IT.COM

poll Is there a future for new GTLDs?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are new GTLDs penetrating?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Leo Angelo

DomaincracyTop Member
Impact
I was surprised to learn today that a non-domainer friend migrated his website to the same name .blog because "for a blog, .blog makes more sense than .com." What about the renewal fee? "$29/yr. Not enough to be a deterrent."
He is an intelligent person who appreciates using the best and the fewest words. Using the self-explanatory TLD makes sense and is worth the extra money, in his opinion.
Maybe the new GLTDs are making inroads with public awareness and will keep gaining market share. What do you think, how do you feel about it?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
These numbers are not necessary accurate. I mean that there may be something (not forbidden etc.) shown to human visitors.
There is an inherent danger in extrapolating your own experience to the wider Web. 21.83% have no website in their DNS record. 6.79% have no response. Just because a domain name has a website IP address listed in its DNS record, it does not necessarily mean that that there is a webserver running on that IP address. Most of the No Response sites that have previously been active are basically sites being pulled because the domain name has not been renewed or the hosting is expired. They are typically lander operations rather than developed websites.

The 403 results are far more likely to be seen on sites where there's an empty web root directory. The 404s are common where there's no content uploaded. Soft 404s (that's where a "no content" page will be displayed rather than the more accurate 404 HTTP result code being issued by the server is quite common now because hosters and registrars use these soft 404s to advertise their services. The number of HTTP 403 results was 361,492. The number of HTTP 404s was 585,193.

The majority of the web is on shared hosting. The set-up of websites is highly automated and often outsourced as ordinary businesses do not build their own websites.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I am pretty sure that domainers still will be able to make good (or great) profit from really good new gTLDs.

And in my opinion, a really good gTLD is a combination of keyword and extension that really makes sense. Example: Biz (dot) community or Book (dot) club.

•••
like then what happens with .loans filled with Spammers according to Spamhaus.
I know it is easy to confuse, but I think you mean .loan not .loans as according to Spamhaus .loans with 0.4% spam is far better than .com at about 7.8%.

•••
There are far too many new gTLD's and a number are doomed to failure, I would not stake my business on one.

That said, as long as you have a backup and are only using the new gTLD as a forwarder or something then I am all for it.

There are going to be a lot of businesses caught with their pants down when some of these new gTLD's fail. Country codes and .com's have security, you know they will never shut down. The same cannot be said of ANY new gTLD.

So, are you a gambler?

I agree, there are far too many extensions out now. Some will certainly continue to gain attention and traction from the general public while others fail to exist. Just look at .qpon; it's destined fail. Seriously an abbreviated misspelling of coupon? Has anyone ever purposely abbreviated coupon as qpon? There are only 458 registered domains after nearly 1,800+ days of existence. Of those 458 registered domains, 82 are registered by MarkMonitor solely for brand protection and who knows how many of the remaining 376 are registry owned. Numbers like that are simply not sustainable. I cannot currently find one developed .qpon domain that's not registry owned. Even .qpon would rather use .com with their dotqpon.com. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

While rare, it should be noted even country codes aren't safe. During the 2011 Egyptian protests, domain .eg was shut down by the government. Also, country code TLDs may be removed if the country ceases to exist. There are ccTLDs that have been deleted after all: cs (for Czechoslovakia), zr (for Zaire) and tp (for East Timor).

•••
There are ccTLDs that have been deleted after all: cs (for Czechoslovakia), zr (for Zaire) and tp (for East Timor).
+ .YU (Yugoslavia).

•••
Most nTLDs are served by Donuts...
I don't see any reasons why Donuts should fail...
But domainer segment will be shortened definitely:

Donuts will be increasing pricing on standard domains for 225 TLDs in their portfolio on October 1, 2019. This will impact both available and registered standard price domain names. There will be no impact to premium domain tiers at this time.

•••
Going for a walk this morning I noticed a car parked downtown which had been decorated to promote a local business (not sure how much this tactic costs but I have seen a number of businesses try this - could get expensive if they don't have someone feeding the meters every couple hours as parking tickets are about $25). Checking out the name I noticed it was a .solutions but as has been the case with most of the small businesses I have seen using the newer extensions, an obvious reg fee.

To-cleaning.solutions

Wow! So does that domain name inspire you to contract their services?

•••
I have seen using the newer extensions, an obvious reg fee.
To-cleaning.solutions
Wow! So does that domain name inspire you to contract their services?
I think it is illustrative of the fact that the vast majority of small local businesses are currently choosing a handreg rather than consider purchasing a better domain name (or actually most of them are not even getting a domain name, but using Wix or similar or even a FB page). That is the challenge for our industry, to find a price point and service model where they will consider aftermarket at prices that still make sense for domainers.

In this particular case it does not resonate with me (although to cleaning does have sense). The company name is T&O Cleaning Solutions, so they mean the front to I assume as TO. The name is available without hyphen as hand register, so I presume they deliberately did not like the look without a hyphen.

By the way they previously were on TO-cleaning.com and at least currently they are using that for email although they seem to be using the solutions as their main web presence (it does not redirect to the .com).

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Best new gTLD domains, let there should be 10.000 such domains in world :), will always have future, at least next 5 years...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back