Dynadot

question Is the shorter domain always better?

NameSilo
Watch
Generally we espouse using the shorter domain when possible.

I'd like to ask your opinion when it comes to an online Newsportal we're in the process of building named, "Connecticut Western."

I opted for the shorter domain because I felt it sounded cleaner and more memorable: www.CTWest.com

But one reporter says we should use the domain that uses part of our business name to build brand Recognition: CTWestern.com

We do own both. What say you?

By the way, if you're a designer, we're running a contest for this Newsportal's logo:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/125-logo-contest-we-may-choose-2-winners.1220747/#post-8082214

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Second is better. CTWestern.com shows what's it's about.

•••
I think EMD is better than need-explained-short-version...especially a domain already over 4 letter...imo.

•••
CTWest sounds easy to remember and brandable.

CTWestern a little heavy to pronounce

•••
I think EMD is better than need-explained-short-version...especially a domain already over 4 letter...imo.
EMD?

•••
  • My suggestion is to enable both domains, which can avoid the loss of traffic

• CTWestern.com and CTWest.com.They are too similar

•••
•••
Shorter the better. The people around the area, the employees would probably even just simply say "CT".

•••
•••
•••
Hello,

Both versions are good. Shorter domain names are much better than large ones. Short domains are easy to remember and type.

•••
Generally we espouse using the shorter domain when possible.

I'd like to ask your opinion when it comes to an online Newsportal we're in the process of building named, "Connecticut Western."

I opted for the shorter domain because I felt it sounded cleaner and more memorable: www.CTWest.com

But one reporter says we should use the domain that uses part of our business name to build brand Recognition: CTWestern.com

We do own both. What say you?

By the way, if you're a designer, we're running a contest for this Newsportal's logo:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/125-logo-contest-we-may-choose-2-winners.1220747/#post-8082214

Shorter is the better when you are comparing 20 chracters vs 3 or 4 characters.

Here in your case 6 characters vs 9 characters.. no big difference between both of them in terms of length.. EMD is better choice for your usecase.

•••
CTWest sounds easy to remember and brandable.

CTWestern a little heavy to pronounce
I appreciate your feedback. You nailed my concern exactly.

The word "Western" is a heavy awkward word. When I say "CTWestern" quickly to someone not familiar with our website, there is a chance it's lost in translation because it's not spelled exactly as it sounds and "Western" is easily forgotten.

To be honest, if it were not for the history of the newspaper itself that we would lose, I would remove "Western" from the brand name as well.

What most responders are missing that you picked up on is that "Western" is naturally a difficult word to convey through speech and it saying, "Find us at CTWestern.com," is awkward with a chance of it being miss-communicated.

It's like a word I saw for sale in the sales section: "Christened" as in your "Christened name." Yes it's a dictionary word but the most awkward and heavy word to pronounce.

Last edited:
•••
Shorter not necesarily better.
Would namepros be more popular/better if it was NameP.com ?
What if nameprosdomaining.com
Its the content. I simply hit "N' enter, this is the site i visit most starting with "N' so regardless of length
namepros is really "N' enter
DomainNameWire.com excellent blog, everyone should be reading that instead of this.
Did he blow it using 3 word .com? Guy seems pretty smart, why not use a 4L.com instead of 14 letter .com
He wanted an "exact match" something that defines his niche
Its more valuable that your domain makes sense to people when they see it compared to the length of your name.

•••
It depends who you are asking.
Men: It does not matter.
Women: Who said shorter is better?

•••
Its the content.
Agreed. Prior to 2003, "DNF" was the place to see & be seen for Domainers. We used to deride NamePros as the place for wannabe Domainers.

Now those roles are reversed 100% which is pretty amazing. I'm guessing it's due to the hard work of NamePros and some bad luck at "DNF" ("DNF" looks dead now).

Most forums, including what I thought of as the invincible WebHostingTalk, are becoming ghost towns after being carved out by Facebook, Reddit, & social media in general. Somehow NamePros isn't as affected as 99% of forums. Perhaps it's that most serious Domainers (that got in the game soon enough to afford good domains) are approaching or over 50.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

western union is not awkward
neither is western pacific

imo....

•••
Hi

western union is not awkward
neither is western pacific

imo....

If it's given to me to choose between WISTERN UNION or WEST UNION, I will pick the second one.

Sounds like it takes an eternity to pronounce it and half of my energy tbh do not forget that it's founded on 1851, when cowboys ran the streets.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

pacific western
norfolk & western

imo...

•••
CTwest is short and easy to remember as others posted.

•••
Generally spoken, shorter isn't always better - it simply depends on the domain name itself (it must make sense).

While it is recommended to own / use the most relevant abstract variation(s (acronym - domain name(s), typo - version(s) etc.)) as forwarders of / to the EMD (of the official (brand / company / project - name)), the EMD should always be owned / used as the displayed domain name.

People are not that lazy to type in a domain name that has a few (or even much) more letters if the content of the domain name's website has quality; also, most are familiar with the function of bookmarking a website (domain name).

Last edited:
•••
The CT part is also somewhat problematic. When you say it people could think it's 'City' and not CT so it doesn't pass the radio test even with the first part of the name. On the other hand, Connecticut is a mouthful and also hard to spell. As for the West VS Western part- I'd go with Western. Naming your business one thing and then being on a domain where the second word is different will be confusing.

Last edited:
•••
It depends who you are asking.
Men: It does not matter.
Women: Who said shorter is better?

I see a joke in there somewhere. Read between the lines people :xf.grin:

•••
The shorter it is, the easier it is to remember, especially those markets whose mother tongue is not English.

•••
Its the content. I simply hit "N' enter, this is the site i visit most starting with "N' so regardless of length
namepros is really "N' enter
DomainNameWire.com excellent blog, everyone should be reading that instead of this.
Did he blow it using 3 word .com? Guy seems pretty smart, why not use a 4L.com instead of 14 letter .com
He wanted an "exact match" something that defines his niche
Its more valuable that your domain makes sense to people when they see it compared to the length of your name.
LOL you are correct on the not necessarily part, but there are regular users here that have this site bookmarked, and new users you want to attract. If NP owned NP.com they would have more traffic, though arguably not all would want to get into domaining. It would not be a targeted traffic name, but it would get people curious about the site. Some may type it in and decide to stay. in the case of DNW.com, if they are typing a name with DN as part of the name then they are more likely to be interested in the industry already.

CTNews.com would be a lot better than ctwest.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back