Domain Empire

Is it time to trash all non .com domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LarryDomain

Top Member
Impact
Inquiring minds want to know!

Share your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What you are suggesting is always the same, in all your posts (and it well corresponds with your motto "think inside the box" imo) - wait until there is actually a good liquidity at the market, and avoid any speculation.
More or less yes :xf.frown: I am not saying domainers shouldn't speculate, but they must minimize the risk.
A good portfolio, with any kinds of assets, should be balanced, that means the proportion of high-risk investments must be kept to a small percentage, and offset with safer investments.

If your portfolio is 100% new extensions, then you will suffer. If it's 10% new extensions, and the rest is .com/strong ccTLDs, then you are in a better position. But even dotcom portfolios are not profitable for the majority of domainers. So...

You advise to people basically the opposite, just to be 100% safe. This safety can cost them a lot in the future - if they play accordingly, they will stay with empty hands and have nothing valuable :xf.cry:
Just a couple observations:
  • The value of good .com has always gone up. Even up to this day.
  • The naysayers are more often right than wrong in this industry.
  • Tell me which nTLD I should invest in right now, there are so many. You don't know, it's just gambling. So I prefer to stick to the proven stuff. It's not that I am narrow-minded, but I need to know what I am doing. In new extensions I don't know what I should buy and why, and what my exit strategy could be. Not to mention that I want to make sales today, not in 10 or 20 years if things go according to the plan.
  • Buying lottery tickets is not an investment...

•••
I think that it is good time now to trash non .com domains.

•••
Every situation is different. Some nGTLD names can work excellent for niche marketing, direct sales, standing out in a crowded field (real estate, insurance sales) or other purpose driven areas.
.com is the leader and should always be considered an important part of your strategy.
End users might find it more appealing to get an excellent one or two word nGTLD at a small fraction of the .com price. Domainers might find it safer to invest in high quality .com domains which have a longer track record. Just look at the total cost of renewing 50 nGTLD vs. the acquisition of one excellent .com and you will see why most entrenched .com investors say focus on .com. Cheers.

•••
"Is it time to trash all non .com domains?"

Imho, the above question is kind of "Is it time to stop dating with all girls but french ones?" or "Is it time to stop eating everything but pizza" and similar "questions", i.e. senseless.

•••
Is it time to trash all non .com domains?

I really don't want to be disrespectful - but in my opinion it's time to trash this question ;)

•••
•••
•••
•••
There are good .com names and there are bad .com names. Our advice with bad .com names is to drop them before the renewal expenses get out of hand.

The same can be applied to extensions... there are good ones and bad ones

I think the marketplace will determine which ones will be considered good and which ones will be considered bad. It will be based on multiple factors like how long is the extension, how marketable is it, what are the renewal rates and what is the consumer awareness.

In the end the prediction of hundred of them will probably be narrowed down exponentially, so all we really have to do is allow the marketplace to do what it does. The strong survive and the weak go bankrupt. The smart domain investor asks himself.... what extensions have the most potential because that is all we do. Domain selling is speculation, the better you are at that the more money you will make.

•••
I actually managed to sell a really, really bad .co.nz domain for $25USD once.

I'll have to admit, it's my proudest sale.

•••
•••
I'm just starting to get into domaining and couldn't help but register a bunch of gTLDs, I realize this was probably a mistake in hindsight, however I still see a lot of potential in some of them and they helped broaden my portfolio for cheap, do you think I'll have any luck selling sites like watchsurfing.live watchsoccer.live ect?

•••
I'm just starting to get into domaining and couldn't help but register a bunch of gTLDs, I realize this was probably a mistake in hindsight, however I still see a lot of potential in some of them and they helped broaden my portfolio for cheap, do you think I'll have any luck selling sites like watchsurfing.live watchsoccer.live ect?

I think probably no sorry. but you never know. One can not win any game if you do not play. It costs money to play. Example, Cars, women, domain names. lol

•••
Besides the premium like buy.land fast.cars, find.hookers.. etc.. i wouldn't want to hold on to anything like desserts.car or something similar..etc

It's your lucky day, Fast.Cars is available to register for $2,400+ :)

This is not a suggestion to register this domain name. Anyone who does so is an idiot.

Last edited:
•••
Voice search in future will change everything.

It will reduce spontaneous type-ins (which happen when people are typing directly keywords and attaching automatically .com to them in the address bar) dramatically imo - so .com domains which now drive lot of traffic (and well qualified traffic for that matter), will slowly loose this quality - and the traffic is very significant part of what makes these .com so valuable at the moment. This is all, it is not very complicated to understand :)

Do you type urls when searching? Are you going to say 'url' instead of 'keywords' when 'voice searching'? How exactly is voice search gonna have any relevance on the ngTLDs?

For the past 20years, .net which is the closest to .com only managed to control 10% of the entire website. If .net has been unable to make it anywhere close to .com, why then do you believe .flower .international .blablabla will eventually gain traction and surpass (or get anywhere close to) .com? Not in the next 100 years, not anytime for that matter. Believe me!

I think you guys spend too much time debating nonsense rather than doing the actual domaining and gaining real hands on experiences.

The Registrars are only deceiving gullible speculators and making their money off them. They knew the so called ngTLDs will never get anywhere beyond domainers portfolios.

•••
In short, the SmartWeb is quickly becoming a reality. And while the “.COM Forever” folks might not love this news, the reality is that it makes intuitive sense that the web would become descriptive. ICANN should perhaps have played a larger role as architect in approving TLD application. The fact that they did not simply means that the private sector needs to self-organize around some organizing principles. I believe this is indeed happening, and I am happy for DigitalTown to play a role as enabling catalyst."

This is nothing new from a registrar operator trying to promote new .trash. What would you expect to hear from Mr Rob? I have had personal dealing with Rob. He is very smart and I know this doesn't go beyond marketing gimmick.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back