Dynadot

Is it time to trash all non .com domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LarryDomain

Top Member
Impact
Inquiring minds want to know!

Share your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I already trashed 110 gTLDs in last 2 Months.
Concentrating .COM and ccTLD (Your Own Country) will be much profitable.
I even avoiding .NET .ORG until something got WOW.

•••
bing is better than google

Precisely my point. No matter how good you are, majority of people still won't use. Cos, just like how Google comes naturally to ppl, .com comes naturally.

•••
Depends on what the domain is actually. I have a name like CheapTrips/.to , I believe it may work someday etc so not all are bad.

•••
.info the best and most under rated will rise from the ashes:pompous:

•••
I buy and sell only .com's and .ca's because I am from Canada.

I actually do pretty well with the .ca's so I would say that some of the country codes are ripe for the picking.

•••
You could hand-reg 4L .com's in 2006. They weren't all taken until 2007-2008. And, if you bought one's owned you could get them for $15.
Look at it this way.

You could buy regular LLLLs for $50 average in 2006, you can buy them for $250 average in 2017.

In 11 years someone made you great service of holding those names and paying renewals for just $200, which is roughly 4% interest on $9/year renewals and initial investment of $50.

•••
when the llll.com combo sold out at about 2010 or so ,I was able to sell a bunch of garbage llll.coms for 180-200 that was the high they worked down to 40 bucks again on godaddy ebay namej etc.b4 trading back up 2years ago ,the 200 mark seems to be the support area. and I think its cheap as hell to get in at that floor ,I can see base prices in the 800 range in just 2 years

•••
You could hand-reg 4L .com's in 2006. They weren't all taken until 2007-2008. And, if you bought one's owned you could get them for $15.

Ok, fine, you hand registered it and your return made 8% annualized. Still nothing spectacular in such a risky business and worth paying someone else for holding it for you.

•••
.com is like Google.
.net/.org are like Bing/yahoo

Others are like lycos, teoma, duckduckgo etc.

Now, you decide.

Loved it. Very, very well said.

It can't be simpler than that when it comes to knowing the true value of .com domains.

•••
.com is like Google.
.net/.org are like Bing/yahoo

Others are like lycos, teoma, duckduckgo etc.

Now, you decide.

Except country codes like .ca they are like Google.ca ..... of value in the country of origin.

•••
Bla bla bla .. I've literally said it before .. so I won't say it again (because I can just quote myself ... lol)

I'm relatively new .. but I'm getting reeeeaaaally tired of the all or nothing debates on every aspect of the new gTLD's .. seriously .. there are so many factors and shades of grey that everybody conveniently leaves out to justify their point of view.

Yes they can be some great use of them ..
.. but (IMO) yes most domainers don't seem to understand what works and what doesn't

Yes most of them are garbage ..
.. but yes some of them do have their rightful place on the Internet and are useful

Yes there was a good argument to add new TLD's
.. but yes they added too many and they were also implemented quite sloppily.

If you're buying 10 cent domains then unless you go there in the first 3 minutes it's very likely not worth it ..
.. if you're buying premiums that cost $1000's per year then it's also likely not worth it ..
.. if you find a cool span.thedot domain for $10-20 per year with an initial acquisition cost a fraction the cost of the equivalent .com then there's a chance you could be doing it right and might make a little $$ in the long term.

At the end of the day there are some fantastic nTLD domains ..
.. but most of them are garbage (seems I already said that .. lol)

So yes .. there are aspects of them that are inovative ...
.. and yes .. there are some aspects of them that are not!

ANYBODY who blanket judges and chooses one side or the other is missing out both potential losses and on potential opportunity.

Yes (y) ... and ... Yes (n)

•••
I think that new gltds will blow up unexpectedly in about 10 years but this will only happen after the lowest performing ones collapse. Sadly, I'm not creative enough to think of what trend that could cause this...but I will be watching...

•••
If you have good new gTLDs => keep them
If you have bad new gTLDs => drop them
and mind about renewals = invest only in these with low renewals (max usd 20-25)
remember : just because there is a high renewal attached to it, it does not mean it is a good name
:)

•••
.com and true cctlds that represent countries. Obviously true cctlds that are open to registrants without restrictions, will be even better.

Everything else wont have enough End Users needed to keep the Tld brand growing. You need 1000's of medium and large companies using the TLD's , most large cctlds have them already

Last edited:
•••
The only thing for sure about the new gTLD's is that they will continue to be hotly debated, everything else is pure speculation and hearsay.

That said, I have participated in a lot of hearsay :xf.laugh:

•••
When considering new gTLDs, I personally see

.online
.live
.life
.world
.vip

doing very well in future- mainly broad ones like .online and in certain extend .vip have lot of potential, but also .life and .world are interesting as they can create nice brandables - and there seem to be already lot of pages well developed on them (if you check Alexa 1 mil) - so looks like end users like them.

•••
I don't think it's good to trash any of the good ones the bad ones perhaps. But thats up to people to decide.

•••
If you want to EAT and MAKE money you stick to GOOD .com's
If you want to STARVE and LOSE money, keep registering everything else.
But Pigeonshit is Pigeonshit regardless of extension.

•••

IMO .vip is the most hyped and also one of the worst strings, it will never gain much traction not even in China.

Very limited niche, not many will brand under .vip

It sounds just odd if a business calls themselves XY VIP unless it is for certain niche purposes. .online is much better.

Last edited:
•••
•••
But Pigeonsh*t is Pigeonsh*t regardless of extension.
Good morning @Rick Schwartz :)

•••
Lol....Good analogy.

I'm giving up on Google searches, and I find DuckDuckGo suits me better. Google seems to be more interested in providing sales sites in the results, and I usually want information.

•••
But Pigeonsh*t is Pigeonsh*t regardless of extension.
Completely agree with you as a generality. But if one looks deep inside a pile of pigeon fecal matter you will surely get your hands dirty but also find some nuggets of lesser "fecal mattery" domains.

•••
IMO .vip is the most hyped and also one of the worst strings, it will never gain much traction not even in China.

Very limited niche, not many will brand under .vip

It sounds just odd if a business calls themselves XY VIP unless it is for certain niche purposes. .online is much better.
Go my friend go :) Can we also have a bit from @Kate about "how registries will fail" and my favourite "do not invest in dead.horse", and bit from @JB Lions in regard of the horrible and weak sales of .vip? Seriously guys, you help a lot - I am at the moment purchasing .vip MASSIVELY, but some people simply do not want to sell! So I guess they should learn more about how .vip is not performing :) Last time there was such a heated debate, I was able to get some amazing .life names for bargain..so I appreciate all your effort!

Now seriously - if you are visionary and happen to invest in 1997-2000 and now holding amazing .coms, there is really no need to get any interest in new gTLDs.Really good .com names will only slightly feel their existence for next decade (this will though change with more advanced progress in voice searches via mobile, like Siri, which is still few years to come imo).

But for the rest, holders of mediocre .com portfolios (99.999% of people here), you should slowly start getting some good new gTLDs while there is still some chance. Average .com portfolios will suffer significantly from all these new names, and I feel they will loose value quicker in next few years then many of their owners can realize now in 2017.

•••
Go my friend go :) Can we also have a bit from @Kate about "how registries will fail" and my favourite "do not invest in dead.horse", and bit from @JB Lions in regard of the horrible and weak sales of .vip? Seriously guys, you help a lot - I am at the moment purchasing .vip MASSIVELY, but some people simply do not want to sell! So I guess they should learn more about how .vip is not performing :) Last time there was such a heated debate, I was able to get some amazing .life names for bargain..so I appreciate all your effort!.

Not sure why you do this to yourself. We can talk about the low and few reported sales - $250, $101, $100 and your unwillingness to post your .vip sales because they're probably in the same range or lower. In your attempts to try to pump these or shine a nice light on them, I think you're actually doing the opposite.

Just checked, it's also almost 97% China - https://namestat.org/vip

Think about that for a little bit.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back