Domain Empire
Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Us grandpas could care less about baby names.
Hahahahahahhaha...

Still, I like the way you think!

•••
The home page would become NamePros with two big buttons below the main logo. The left button would be labeled "Domain Names" and the right button would be labeled....

"reverse planking".

•••
Ah....
The ability to add images just came back on here...

Now if you want visitors and mmembers, you need just these two buttons:
keyboard.jpg

Hmmm...I guess not?

•••
Ah....
The ability to add images just came back on here...

Now if you want visitors and mmembers, you need just these two buttons:
keyboard.jpg

Hmmm...I guess not?

Two is too many. You only need one.

•••
Ah....a music lover like myself.....

•••
I'm 50 / 50 on this one and I'll explain why.

First off, I do believe in second chances and that people change / mature over time. With that said, I'll proceed.

Side 1

On one side of the coin you have the members in which you reference that have scammed other members out of hundreds / thousands of dollars. There have been times (3 to 5 years later) we reviewed their account after they contacted us explaining how they were just young and dumb back then and have changed their ways as they matured. Some we gave a second chance, as people are not perfect and do make mistakes. 80% of these type 2nd chancers were back at their old ways again within 90 days. So, in these cases I would agree with more that 2nd chances may not be an option due to the high relapse rate and severity of their ban.

Don't get me wrong, we don't let everyone come back that's been banned for scamming, they have to be pretty darn convincing and their past logs have to show at least a little hope. Again, most these types have been gone 3 to 5 years before requesting their accounts back.

Side 2

On the other side of the coin we have some bans that are Duplicate accounts. While lots of times dup accounts are used for shill bidding and getting around previously banned accounts, there are legitimate reasons for some members to have the same IP's as others. For instance: 1.) Mom / Dad / Son all want to domain but live in the same home, naturally each wants their own account, 2.) College dorms sometimes have a limited IP range and multiple students end up with the same IP's, it's common for college students to be interested in the domain world, 3.) Free wifi spots, people travel and use wireless devices from free wifi hotspots all the time, theres going to be a chance someone else used the same hotspot at some point int in time (weeks, months, years from now) and it pops up as a dup account red flag.

I think these types deserve more leniency and more investigative research (Which we do try to do now days for the most part). Just as a side note, IP's are not the only factor in play, there's many other elements other than IP's that are calculated and automatically flag accounts.

The Middle

Now, we have the center of the coin, the meaty bits, these are the spammers and consistent rule breakers that exceeded their 20 point infraction limit by acquiring multiple infractions for repeat offenses. Each infraction does have an expiration date & once exceeded no longer counts towards the total.

At any rate, these types of auto point bans also fall in the second change area. Once some infractions expire and their point level drops below 20, they can ask for an account review to have the account reinstated (many do, but lots don't bother that have no intention of following the rules in the future anyways).

In conclusion

I can't speak for everyone, only myself, however I would like to think that we all have an understanding between right and wrong, as well as the due diligence to show compassion and forgiveness. I'm not saying everyone deserves a second chance, but that a large majority at least deserve the courtesy of an account review to determine whether or not they can have their account reinstated so they can try to be productive part of the community.

Just some insight from me, take it at face value or sweep it under the rug. We all have our own opinions :)

Eric Lyon
Member Services

Very cool post scorp.:tu:

•••
Okay, have removed from my bucket list number 32:
BUY NAMEPROS

Hope the new owner is as easy going as RJ.

I am sure he will.. Even I haven't seen Matt in person, I have experienced his kindness. :)

NAMEPROS is the place where I grew up and BODIS is the company that changed my life, what a perfect combination!

For RJ, thank you so much for all that you've done. Namepros is the home for all and any "domainers with heart". We don't need to pay to live here. We could eat, share and grew up here, and it's all because of you. Thanks! :tu:

•••
I know I'm new here but I'd like to say Congrats to both Matt and RJ on the sale/buy as well as a good luck to the future of NamePros.

Rj, I sincerely hope your grandmother can improve. I read a post you said she was doing a little better in terms of eating/moving etc and I'm praying she can get better :)

•••
RJ I hope all turns good for your grandma. :)

•••
Forums are a lot of work and i certainly don't begrudge Rj for seeking a break/something different, if it is Matt to take over the reigns well it seems like a good choice and the forum should grow even more

In a world of facebook fools this is one of the last 'old school' hangouts and i kinda like it that way

of course we wish grandma all the best

Last edited:
•••
How did I miss this thread???

RJ, congrats on the sale and sorry to hear about your Grandmother. :(

•••
Ron, sorry about your grandma and all the best to your family.

Regarding this sale I have only one question for you or Matt : are you going to approach it more as Adam on DNF from now on? Taxing members like that which I do not approve..but business is business though NP will lose a lot of members if that comes.

Will be nice to know though that nothing will change in NP's fees.

Andrei.

•••
I want to pay more.

It would be awesome to have an account where you can speak your mind without adhering to certain politically correct pre-approved talking points. ((:talk:))

Let's say for $15/month you get the special; "say what you really think without getting infracted back into the stone age" account.

It could be called the Freedom Account. :kickass:

•••
I would just like to take this opportunity to say thank you to the Moderators. I know moderating a forum is stressful and hard work.

Particularly now with the sale and what is posted on dnf about NamePros and the moderators.

The new owner saw value in this forum and our community. Be united and keep up the good work. Do what you do best and make us all proud.

Thank you

Cheers
Corey
_____

•••
Let's say for $15/month you get the special; "say what you really think without getting infracted back into the stone age" account.

It could be called the Freedom Account. :kickass:

So we could say things like, wow, boy, you're a complete asshole. Or something to that effect.

Or - how come no one complains that Domaingang deletes posts (post approval).. and that Adam DICKer bans users that don't meet his personal standards.

Or I could say really deep things like "Geez, isn't blogging hard. I have so much respect for bloggers"...

Last edited:
•••
I would just like to take this opportunity to say thank you to the Moderators. I know moderating a forum is stressful and hard work.
As I've mentioned before and I'll mention it again; If it wasn't for all of you guys, there wouldn't be a NamePros to begin with.

So thank you & everyone else for being a part of NamePros and for all the contributions you guys / gals have made over the years to keep this place alive and kicking.
:xf.love:

Eric Lyon
Member Services

•••
•••
So thank you & everyone else for being a part of NamePros and for all the contributions you guys / gals have made over the years to keep this place alive and kicking.

So, what's our cut?

I'm being facetious but I'm not.

•••
Regarding this sale I have only one question for you or Matt : are you going to approach it more as Adam on DNF from now on? Taxing members like that which I do not approve..but business is business though NP will lose a lot of members if that comes.

Will be nice to know though that nothing will change in NP's fees.

Andrei.

Nothing will change in NP fees. Will probably offer more free things to NP users.

If I really wanted to make money I'd probably be doing something else right now.

The only thing we'll be looking for is 1-2 major banner advertisers. Other than that I'll probably remove certain things like Adsense ads, etc.

Still haven't made up my mind on the advertising, but definitely no paid membership or any fees.

Certainly wish everyone can speak their minds without getting an infraction for speaking out about certain issues..that's what freedom is all about. ;)

•••
Congrats RJ

@Matt
1. Will there be a redesign?

2. Will you be putting up a sticky thread or a small banner in the header to create more awareness about SOPA/PIPA. Right now there's not much discussion in the SOPA thread I created. Check out http://wordpress.org (top right black banner)

•••
silentg said:
@Matt
1. Will there be a redesign?

2. Will you be putting up a sticky thread or a small banner in the header to create more awareness about SOPA/PIPA. Right now there's not much discussion in the SOPA thread I created. Check out http://wordpress.org (top right black banner)

Response to #1: Major YES!

Response to #2: I thought it is already dying as I just read architect is backing down? Surely, we can do something like this: http://internetbs.net/

•••
•••
•••
Please don't bring back the 'rick latona' skin ....... i am still having nightmares .....TOO BRIGHT

•••
What skin are most of you using? The only one that I can bear to use is Red/White/Blue.

If I add a skin, I'll make sure to keep these running so that it'll be your preference. However, if enough people like it I'll make the new skin the default skin eventually (still keeping all the others around).

The skin will aim at having better readability, which I think is the most important right now for any new skin.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back