Dynadot

Is it time to trash all non .com domains?

NameSilo
Watch

LarryDomain

Top Member
Impact
Inquiring minds want to know!

Share your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Really good .com names will only slightly feel their existence for next decade (this will though change with more advanced progress in voice searches via mobile, like Siri, which is still few years to come imo).

voice searches will not change anything, changing input method will not change domain preference, does not matter if you use your fingers or your mouth, wishful thinking at work here.

Siri will not save .horse.

word.word can be an alternative for wordword.com thus you would at best only double the supply of choices not more.

.com values will not be affected except for the very worst domains maybe.

nGTLDs are mostly kept alive by speculators ATM, nGTLD are overbought, even strings that are not registered in .com or don't make any sense in .com have been bought. When the Chinese pull out (50% of the market) the market will crash like a house of cards and when speculators leave there will be little left except for a few premiums that are registry reserved.

Last edited:
•••
Hint: follow the market.
If you want to make sales then you'd better buy .com domains.
Pigeon shit is hard to sell.

But for the rest, holders of mediocre .com portfolios (99.999% of people here), you should slowly start getting some good new gTLDs while there is still some chance.

Average .com portfolios will suffer significantly from all these new names, and I feel they will loose value quicker in next few years then many of their owners can realize now in 2017.
Holders of mediocre nTLD are not going to experience a similar drop in value, since their holdings are already worthless (and very illiquid) :)
But good luck with the renewal fees, at least they can be written of as operating loss for tax purposes :)

The dotcom boom is not going to repeat itself in another extension, only the newbies and the dreamers believe that. And there are too many extensions available, the end user demand is too limited and cannot absorb the oversupply.

Making a nTLD sale is achievable, but the real challenge is to repeat the feat again and again, and develop a proven business model. Even the registries are struggling. Again, that should surprise nobody but the newbies.

If you want to be an investor: .com + mature ccTLDs, purchased selectively (preferably aftermarket/expired auctions/buying straight from current holders).
If you want to be a domain collector: pretty much everything else :xf.grin:

•••
•••
Completely agree with you as a generality. But if one looks deep inside a pile of pigeon fecal matter you will surely get your hands dirty but also find some nuggets of lesser "fecal mattery" domains.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OMG... soooo funny but absolutely true

Even the so called domaining experts kick themselves once in a while because they did not get their hands dirty and lost out on a good one.

If I could give your post more than 1 like I surely would (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

•••
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OMG... soooo funny but absolutely true

Even the so called domaining experts kick themselves once in a while because they did not get their hands dirty and lost out on a good one.

If I could give your post more than 1 like I surely would (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Haha, I try. Thanks

•••
Not sure why you do this to yourself. We can talk about the low and few reported sales - $250, $101, $100 and your unwillingness to post your .vip sales because they're probably in the same range or lower. In your attempts to try to pump these or shine a nice light on them, I think you're actually doing the opposite.

Just checked, it's also almost 97% China - https://namestat.org/vip

Think about that for a little bit.

.vip has only some activity in China but mostly based on hype meaning it has to crash sooner or later. outside China it is 100% dead not even hype.

•••
Security.io is just sold for $15,000 USD at Flippa

•••
•••
I dont agree with this :D

•••
voice searches will not change anything, changing input method will not change domain preference, does not matter if you use your fingers or your mouth, wishful thinking at work here.

Siri will not save .horse.

word.word can be an alternative for wordword.com thus you would at best only double the supply of choices not more.

.com values will not be affected except for the very worst domains maybe.

nGTLDs are mostly kept alive by speculators ATM, nGTLD are overbought, even strings that are not registered in .com or don't make any sense in .com have been bought. When the Chinese pull out (50% of the market) the market will crash like a house of cards and when speculators leave there will be little left except for a few premiums that are registry reserved.
Voice search in future will change everything.

It will reduce spontaneous type-ins (which happen when people are typing directly keywords and attaching automatically .com to them in the address bar) dramatically imo - so .com domains which now drive lot of traffic (and well qualified traffic for that matter), will slowly loose this quality - and the traffic is very significant part of what makes these .com so valuable at the moment. This is all, it is not very complicated to understand :)

•••
Hint: follow the market.
If you want to make sales then you'd better buy .com domains.
Pigeon sh*t is hard to sell.

Holders of mediocre nTLD are not going to experience a similar drop in value, since their holdings are already worthless (and very illiquid) :)
But good luck with the renewal fees, at least they can be written of as operating loss for tax purposes :)

The dotcom boom is not going to repeat itself in another extension, only the newbies and the dreamers believe that. And there are too many extensions available, the end user demand is too limited and cannot absorb the oversupply.

Making a nTLD sale is achievable, but the real challenge is to repeat the feat again and again, and develop a proven business model. Even the registries are struggling. Again, that should surprise nobody but the newbies.

If you want to be an investor: .com + mature ccTLDs, purchased selectively (preferably aftermarket/expired auctions/buying straight from current holders).
If you want to be a domain collector: pretty much everything else :xf.grin:
...... and nothing about registries which will fail? :)

The advise "follow the market" is worst advise ever - it is direct way to poorness- you can not make ANY significant profit if you follow what all other people are doing. Not only in domaining, but in all aspects and areas of life, be it real estate, stocks, art..whatever you choose. The secret is to buy low, when all are selling (and in fear), and to sell, when all are buying (and in greed).
:)

•••
Although in any commodity the price is manipulated by the big players, with pump and dumps (even in recessions), to make money out of the people who sell, you can anticipate that in their majority the price will rise in long term, to make the big players even richier. Like the value of US stocks, which is pumped 10% a year or US big banks 20% per year (so anyone can become a billionaire like Warren Buffet if he is willing to wait 70 years). Like the pumped price of top coms or top ngtlds. Or the like the pumped Bitcoin or Ethereum with at least 100% per year, so anyone can become a billionaire much quicker, in 20-40 years, if he starts with $1000.

•••
First the ones people have heard of and actually use, then a possibility. Why the rush to flood the web with every extension possible?

•••

It will reduce spontaneous type-ins (which happen when people are typing directly keywords and attaching automatically .com to them in the address bar) dramatically imo - so .com domains which now drive lot of traffic (and well qualified traffic for that matter), will slowly loose this quality - and the traffic is very significant part of what makes these .com so valuable at the moment. This is all, it is not very complicated to understand :)

most domains don't sell because of traffic anymore, that was many years ago so it is the usual BS argument.

also what would prevent people from adding com to a word when using voice input?

Last edited:
•••
http://domainincite.com/6800-massive-group-forms-to-kill-off-new-gtlds

many brands don't want the new extensions. another myth busted. they are protecting themselves that's all.

If the ICANN program proceeds, CRIDO firmly believes, the loss of trust in Internet transactions will be substantial. In addition, the for profit and non-profit brand community will suffer from billions of dollars in unnecessary expenditures – money that could be better invested in product improvements, capital expenditures and job creation.

CRIDO’s members comprise 47 trade associations, most but not all American, and 40 companies, many of them major household names such as Coca-Cola, Burger King and Kellogg.

List includes companies like Dell, Ford, GE, Coca Cola, Nestle, Adobe and Samsung.

The corporate world never wanted them that is why they are unlikely to use them.

The World Federation of Advertisers has become the fifth major coalition of advertising big-spenders to ask ICANN to rethink its new gTLD program.

http://domainincite.com/6018-fifth-ad-group-opposes-new-gtlds

Last edited:
•••
most domains don't sell because of traffic anymore, that was many years ago so it is the usual BS argument.

also what would prevent people from adding com to a word when using voice input?
Absolutely not true - traffic is the key element of value of best .com domains.

Of course, if one sells some mediocre, made up brandable for high XXX, there will be no traffic - people are buying "brand" in this case. But great keyword domains for million of USD - of course the traffic is important!

As for adding .com to voice input - you are probably the only one doing so :) When I search for "Prague restaurants" or "London properties" using voice functionality at my smartphone, I do not add there .com...

•••
http://domainincite.com/6800-massive-group-forms-to-kill-off-new-gtlds

many brands don't want the new extensions. another myth busted. they are protecting themselves that's all.

List includes companies like Dell, Ford, GE, Coca Cola, Nestle, Adobe and Samsung.

The corporate world never wanted them that is why they are unlikely to use them.

http://domainincite.com/6018-fifth-ad-group-opposes-new-gtlds
Thank you for your "news" from 2011..
And now have a look what is going on in 2017 in the world of corporate .brands - excellent source fo information, if you really want to be informed - http://www.makeway.world/showcase/

•••
Thank you for your "news" from 2011..
And now have a look what is going on in 2017 in the world of corporate .brands - excellent source fo information, if you really want to be informed - http://www.makeway.world/showcase/

looks nice if you see major brands names but a lot of them are simply redirect, not even intend for use probably.

maybe only a handful of large brands using them for their main homepage. not much after 3 years. the rest are mini-sites or some specific uses.

Of course investors love to show brand names to make it seem the business is on board and increasingly adopting nGTLDs and switching to them but in reality this is not much.

Last edited:
•••

Of course, if one sells some mediocre, made up brandable for high XXX, there will be no traffic - people are buying "brand" in this case. But great keyword domains for million of USD - of course the traffic is important!

As for adding .com to voice input - you are probably the only one doing so :) When I search for "Prague restaurants" or "London properties" using voice functionality at my smartphone, I do not add there .com...

Will have to disagree with that.

You can have a fantastic domain that does not get much traffic, just because a) there was never a site on it; b) it is not an item people type in and look for.

While it still presents great value because of its meaning, memorability once promoted and seen/heard by client etc.

On the other hand, just sort GD drops by traffic and you'll see 99% of crappy names that even with supposed hundreds of visitors a month no one wants to pay $15 for to get it.

•••

Nice discussion going on here mates, keep it coming.

@lolwarrior when we say that (the pink/bold line above), it is mostly for SEO domains, that are to be used for SEO purpose. Or for domains to be directly used by domain buyers, for website flipping and whatnot.

But when it comes to value'ing a domain, traffic doesn't always comes as a priority. It comes down to how relevant the domain is, and how easy it can be embedded to with the business.

Just my thoughts,

•••
the top sales in the past year.. the majority are not traffic sales i would say

hg.com 3,770,000 USD 2016-11-27 Pvt Sale
fly.com 2,890,000 USD 2017-04-04 Private
vivo.com 2,100,000 USD 2016-09-02 Private
01.com 1,820,000 USD 2017-01-29 VIP Brokerage
20.com 1,750,000 USD 2017-04-16 NameExperts
xxxvideos.com 1,368,000 USD 2016-11-20 Pvt Sale
la.com 1,200,000 USD 2016-05-08 Pvt Sale
yk.com 900,000 USD 2016-07-17 GetYourDomain
rate.com 725,000 USD 2016-05-29 Castello Brothers
997.com 688,888 USD 2016-11-20 Pvt Sale
da.com 650,000 USD 2016-09-25 DomainNameBroker
refi.com 500,000 USD 2017-03-12 Buckley Media Group
asset.com 406,000 USD 2017-03-26 Sharjil Saleem
broker.com 375,000 USD 2016-08-03 Sedo
aus.com 345,000 USD 2016-08-14 BQDN
promotion.com 315,000 USD 2016-07-17 Pvt Sale
advance.com 300,000 USD 2017-01-01 Buckley Media Group
quick.com 299,000 USD 2016-05-15 Heritage Auctions
single.com 290,000 USD 2017-01-23 NamesCon
3w.com 280,000 USD 2017-02-26 Guta.com
0123.com 252,500 USD 2016-10-05 Flippa
what.com 251,000 USD 2016-10-30 Indus Domains / NameKart
framer.com 250,000 USD 2017-01-15 Undeveloped
babygames.com 250,000 USD 2016-09-18 Nokta
5111.com 218,000 USD 2017-04-23 GoDaddy

•••
It will change very little because voice search is already routine for many smart device owners.
Some people also speculated that the apps would make domain names less relevant, it's of course incorrect. In 1996 people were saying that search engines would make domain names obsolete etc :)
You see, domain names have been dying for so long :xf.grin:
And if you're saying that domain names will become irrelevant including .com, then you shouldn't be investing in domain names at all.

...... and nothing about registries which will fail? :)
Registries will fail of course, but it is mostly the nTLD domainers who will fail, very few people will remain profitable (usually they are called registries anyway).

The advise "follow the market" is worst advise ever - it is direct way to poorness- you can not make ANY significant profit if you follow what all other people are doing. Not only in domaining, but in all aspects and areas of life, be it real estate, stocks, art..
In my opinion it's good advice, because you can't sell stuff that is not in demand. It's strictly speculation or gambling, if you are waiting for awareness and demand to come in the future.
If you want to sell domains, then you need to look at what end users are buying today.

In fact, very few people understand the value of domain names, even domainers (or especially domainers). The evidence is all around here that domainers for the most part are not getting it and living in denial.

So thousands of domainers may be buying .com, but only a few are successful because they are buying smarter and the majority of the competitors do not understand the market well enough to make good decisions.

•••
:xf.cry:
It will change very little because voice search is already routine for many smart device owners.
Some people also speculated that the apps would make domain names less relevant, it's of course incorrect. In 1996 people were saying that search engines would make domain names obsolete etc :)
You see, domain names have been dying for so long :xf.grin:
And if you're saying that domain names will become irrelevant including .com, then you shouldn't be investing in domain names at all.

Registries will fail of course, but it is mostly the nTLD domainers who will fail, very few people will remain profitable (usually they are called registries anyway).

In my opinion it's good advice, because you can't sell stuff that is not in demand. It's strictly speculation or gambling, if you are waiting for awareness and demand to come in the future.
If you want to sell domains, then you need to look at what end users are buying today.

In fact, very few people understand the value of domain names, even domainers (or especially domainers). The evidence is all around here that domainers for the most part are not getting it and living in denial.

So thousands of domainers may be buying .com, but only a few are successful because they are buying smarter and the majority of the competitors do not understand the market well enough to make good decisions.

You forget 1 thing - all investments are time sensitive. Of course, you need to reg good names, it is first prerequisite to success, this is what I am saying all the time (and for low renewals). But then, it is very important also WHEN you do so - you must to do that EARLY, in order to have a significant success (profit) in future. If you do that late, you are just catching the train.

What you are suggesting is always the same, in all your posts (and it well corresponds with your motto "think inside the box" imo) - wait until there is actually a good liquidity at the market, and avoid any speculation. But I mind you, whenever there is a good liquidity and market is well established, prices are already way way up. So your advise is not bad, but it does not lead to good results..it leads to "so so", very average results. It can not be otherwise, logically. I am sure though for many people this advise will be sufficient.

In order to save $$$ today, you advise to give up $$$ $$$ in future. All speculation (no matter what the probabilities are) are bad. For you it can make great sense, but there are other people (like me) and for them it does not make any sense. We do not want to wait until each normal new gTLDs name will be for XXXX/year (which is slowly happening now anyway, after lot of registries woke up and started to apply premium renewal models with much higher intensity in 2016)

Time sensitivity :
- you need to buy when it is cheap (and people are in fear, or not yet confident - market is still new)
- you need to sell when it is expensive (market is proven, liquidity is there, and people are in greed, expecting large future profits). This is the way how one can achieve great results. You advise to people basically the opposite, just to be 100% safe. This safety can cost them a lot in the future - if they play accordingly, they will stay with empty hands and have nothing valuable :xf.cry:

•••
Nice discussion going on here mates, keep it coming.

@lolwarrior when we say that (the pink/bold line above), it is mostly for SEO domains, that are to be used for SEO purpose. Or for domains to be directly used by domain buyers, for website flipping and whatnot.

But when it comes to value'ing a domain, traffic doesn't always comes as a priority. It comes down to how relevant the domain is, and how easy it can be embedded to with the business.

Just my thoughts,
Oh definitely, I agree - I am not saying for ALL domains, I am saying it is key element of value for high class domains (for many of them)..of course, no objections towards the fact that it also has to suit particular business, etc, etc :)

•••
Looks like Epik is investing very significantly in the new GTLD space. CEO Rob Monster just posted the following:

"Overall, I believe this decision bodes well for the .CITY TLD, to the extent that registrants use the TLD in a manner that is consistent with marketing a city.

As context, to date, about a year after assembling the world’s largest .CITY domain portfolio, we have had just 2 UDRP complaints and zero cease and desist letters related to our use of .CITY domains.

For anyone interested, and for the sake of full disclosure, the next big milestones for DigitalTown coming up are:

(1) May 9-11, DigitalTown will meet with the registry operators of the new web in Madrid. In addition to existing strategic deals with .LONDON, .BOSTON, .MIAMI, .LAW and .FIT, we are finalizing strategic deals with many more registry operators. In the process, we are architecting the new web. We call it the “Smart Web” — the new online real estate of a Smart Internet, connected by a single sign on Smart Wallet.

(2) May 20-23, DigitalTown will launch the Smart.Menu platform at the National Restaurant Association convention in Chicago. Smart.Menu is a breakthrough platform that is being launched in partnership with the trade associations as a means to equip any restaurant to be a digital restaurant. The launch version of the platform also includes city directories for thousands of cities all running on .MENU. This levels the playing field against Open Table, Yelp, etc.

(3) June 12-16 at London Tech Week, we will launch Smart.London. This is a global event for us, where we will not only start the global movement but also launch the web services platform that lets independent developers build their own applications. This will done through a Hackathon. It is a cash-efficient method for us to crowdsource software innovation, very similar to how say Xbox became dominant in console gaming, or how WordPress has become the dominant content management system for building sites.

(4) July 16-19 in Nashville, we will launch Nashville.city. It is a US flagship launch. The event will be mainly at the Convention of the American Chamber of Commerce Executives. In addition to exhibiting and sponsoring we’ll host an event on July 17 starting at 5:30 pm at the iconic The Stage on Broadway, inviting the multi-stakeholder Nashville community to celebrate the opening of Nashville.city with national PR support that introduces to other cities how they can learn from Nashville’s example.

(5) August 8-10 in New York we are scheduled to be with the National Association of Bar Executives at their annual conference for the introduction of DigitalTown’s global .LAW network, a network expected to cover thousands of cities. This platform gives the State Bars a response to Avvo as they regain their role as a source of legal referrals.

In short, the SmartWeb is quickly becoming a reality. And while the “.COM Forever” folks might not love this news, the reality is that it makes intuitive sense that the web would become descriptive. ICANN should perhaps have played a larger role as architect in approving TLD application. The fact that they did not simply means that the private sector needs to self-organize around some organizing principles. I believe this is indeed happening, and I am happy for DigitalTown to play a role as enabling catalyst."

Source: https://onlinedomain.com/2017/05/01...n-wins-udrp-complaint-domain-gorgonzola-city/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back