Dynadot

Is it time to trash all non .com domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LarryDomain

Top Member
Impact
Inquiring minds want to know!

Share your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One big celeb, one announcement, just one thing could ignite interest quickly.

I'll have to disagree on that one. Google, Justin Bieber, pretty big. Didn't ignite anything. Bieber got a .tattoo, which only had a little over 8,000 regs at peak, now down below 3,000 - https://ntldstats.com/tld/tattoo

Google got .xyz, that's dropping already and those penny drops are coming.

It's going to take hundreds/thousands of quality sites for people to see these. That's not happening. Most are just too niche. The others (more generic ones) are just horrible, xyz, gdn, link etc. .net is better than all of those.

Last edited:
•••
Trash all non com!? - Hell no! There are still a lot of great domains in any extensions, you only have to find them! We all know that .com is the golden standard, but don't trash other extensions. The internet evolution is still in the infancy stage. 25 years is nothing and all the non .com extension bashers will sooner or later have to adapt to the reality in which we are living. :xf.smile:

•••
I'll have to disagree on that one. Google, Justin Bieber, pretty big. Didn't ignite anything. Bieber got a .tattoo, which only had a little over 8,000 regs at peak, now down below 3,000 - https://ntldstats.com/tld/tattoo

Google got .xyz, that's dropping already and those penny drops are coming.

It's going to take hundreds/thousands of quality sites for people to see these. That's not happening.
You're right, but I was speaking more to domain investors...not so much end users.

•••
I am very careful about extensions other than .com . I play very tight with new gTLDs. Some examples of the ones I have are:

ai.city
crunch.xyz
universal.cam
billing.global
eastern.global
homeloan.online

By the way, I don't know if it's just me, but I have had several $100+ sales of .ninja that I hand regged only 30 days before. Not huge paydays, but I have noticed in particular that .ninja can sell here on NP.

•••
- Maybe the Chinese would jump on other extensions.
- Maybe VR won't live up to it's hype and will be replaced by the next best thing
- Maybe some middle eastern Billionaires would start acquiring .CAMEL domains

So the bottomline is you just can't predict what will happen 5 to 10 years from now.

So take a deep breath, don't trash any domains and just...
Netflix and Chill! :brb::facepalm:

•••
.com is like Google.
.net/.org are like Bing/yahoo

Others are like lycos, teoma, duckduckgo etc.

Now, you decide.
bing is better than google

•••
It will be interesting to see the result
Sedo’s May Great Domains Auction: ” The Future Edition”. It's focused on new gTLDs.

This auction event will feature new gTLD's. Sedo is accepting applications now. I have submitted a few domains, some of which I posted above.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. The only thing is, there is a $10 per name application fee. Otherwise I would have submitted more.

There is a submission form on their website. You will need to have an account at Sedo and be logged into the account in order to submit domain names for the auction.

Last edited:
•••
It will be interesting to see the result
Sedo’s May Great Domains Auction: ” The Future Edition”. It's focused on new gTLDs.

This auction event will feature new gTLD's. Sedo is accepting applications now. I have submitted a few domains, some of which I posted above.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. The only thing is, there is a $10 per name application fee. Otherwise I would have submitted more.

There is a submission form on their website. You will need to have an account at Sedo and be logged into the account in order to submit domain names for the auction.
I have looked at this but I found this:
Application Criteria for GreatDomains Auction+
Application phase is April 21 - May 11.
Only generic and high-quality domains are eligible for auctions. Once you submit your domains, our brokerage team reviews these against our criteria. It is up to the discretion of our domain brokers whether your domain is accepted for the GreatDomains Auction+ (Domains under review cannot be put up for sale for about 3 - 5 days).

An application fee of $10 is charged for each domain that is submitted. This fee is non-refundable regardless of whether a domain is accepted or denied entry into the auction. An additional commission of 15% of the highest bid is charged for a successful auction sale.

01.png

Premium Domain Extension
The domain extension (TLD) of the domain is a premium TLD and has achieved high-priced sales in the past (such as .com, .net or .co.uk). New gTLDs cannot be submitted. This time, these will be provided directly from our registry partners.

@Silentptnr Please sent me some feedback if Sedo will accept any of your new gtld submissiions! Thanks!

•••
I have looked at this but I found this:
Application Criteria for GreatDomains Auction+
Application phase is April 21 - May 11.
Only generic and high-quality domains are eligible for auctions. Once you submit your domains, our brokerage team reviews these against our criteria. It is up to the discretion of our domain brokers whether your domain is accepted for the GreatDomains Auction+ (Domains under review cannot be put up for sale for about 3 - 5 days).

An application fee of $10 is charged for each domain that is submitted. This fee is non-refundable regardless of whether a domain is accepted or denied entry into the auction. An additional commission of 15% of the highest bid is charged for a successful auction sale.

01.png

Premium Domain Extension
The domain extension (TLD) of the domain is a premium TLD and has achieved high-priced sales in the past (such as .com, .net or .co.uk). New gTLDs cannot be submitted. This time, these will be provided directly from our registry partners.

@Silentptnr Please sent me some feedback if Sedo will accept any of your new gtld submissiions! Thanks!
I didn't see that! Thanks!

•••
•••
Premium Domain Extension
Perfectly illustrates how registries have taken the place of domainers in the ngtld space (reserved names, premium pricing, etc. and now also as the only eligible party in this auction within this name space).

•••
Should I add my motel.tips domain? Referring to the sedo auction... Hm :)

•••
Is it time to trash all non .com domains?.
If you had the experience required to buy more speculative names then you would not be concerned about what you bought. If you don't have the experience, don't buy them.

•••
I would ditch all gtlds stick to com net org and cctlds

•••
Perfectly illustrates how registries have taken the place of domainers in the ngtld space (reserved names, premium pricing, etc. and now also as the only eligible party in this auction within this name space).
Right. This is likely a cosponsored event. Domainers not allowed. Does that send a message or what?
Initially, I thought it might be a "Future Tech" auction, but no such luck.

•••
Funny thing is, i got a bill to pay the app fees in my email. I didnt pay it yet thanks to @1Darko . :)

•••
to anyone thinking of dropping one word ngtld names (that make sense), pm me first, I might help you break even.

•••
Look at sales of domains sold in any keyword. End user buyers have been buying mixed extensions long before we were talking about gtlds.

•••
For me, At present I like "King.Com", I dislike "Com.King" (y)

•••
•••

Still can make names like johnking.com or john.king
com.king is a poor example of a domain hack.

•••
Theoretically if you can make money with a portfolio of domains in any extension, go for it. There are people who make a career working at McDonalds. However, like most people working at McDonalds, portfolios loaded with alternative extensions tend to not perform well.

•••
Theoretically if you can make money with a portfolio of domains in any extension, go for it. There are people who make a career working at McDonalds. However, like most people working at McDonalds, portfolios loaded with alternative extensions tend to not perform well.
McDonald's Corp Jim Skinner CEO's pay package was $9.7 million
and to think he once flipped burgers. Whether your selling at 10% or 1000% there is still profit and there are still people capable. Popular keywords have sold in many extensions. Sure dot com rules the roost but doesn't mean you should be dropping your best domain hacks. There are poor registrations made in many extensions along with good ones.

10% of USA work force works for Mcdonalds at some point.

Last edited:
•••
Taking this, expanding on it in a literal sense:

- If there was a real .King extension, Com.King could actually be a far more precise fit. I guarantee you people would be salivating over that name.

- But, where Com.King has a more direct approach and literal use (basically implying the "King of Com"), it loses against King.Com in a more widespread appeal, where the ".com" is taken out of the equation because of its ubiquity and you are left solely with the word "King".

Is it time to trash all non .com domains?
This is a very juvenile approach- but whatever floats your boat.

I think since every domain name requires an extension to function, why not take advantage of the TLD if it fits the name?

•••
except its a one word TLD that makes sense, dot com is always the choice , in my opinion

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back