IT.COM

THE IDEA THAT SHORTER IS ALWAYS BETTER

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WNC HOLDINGS

wnc.holdingsEstablished Member
Impact
Well, there’s no better time than now to reiterate that words still have significant meaning and purpose. Even in really “long” configurations.

Emoticons, acronyms and shorthand words definitely have their place. However, some things are simply better spelled out.

Partial may be convenient; but it doesn’t always lend itself to distinction. Greater distinction helps foster “better understanding and correlation”.

If your domains can be properly interpreted, and convey a clear message, they work. Remember, level of appeal is specific to the interpreting mind.

Wishing you prosperity in your domain endeavors,

WNC HOLDINGS

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lot of meaningful 2 word names get sold here and everywhere regularly.

•••
Lot of meaningful 2 word names get sold here and everywhere regularly.
@koolishman,

We hope all is well. Thank you for sharing! We agree! We've definitely come across some 3+ word domains that have been valuable as well.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
Hi

i have 4 word name that still earns about $400 a year in ppc

imo...

•••
@biggie

We hope all is well. Thank you for sharing. The fact you have a "4 word name" that earns is wonderful. It speaks to the fact longer domains have value as well.

Thank you again for sharing!

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
Short may be sweet and to the point but WNC you've got some great points!

•••
Length is important but what is more important is that it makes sense, is memorable, and easy to spell. You can have a 4 letter domain, but it can be very confusing if people don't remember all the letters or what order they were in.

•••
•••
Short may be sweet and to the point but WNC you've got some great points!
@likemike

We hope all is well. Thank you for setting aside valuable time to provide your feedback! It's definitely appreciated. It seems there's a great deal of attention being given to short domains right now. So much so that domain buying and selling "culture" have shifted a bit. Words are pillars of communication; and will always be. It's good to come across individuals who can see beyond "the bubble" that is "short domains are always better".

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
Length is important but what is more important is that it makes sense, is memorable, and easy to spell. You can have a 4 letter domain, but it can be very confusing if people don't remember all the letters or what order they were in.
On point!

•••
@TCK

We hope all is well. Thank you for sharing your insights. We definitely agree with your point. 4 letter domains definitely have their place and value. As you stated, a sequence of letters/numbers that's memorable, AND makes sense, aligns with the dynamics of effective communication. We definitely see the value in short domains; but also the value in using whatever word/character count that reflects "the distinction a domain is registered to make".

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
•••
@WNC HOLDINGS I hope all is well
@jhm

I'm speaking on behalf of our team. Hence, the use of "we". We "genuinely" do hope all is well. Especially with the state of the world. We want readers of our posts to know they have more than one individual that's rooting for their success and overall well-being. For us, it's much deeper than domain sales and domain dialogue. Thank you for taking the time to highlight the opening statement of our posts. It's most appreciated.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

Last edited:
•••
@jhm

I'm speaking on behalf of our team. Hence, the use of "we". We "genuinely" do hope all is well. Especially with the state of the world. We want readers of our posts to know they have more than one individual that's rooting for their success and overall well-being. For us, it's much deeper than domain sales and domain dialogue. Thank you for taking the time to highlight the opening statement of our posts. It's most appreciated.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS
Can you expound? What do you mean that for you it is much deeper than domain sales and and domain dialogue? What is the purpose of your OP?

•••
@TCK,

We hope all is well. With regard to your inquiry, "deeper than domain sales and dialogue" simply refers to our commitment to helping positively influence tomorrow's domainer culture. Domain sales and dialogue are a given as long as domains can be purchased, sold and leveraged. However, it's the "community culture" that determines whether domaining will become a system driven by "stale metrics", "top sales" and "the hoarding of good names".

At the moment, domain culture appears to be driven by what's "shortest" and "highest selling". There doesn't seem to be much embrace of "creativity", "experimentation" or "alternative approaches/viewpoints". At least not openly. With blockchain TLDs/SLDs coming into the fray, what it means to be an investor in the centralized sector will begin to take on a different meaning. We simply look to add value to the evolving narrative as we do business.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

Last edited:
•••
I disagree, over the past three years I have sold only few 5 letter domains. I have several dozen similar domains. And they are all euphonious. But I sold ten times more two-word domains with a longer length. Therefore, your idea is controversial.

Last edited:
•••
I am on the forum recently, and I do not quite understand the reaction of the anonymus that put the cons of my post. I can prove that I sold 6-12 letter domains with two words more larger than 5-letter domains. I think that to put the cons anonymusly is ugly and dishonorable. This is the position of a weak and cowardly person.

•••
The gist of the thread is trying to suggest companies are branding wrong, Look up startups and big companies. They always opt for shorter.

•••
The gist of the thread is trying to suggest companies are branding wrong, Look up startups and big companies. They always opt for shorter.
@karmaco,

We hope all is well. Thank you for taking time to share your "interpretation" of this thread. Rest assured, the basis for this thread isn't to suggest any company, or individual, is branding "wrong". Wrong is relative to poor morals and ethics; and in no way does opting for a domain of any character-count constitute as either. For clarification, the general theme of this thread is "shorter domains aren't the only valuable option".

To your point, there are many companies that opt to use shorter domains; but it's often for more reasons than one. One reason worth noting is branding/marketing culture. If a major company opted for a 5+ character domain name, and leveraged it favorably, it's almost guaranteed that other companies/individuals would follow. From there, the discussion would be about why 5+ letter domains are all of a sudden the best way to go.

Most domain investors would probably agree that domain value comes down to interpretation and marketing. Let's be honest, advertising that a 2 character .com sold for millions is a nice way to facilitate interest in domains with similar characteristics. The point we were looking to make is "a short domain has its place; but the dictionary is a reminder that words of any length have a place wherever language is being embraced and/or leveraged".

Thank you again for sharing your perspective.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

Last edited:
•••
Thats one of the pros of namepros
Secret identity and unknown people can deztroy your impact points. To stay on topic,
I am on the forum recently, and I do not quite understand the reaction of the anonymus that put the cons of my post. I can prove that I sold 6-12 letter domains with two words more larger than 5-letter domains. I think that to put the cons anonymusly is ugly and dishonorable. This is the position of a weak and cowardly person.

•••
•••
“Less is more”
Sorry.
@Samer

We hope all is well. Thank you for chiming in. No need to be "sorry". "Less is more" for some; while "more is meaningful" to others. We definitely value, and understand, your viewpoint. Especially considering we hold some shorter slds as well. We're merely proponents of diversification and creative alternatives. That's all.

Thank you again for sharing your perspective.

Best Regards,

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
The quality of a name has nothing to do with the length short or long.
There are a bunch of short names are craps as they have no meaning or use.

•••
Thats one of the pros of namepros
Secret identity and unknown people can deztroy your impact points. To stay on topic,
As a person from the side, I dare to assure that this is not a plus, but a fat minus of this resource. All people interested in communication on the forum, a priori should be connected by one goal, therefore must be responsible for their actions and judgments. If the site is made in such a way that you will be get spittles in the back, and you will not know who did it, then everything is not so good in this place. No need to be proud of this, colleague.

•••
The quality of a name has nothing to do with the length short or long.
There are a bunch of short names are craps as they have no meaning or use.
@johnn,

We hope all is well. Thank you for taking the time to share your insights. We wholeheartedly agree with your points. It seems the sentiment among some is that "short" takes precedence over "meaning" and "use". Although every investor has the right to their outlook, it's apparent that emphasizing "shorter domains" and "highest sale price" is beginning to overshadow the fact every domain is essentially the same in function; but differs in "meaning" and "use".

Thank you again for sharing.

Best Regards,

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
Back