Dynadot

debate Is there any purpose to offer domains for sale to women in leadership positions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Emil K.

Established Member
Impact
By selling domains to end-users, I got an impression that the women I contacted are absolutely not interested in buying domains.

Since women in almost all industries are increasingly occupying managerial positions, this could constitute a major barrier to this domain selling mode (via cold emails) in the future.

Do most of them have no idea what the domains are and what their significance is, or it’s about something else? (The issue relates to the territory of the USA.)

Does it make sense to send offers to them, or should them simply be avoided?

What are your experiences in this regard?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
but if you saying, to ignored women, I am sure most ppl will not agree with you.

This is not my opinion, but personal statistics based on previous experience (see the explanation in my earlier post above).

•••
What type of domain, in this case, to send to potential customers via cold-emails?

To buy a bunch of domains that somebody might someday recognize as a potential brand, placing them on marketplases and waiting for one day, or maybe never, a buyer to appear - I have no money, time and patience.

Those are the same questions everyone asks themselves.

There are too many gTLDs, too many UDRPs and and not enough buyers. Domain name sales is now a mature market, which means that going forward, the cream of the crop is where most of the action will be (LL, LLL, & short word .COMs), making it tough for the "little guys" to make any real money.

Think of an emerging-to-mature market as a pyramid, with 1995-to-mid 2000's being the wide base where virtually any Tom, Dick or Harry can make $$$, but as more time goes by and fewer companies need domain names, we get a funnel effect, so there is greater buyer discrimination and fewer new entrants (the rich companies get richer), until we get to a point where something like X.com could sell for 10's of millions, but longer multi-words are virtually worthless.

That's why we see some much Chinese activity on the LL.com domains, as those guys are investing long-term and understand how a mature marketplace works.

Last edited:
•••
I do not consider the domain that I offer to be something that needs to become a brand, but as an ancillary tool to increase the site's visibility. IMO, because if someone looking for a jewelry store in NY they will surely not enter the search: John Smits's Diamonds, than the "jewelry store New York".
Right. In my reply, i reffered to your statement "most of the domains under which these sites are worth nothing, and some are funny". Which somehow contradicts to what you say now.

•••
I think if we had to put things in context here:

Take domains out of the equation, let say you were selling office furniture. Do you think a women in leadership would be less likely to respond to you than a man in the same leadership role?

If so, then chances are the problem lies with your approach and not the person you are approaching.

•••
Take domains out of the equation, let say you were selling office furniture. Do you think a women in leadership would be less likely to respond to you than a man in the same leadership role?

But that's the entire point, domains are ethereal items rather than physical, useful and visible goods, and are extremely easy to accumulate and hoard. Every study I have ever seen states to the effect that "The hoarding prevalence is significantly higher among men than women" thus making male buyers significantly more likely to buy multiple (often superfluous) domains than female buyers.

It has nothing to do with sexism and everything to do with genetics:

Genetics Most Important Factor in Compulsive Hoarding:
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/708049

•••
Those are the same questions everyone asks themselves.

There are too many gTLDs, too many UDRPs and and not enough buyers. Domain name sales is now a mature market, which means that going forward, the cream of the crop is where most of the action will be (LL, LLL, & short word .COMs), making it tough for the "little guys" to make any real money.

Think of an emerging-to-mature market as a pyramid, with 1995-to-mid 2000's being the wide base where virtually any Tom, Dick or Harry can make $$$, but as more time goes by and fewer companies need domain names, we get a funnel effect, so there is greater buyer discrimination and fewer new entrants (the rich companies get richer), until we get to a point where something like X.com could sell for 10's of millions, but longer multi-words are virtually worthless.

That's why we see some much Chinese activity on the LL.com domains, as those guys are investing long-term and understand how a mature marketplace works.

Regardless of everything, I have to continue with this "cold-mailing" practice, because I don't have another choice.

Thanks for the answer and lot of luck in selling domains (if you do that).

•••
But that's the entire point, domains are ethereal items rather than physical, useful and visible goods, and are extremely easy to accumulate and hoard. Every study I have ever seen states to the effect that "The hoarding prevalence is significantly higher among men than women" thus making male buyers significantly more likely to buy multiple (often superfluous) domains than female buyers.

It has nothing to do with sexism and everything to do with genetics:

Genetics Most Important Factor in Compulsive Hoarding:
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/708049

This is not really applicable when it comes to end users, the OP mentioned women in leadership roles, end users don't hoard domains. If domain name makes business sense and the price is right then they might acquire it. Irrespective of their sex.

•••
end users don't hoard domains.

I know quite a few that do, even smaller businesses, and just look at Amazon for one big example.

•••
I think if we had to put things in context here:

If so, then chances are the problem lies with your approach and not the person you are approaching.

The problem is that in relation to the same offer, women are much less responding (reading) mails than men in situations where they are represented in a similar percentage. IMO.

•••
The problem is that in relation to the same offer, women are much less responding (reading) mails than men in situations where they are represented in a similar percentage. IMO.

I think you would also need to consider the numbers... how big sample are you using?

In other words are you basing you theory on 100 emails sent to women and 100 emails sent to men in the same niche/industry for the same domains and more men responded than women or is it more a case of sending the email to 5 men and 5 women and more men replied than women?

•••
In other words are you basing you theory on 100 emails sent to women and 100 emails sent to men in the same niche/industry for the same domains and more men responded than women or is it more a case of sending the email to 5 men and 5 women and more men replied than women?

The answer is in one of my previous topics:

"About my domain, JewelryStoreNewYork.com (1,600 exact match searches per month in USA on Google) I found 100 sites, whose owners might be interested in buying it. Of course, these are websites owned by Jewelers whose stores are located in the New York area.

To my surprise, it turned out that 85% of women's owners. I was surprised, I must note this because of possible feminist reactions - not because I think women are less gifted for this job, but because of the fact that here in Europe, where I live, the vast majority of jewelers are men.

Since, apart from the criticism that I am a chauvinist, I did not receive any specific advice, I sent about 150 e-mails with offers for selling the mentioned domain, mostly to the direct email addresses of the owners of those jewelry stores. In the subject line I wrote: Jeweler Store New York.

The result: my email was opened (read) by 8 men and only 2 women. Unfortunately, there were no concrete offers for the purchase. That is sad, having in mind that most of the domains under which these sites are worth nothing, and some are funny (MadeInEarthUS.com, QuietStorms.com, BrooklynCharm.com, ShapeOfLies.com, TheEndIsNearBrooklyn.com, Mr-Diamond-USA.com, OutletteNYC.com, YoursAndMine.com, CatbirdNYC.com etc.), and most of others begin with the name or last name of the owner(s), probably with the intention of becoming a brand on a distant day, for which the chances are very small due to the enormous competition.

BTW, I note that I also sent mails about other domains to owners of sites where the owners were men and women at about 50:50 ratio. Emails were mostly opened (read) and sometimes bought by men, until the response of women was negligible.

IMO, women are far less interested in this topic, so knowledge in that area is limited to them. Of course, I'm talking about most women; respect for exceptions".

•••
Look at what sells, have you researched Comparable Sales?
  • Domain Name Sales History - NameBio
  • DNJournal Year-to-Date Top 100 Domain Sales Charts
Cheers
Corey (Female)

•••
Year-to-Date Top 100 Domain Sales Charts

I'm looking at this list at http://dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm.

Most of these, if someone offered me, I would not even buy for $10.

Experience is still very important.

But, IMO, although even if I had one of these domains, in this offering mode (cold-emails), I couldn't sell it, because this principle goes here: nice for the eyes - good for me. :xf.wink: Prices are lower, but the time from sale to sale is shorter. B-)

•••
Women and men are very different in investment preferences and disposition of income. Don't try to understand why they are different as it's impossible. Each gender is ruled by different hormones, priorities and expectations.

I think, based on my past observations, women like to buy expensive things if it's a personal expense like cosmetics-beauty-leisure-health-clothing related products. They tend to buy cheap things if it's not personal expense. Women are less interested in buying domain from a reseller as they know they can hand register a .com domain for $10 or less. Why would they pay more than $10? They think simple when it comes to business, can think very detailed and complicated when the things are related to their own personal life style.

•••
When you offer domains for sale to women in leadership positions only to be rejected by them, how sure are you that their no really means no ? Because as the saying goes, when a woman says no it could mean may be, if a woman says may be it may mean yes, and if she says yes, it could be assumed she is probably not a woman but a man ? ;)

Last edited:
•••
Women and men are very different in investment preferences and disposition of income. Don't try to understand why they are different as it's impossible. Each gender is ruled by different hormones, priorities and expectations.

I think, based on my past observations, women like to buy expensive things if it's a personal expense like cosmetics-beauty-leisure-health-clothing related products. They tend to buy cheap things if it's not personal expense. Women are less interested in buying domain from a reseller as they know they can hand register a .com domain for $10 or less. Why would they pay more than $10? They think simple when it comes to business, can think very detailed and complicated when the things are related to their own personal life style.

I agree with all this completely. :!:

•••
When you offer domains for sale to women in leadership positions only to be rejected by them, how sure are you that their no really means no ? Because as the saying goes, when a woman says no it could mean may be, if a woman says may be it may mean yes, and if she says yes, it could be assumed she is probably not a woman but a man ? ;)

It could be a valid reason if they communicated with the OP. The problem here is more difficult for men to understand :) The OP says women don't say anything neither "no" nor "maybe", don't open the emails sent by the OP.

And when they answer (very rare), then it's something in the style: 'I already have a domain, what will I do with one more?'

BTW, I note that I also sent mails about other domains to owners of sites where the owners were men and women at about 50:50 ratio. Emails were mostly opened (read) and sometimes bought by men, until the response of women was negligible.

IMO, women are far less interested in this topic, so knowledge in that area is limited to them. Of course, I'm talking about most women; respect for exceptions.

I think the same, women are less interested in buying domains.
The reason is unknown by men :)

Last edited:
•••
What type of domain, in this case, to send to potential customers via cold-emails?

To buy a bunch of domains that somebody might someday recognize as a potential brand, placing them on marketplases and waiting for one day, or maybe never, a buyer to appear - I have no money, time and patience.
"I have no money, time and patience"
In my opinion..this is just a hobby to you not a business..

•••
It is not common but can happen occasionally. Just sold a dot-org name to a well established non-profit. The initial inquiry arrived via a lander page sent by the co-founder and board of directors member of that non-profit. Then all negotiations (there were lots of them over a long time) were direct with the female. The final offer and sale arrangements involved no one but her as far as I know. I do not believe there was a man involved anywhere in the entire process.

•••
Totally different scenario. You're the recipient of an offer from a company that really wants your domain, while the OP is cold-calling/emailing a variety of companies trying to sell his unsolicited domains.

•••

if they say yes to fast, I am sure its bad for their reputation! :xf.wink: if you know what I mean:xf.laugh:

•••
I do not believe there was a man involved anywhere in the entire process.

Why? Because behind every successful woman there is a forgotten, but great, man!

Last edited:
•••
Ironically I am in the same boat as I have a very similar domain (J.S.online dot com - just replace newyork with "online" and jewelry with jewellery) It has been waiting to be sold or developed by me like other domains :)

I sent emails to prospective buyers for only once and sold a domain for $700 in couple of weeks. It was long time ago when I was relatively a newbie in domaining. The buyer was a MALE manager in a company. He asked me the price and I asked him what he would like to offer. He wrote in his email response he would like offer me $300. I replied back with a counter offer of $700. He didn't ask me any question, paid me $700 in less than 5 minutes and I sent him the domain. yes it was a bit weird to see how someone can trust to stranger to send $700 with no escrow. Perhaps it's a male style of business, perhaps $700 was nothing for him compared to the value of my domain. It was a 2 words domain, purchased for $10-15 a few weeks ago from godaddy auctions. $700 was a good profit for me. I was very happy as I could buy too many beers for $700 :) As you see priorities are different for men and women :)

•••
......paid me $700 in less than 5 minutes and I sent him the domain. yes it was a bit weird to see how someone can trust to stranger to send $700 with no escrow......

Some people are real trusting like the female (see my post above) who purchased my domain for her non-profit and sent funds (4 figures) to me by wire transfer never asking about escrow or how it gets transferred.

•••
Imo they are that kind of shoppers who knows where to go to shop. My experience they even follow small details of stores and instantly notice if anything new arrived.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back