IT.COM

Is there any way to utilize being Japanese in domain investment?

NameSilo
Watch

nekoneko

Impact

Or,Is there any way for non-native English speakers to have an advantage?

What comes to mind I think is that if a premium domain is owned by a Japanese person, he/she can write emails in natural Japanese.
The same is true when selling.

This is something that anyone can come up with.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think you can ''utilize'' being Japanese, but not in the way you think. You think of an immediate advantage like writing/speaking Japanese, but that won't make any difference.

What does make the difference is the fact that once you understand the market, the rules, the needs and generally - the domaining game in English, then it will be easier for you to come up with more creative ways to get names that the Japanese market needs specifically. You will know the game flow from one side and the Japanese mentality and demand - from the other. That will give you advantage with your ''paisanos'' )

•••
Japanese market for domains is enigma to me. I have studied the language for a year at college, so have some idea how linguistics work, but the choices Japanese companies make for their names is baffling. It is like the URL doesn't matter mindset. Plus, they have .jp and co.jp available. And, from what I have seen, they are just as fine with using .net as they are with .com. So if .com is taken, they'll just happily take .net and use it and never bother with paying premium. Or just add ltd, inc, dash something, as long as it is handreg.

Most of their websites aren't even geared towards international or getting lots of business from the web. More like placeholder and e-brochure.

The Japanese or Japanese sounding names I buy and hold are more like for someone wanting to offer something Japanese (sushi place, e.g.) in the West than actually expecting to sell to Japan.

•••

Or,Is there any way for non-native English speakers to have an advantage?

What comes to mind I think is that if a premium domain is owned by a Japanese person, he/she can write emails in natural Japanese.
The same is true when selling.

This is something that anyone can come up with.

Thanks
Certainly! Leveraging your cultural background and language proficiency can indeed provide advantages in domain investment. As a Japanese individual, your ability to communicate fluently in Japanese can be a valuable asset when negotiating deals and connecting with potential buyers or sellers. Your suggestion about utilizing natural Japanese in emails and negotiations is a practical and effective strategy that can set you apart in the domain investment market.

•••
So if .com is taken, they'll just happily take .net and use it and never bother with paying premium.
Yes,Japanese people don't know that .com is valuable.

The Japanese or Japanese sounding names I buy and hold are more like for someone wanting to offer something Japanese (sushi place, e.g.) in the West than actually expecting to sell to Japan.
I agree.
It is best not to think about selling a domain to a Japanese person unless there is a serious need.

•••
A bilingual individual has an advantage. You can register short generic words in Japanese (e.g sushi, umami, hai).

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back