Domain Empire

Rick Schwartz went on a new gTLD buying frenzy !

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

loupe

Established Member
Impact
I was just checking out thedomains blog of Michael who is also into the new gTLDs and saw his latest article about Rick. Looks like the new gTLDs are getting more and more traction with serious domainers entering the arena :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm guessing they were mostly at his own tlds.

I wasn't sure if you were serious or not before. which ones are his?

Last edited:
•••
I'm guessing he and MostedWanted both like the attention ...

•••
I'm slowly losing faith that anyone is doing anything properly.
I slightly misappropriated your quote, but to me this about sums up the entirety of the "neo" gTLD gangbusters ruse. Shady from the get-go.

•••
I'm not an expert on which gtld's he is the registrar for. I think .link and .ninja are his. But my point is basically, that he isn't paying much, if anything, for these domains. And he isn't probably paying the prices we pay for those gtld's he doesn't control. He's stating he controls the keywords. What keywords in which gtld's? They might be goldmines, or they might be a repeat of his flowers.mobi purchase. Only time will tell. But one thing is for sure. He won't be selling anything cheap. Not until they bomb, at least.

Last edited:
•••
i have not heard that rick has his own tlds ,,,,,,, can anyone expand on this please

•••
I'm not an expert on which gtld's he is the registrar for. I think .link and .ninja are his. But my point is basically, that he isn't paying much, if anything, for these domains. And he isn't probably paying the prices we pay for those gtld's he doesn't control. He's stating he controls the keywords. What keywords in which gtld's? They might be goldmines, or they might be a repeat of his flowers.mobi purchase. Only time will tell. But one thing is for sure. He won't be selling anything cheap. Not until they bomb, at least.

That's Frank, with .link.

i have not heard that rick has his own tlds ,,,,,,, can anyone expand on this please

Think there was just confusion with getting Frank Schilling mixed up with Rick Schwartz. Frank is the one with the new registry/registrar, lots of new extensions coming.

•••
That's Frank, with .link.

Think there was just confusion with getting Frank Schilling mixed up with Rick Schwartz. Frank is the one with the new registry, lots of new extensions coming.

Thats what i was trying to confirm …….after all Ricks a .com man …..isn't he ?

•••
I think that Rick is being confused with Frank Schilling (who has his own TLDs now).

Regards...jmcc

•••
No confusion for me, i am just put it out there

•••
•••
Rick is making his own gtlds by introducing a new .com sub domain project.

•••
•••
•••
ah ok lol

Well, he might be serious with it, but selling premium sub-domains? I just don't see it. And it's kind of getting clowned on in the comments on his site.

•••
Well, he might be serious with it, but selling premium sub-domains? I just don't see it. And it's kind of getting clowned on in the comments on his site.

oh ok, i know you guys dont see it but i think gtlds have higher sub domain potential than the .com.

•••
oh ok, i know you guys dont see it but i think gtlds have higher sub domain potential than the .com.

Not sure I'm following, do you have examples.

If I owned cars.com, what would be better than (in the realm of subdomains):
used.cars.com

You might say used.cars but that's a domain, even tho it kinda looks like a subdomain.

I've seen other people say that, but haven't seen examples.

With mine, what would it be? usedcars.used.cars? or buy.used.cars?

•••

The subdomain model sucks in most cases - and most people use a subdomain until they can replace it with their own domain.

•••
You might say used.cars but that's a domain, even tho it kinda looks like a subdomain.

It is a subdomain of the root domain cars.

I understand the love for .com but in reality used.cars is a subdomain but used.cars.com is a subdomain of a subdomain. I think used.cars looks better.

UsedCars.com

Is best and by a ways, imho.

•••
It is a subdomain of the root domain cars.

I'm saying if .cars was the new extension, not cars.com

What's an example of a subdomain with one of these new extensions? Let's say, sex.guru

"but in reality used.cars is a subdomain"

"but used.cars.com is a subdomain of a subdomain"

What on both of those? The first is just a domain, just like sex.guru. The second "used.cars.com" is just a subdomain.

Can't tell if you're just playing around with those 2 examples.

Last edited:
•••
So, .xyz looks like it did 31,119 the first 24 hours.

First day is 18,384 - http://ntldstats.com/tld/xyz

Since it launches sometime in the afternoon, first day is more like half a day.

Think .club did more actually, 26,000 first day, remember posting about it. - https://www.namepros.com/threads/th...se-and-discussion.817267/page-12#post-4642081

Think .co did 60,000 first day? 300,000 first week

Was reading some people posting about some unusual numbers at Netsol, then somebody said they got an xyz free for their .com:

"netsol users got an email from Netsol offering a complementary .xyz for their .com FREE for 1 year"

more to that:
“.i will explain how it was possible. i recently got the email from Netsol offering me a complementary .xyz for my so-so .com free for 1 year. and in order to decline such an offer i had to visit a link and click decline, otherwise the domain would be mine automatically."

That can't be right can it?

Blog on it:
http://www.thedomains.com/2014/06/03/did-networksolutions-com-give-away-free-xyz-domain-names/

Not sure if that's true, tried going thru some old emails, couldn't find it.

Next few days will give a better picture.

So that email was in fact correct. For those not reading the other thread, it was posted on thedomains - http://www.thedomains.com/2014/06/04/network-solutions-has-no-idea-what-i-am-talking-about/

So right now it's 38,003 - http://ntldstats.com/tld/xyz

but if you took away those Netsol numbers, you get 10,419. I'm sure there were some regular purchases at Netsol, who knows how many. But the numbers got a nice boost from the complementary domains.

•••
I'm saying if .cars was the new extension, not cars.com

What's an example of a subdomain with one of these new extensions? Let's say, sex.guru

"but in reality used.cars is a subdomain"

"but used.cars.com is a subdomain of a subdomain"

What on both of those? The first is just a domain, just like sex.guru. The second "used.cars.com" is just a subdomain.

Can't tell if you're just playing around with those 2 examples.

used.cars -> Used is a Subdomain of the TLD cars
used.cars.com-> Used is a Subdomain of the domain cars.com and cars is a subdomain of the TLD com

I don't know how anyone would say used.cars is inferior to used.cars.com.
I do know how you could say used.cars is inferior to usedcars.com

•••

'Potential' can always be perceived as higher when starting from nothing. For me, investing in a subdomain of anyone elses private domain (regardless of the tld) is plain foolishness unless it was associated with some sort of existing community that could be mined commercially, ie 'businessmember'.facebook.com (assuming they ever did that)

•••
used.cars -> Used is a Subdomain of the TLD cars
used.cars.com-> Used is a Subdomain of the domain cars.com and cars is a subdomain of the TLD com

I don't know how anyone would say used.cars is inferior to used.cars.com.
I do know how you could say used.cars is inferior to usedcars.com

In your example of used.cars, while technically 'used' is a subdomain of the tld '.cars', in web dev what is relevant is any subdomains beyond the first domain that can actually be registered, since no website can (yet) exist on only the tld '.cars'. Similarly, in cars.co.uk, 'cars' is the first domain that can be registered even though it is technically a subdomain of the second level domain 'co'. In other words, you're technically correct but in practical terms the term subdomain is used to describe additional levels after your actual registration, ie good.used.cars.

•••
'Potential' can always be perceived as higher when starting from nothing. For me, investing in a subdomain of anyone elses private domain (regardless of the tld) is plain foolishness unless it was associated with some sort of existing community that could be mined commercially, ie 'businessmember'.facebook.com (assuming they ever did that)

I don't think facebook would need the .com to show they are legit, .facebook would be just fine. ;)

•••
I don't think facebook would need the .com to show they are legit, .facebook would be just fine. ;)

That works for existing billion dollar brands. We have yet to see what (if any) .brand tld gets utilized, I expect some will use their new .brands, to what extent remains to be seen. That reminds me of another of my so called predictions, I expect that the .brands may be the largest contributors to public awareness of the new tld landscape, unfortunately amazon is out of the picture for now but theres plenty more to come. To what extent that helps domain investors in all the other .whatevers remains to be seen, I don't have high expectations.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back