IT.COM

new gtlds Even experts are investing in new gTLDs

NameSilo
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Konstantinos Zournas of OnlineDomain shares his investment in new gTLDs that amounts to approximately $50,000.
He shares on his blog, that he has bought 565 new gTLDs so far, for a total of $50,000 which averages to about $88 per domain name.
He has sold two new gTLDs : 360.agency for $2,500 and city.tips for 8,500 Euros.

Check out what the experts like him are buying and selling.
The article may be found here.

As per my personal experience, I happened to speak to some people who recently started in Domaining, got lured by the new gTLDs and their highest flips are among the new gTLDs that they have sold for over $2,000.
I see some bright light here, for them. Perhaps they would do even better when they switch to .COMs! Good Luck to them.

How many flips have you made in new gTLDs?
Any experience that you would like to share with the community?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This thread is filled with paranoia.

.XYZ is a good investment.. for 2 - 3 years from now. Out of the 900,000+ .XYZ registrations only something like 1/3rd were given away for free. So it puts it still well and above any other ngtld in terms of registration numbers. Furthermore, I read an article recently that Web.com is profiting from people who are choosing to renew some of the free .XYZ domain away for free.

Like most people here.. I think XYZ is seriously an odd extension.. but it is memorable (I think) and starting to catch on. But there is no aftermarket YET. There was an aftermarket for some .XYZ names right after launch. I think it is best to give it 2 - 3 years and then we will begin to see an emerging aftermarket for the most popular ngtld. Plus, the renewal rate on XYZ is only $9 / yr.. not too bad. What I think is a losing strategy are the registries with a few thousand registered names at $30 / yr. Eventually domaineers will drop some of their domains at $30 a pop / per year.. and a few thousand registrations will not sustain the registry anyways long-term.. those extensions will probably end up being the big losers.

One last note..

examples of good XYZ domain names:
music.xyz
sports.xyz
love.xyz

examples of bad XYZ names (for investment purposes):
WatchSportsNow.xyz
coolsite.xyz

For those of us holding desired single word .xyz names.. just hold on for a couple years more.. I think the aftermarket will come full force.

1/3 for free

And how many at a deep $1 - $3 discount?

Catching on where? Not in the U.S.

Keep in mind if/when .web comes out, it'll do an R. Kelly on .xyz.

Next month is the 1 year anniversary of General Availability, so we will see what happens with all those freebies.

New gtlds. Look at the stats again. Last year, 0 in the top 100 sales. This year so far, 0. All those new gtlds available, over 5 million regs. Can't manage to get even 1 in there.

93 - 0. That's a total ass whuppin. It's why when talking about these, .com shouldn't even enter the conversation, like I said, it's on another level. I understand why the people selling them would mention it, they know there are suckers out there that will eat it up, their target audience. But again, most are niche, so they can't compete with .com. The general ones just aren't that good. No real demand, hence the giveaways and deep discounts.

Last edited:
•••
.xyz has 900k registrations because they market it so aggressively not because it is such a sought after extension. You can not use registration numbers to make long-term predictions about future domain values.

The question is if it is a good extension and is it better than the alternatives.

•••
1/3 for free

And how many at a deep $1 - $3 discount?

A LOT over the last 2 or 3 months from my knowledge. But right before the deep discounts at Chinese and Japanese registrars.. there was still something like 700,000+ registrations.

I'm not a die hard XYZ fan. Even though maybe I sound like it from some of my posts and my signature. But I believe in XYZ because of 1) Affordable renewal rates, 2) Not a lot premium names.. or none?, and 3) Global registrations.. from the registration data I see names being registered from N. America, Europe, and Asia. I get concerned when I only see N. American registrations, for example. I postulate that the more global a nGTLD.. I think the better chance of success there will be down the road.

Last edited:
•••
Anyone want to estimate how much money has been "invested" into new TLDs thus far versus domain investor (not registry or registrar) sales to end users?

•••
The thread title could actually be like this: Even experts are losing money on new gTLDs

•••
.xyz has 900k registrations because they market it so aggressively not because it is such a sought after extension. You can not use registration numbers to make long-term predictions about future domain values.

The question is if it is a good extension and is it better than the alternatives.

Wow 900k registrations!! Its a great number.

•••
Wow 900k registrations!! Its a great number.

Sure, but about 350,000 of those were given away to Network Solutions customers for free, without they even ordering them. Another 200,000 were almost free at Asian registries.

But apart from this, I admit that the number is high and I kind of fancy Daniel's guerilla marketing strategies.

•••
Sure, but about 350,000 of those were given away to Network Solutions customers for free, without they even ordering them. Another 200,000 were almost free at Asian registries.

But apart from this, I admit that the number is high and I kind of fancy Daniel's guerilla marketing strategies.

What has always amazed me is that I've had a domain, business site hosted at Network Solutions since 1999 and I was never offered a free .xyz domain from them. Nor did they reg one on my behalf, go figure! :rolleyes:

Who are these 350,000 people? :-/

•••

i think it was more than that. The top two asian registries were they were given away almost free have 300.000 registrations alone and there may have been other asian registries running these promotions.

They have 16,674 Godaddy(30+% market share) registrations. so it appears that the average Joe in the US doesn't buy these. Most are from asia. If you go to the asian registrars you can see that most of them feature .xyz on their homepage where it appears to be priced very low i would say. Yuan and Yen are worth far less than USD. (I use Google translate, don't rely on that) So far when i was able to find the price it was usually almost free but don't take my word for it and do your own research or talk to someone who understands the language.

here is a list of most of the top .xyz asian registrars with current pricing:

Chengdu West Dimension Digital Technology Co., Ltd. (west263.com)(45,946 regs)
current price: 8 CNY (1.29 USD)

Xin Net Technology Corporation (xinnet.com)(174,195 regs) current price: 12 CNY (1.93 USD)

GMO Internet (onamae.com) (138,705 regs) Can't figure this out but i read they had cost $2.

Alibaba Cloud Computing Ltd. d/b/a HiChina (net.cn) (26,412 regs) current price:12 CNY (1.93 USD)

Foshan YiDong Network Co., LTD (72e.net) (14,239 regs) current price: 8 CNY (1.29 USD)

Todaynic (23,948)- Another asian registrar. Can't figure that price out.

Total over 400k registrations from asian registrars. It looks like it's mostly an asia play at present.

A LOT over the last 2 or 3 months from my knowledge. But right before the deep discounts at Chinese and Japanese registrars.. there was still something like 700,000+ registrations.

personally it wouldn't surprise me if it were 1/10 of that figure. My uneducated guess is that without deep discounts and Netsol and other Voodoo it's less than 100k. I would guess 50-75k. I don't think they stand a chance against .web. Perhaps they will be more successful in asia. I don't think .web will be too popular there. It will take more than giving away $1-2 dollar domains though.

if you look at the largest US based registrars:

Godaddy (Global Market share 30%) 17k regs
Enom (Global Market share 8%) 5.6k regs
Tucows(Global Market share 7%) 4.6k regs

They have 45% market share combined and a total of 27k .XYZ registrations.

Compare that with .club - 227k regs, 4th largest nTLD:

Godaddy 71,417
Enom 30k
Tucows 6.5k
Total: 107k

or with .guru - 71k regs, 11th largest nTLD:

Godaddy 41,240
Enom 6k
Tucows 2.5k
Total: 50k

.XYZ has a very aggressive marketing strategy and they should get credit for that. Time will tell if it will work out for them. Still i can't believe that some are accepting the reported numbers at face value. Domainers should know better than that.

I just visited Gandi.net a large european registar and noticed that they run .XYZ promos there. .link and .science do the same thing.

gandi.net/domain/price/info?currency=USD

Gandi.net is not a discount registrar, a .com costs $15.5 there.

.XYZ. costs $5
science approx. $3.6
link $6

They sell themselves at 70-80% discount compared to other extensions that is why they get registrations and not because of the extension. Folks register them because they are cheap.

Last edited:
•••
I won't post em here but I'm happy with some of my really early .xyz domain reg's ^.^ got some huge single keyword .xyz's

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back