideal one?

It would make this business, or at least this kind of work, meaningless, isn’t it?

I do not consider the domain that I offer to be something that needs to become a brand, but as an ancillary tool to increase the site's visibility. IMO, because if someone looking for a jewelry store in NY they will surely not enter the search: John Smits's Diamonds, than the "jewelry store New York".

•••
I do not consider the domain that I offer to be something that needs to become a brand, but as an ancillary tool to increase the site's visibility. IMO, because if someone looking for a jewelry store in NY they will surely not enter the search: John Smits's Diamonds, than the "jewelry store New York".

But that's not how Search works anymore, and the days of keyword stuffing EMD domain names ended a very long time ago.

Now everything is about branding and SEO as Google, Bing et al are advanced enough to understand that "Harry Winston" at harrywinston.com is not a person and is actually a store located in NY that sells fine jewelry.

•••
But that's not how Search works anymore, and the days of keyword stuffing EMD domain names ended a very long time ago.

Now everything is about branding as Google, Bing et al are advanced enough to understand that "Harry Winston" at harrywinston.com is not a person and is actually a store located in NY that sells fine jewelry.

What type of domain, in this case, to send to potential customers via cold-emails?

To buy a bunch of domains that somebody might someday recognize as a potential brand, placing them on marketplases and waiting for one day, or maybe never, a buyer to appear - I have no money, time and patience.

•••
Back