IT.COM

.co Is it still worth renewing .Co domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BigTree

Established Member
Impact
Taking into account the current situation of .Co and so many alternatives (newTLDs) around is it still worth renewing .co domains?

I would be grateful to get replies from people who have some experience with .co.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In my opinion - no it is not worth unless it is really really valuable :)

•••
•••
•••
I think some of the shine has gone from .co domains, but if you have one word common dictionary domains I would probably renew them, but I would think twice about renewing my two word domains. But I might still renew some of them. I believe startups still like them.

•••
I have 4 and renewed them all. A few more years and I may start to drop them but there will be some startups that may not get all the multi million VC funding but just enough to get the domain I have to offer :)

•••
theres a new strong alternative that also fits internationally quite good and is most easy to remember: .link.
I suppose people who dont get the .com/.net will use this one rather than .co - but that just my opinion. Also for SEO since .link is not bound regionally.

•••
This could be said about all the new gTLD's. I think .link doesn't have any particular benefit over the others. .link might be ok for directories, but I don't see it has any benefit when the domain you want is related to consulting or any other relevant gTLD.

•••
I suppose the term "link" has a universal meaning regarding internet. Its a real alternative to .com since people say "send me a link" etc. People just must get used to it. But this should not be to hard. Also the domain sound has something beautiful logical - example "www.notebooks.link" = "link to notebooks".

•••
Carry on dreaming.... I think what you think about .link is marginal at best, rather than as a strong alternative to .com. .web is better than .link for what to ascribe to .link

•••
.web sounds weak and absolutely not so cool than link IMHO. Whats more sexy: jimmy.web or jimmy.link ? web maybe would be good for me since I'm a web-developer, but else... Well, I like .link as an end-user - one of the most easy to remember things if you combine your first name and .link. And about reselling... who knows. There already have been hypes about things like .co, .biz - now I see them dropped. I see very clear that domainers seem not to like the .link thing. But I already was told 1-char domains would not sell too, haha.

•••
I don't like .link beacause its 4 Letter and it should of been .Links and that would of make it 5 Letter long.

Id use .Li not .Link

My favorite alternatives to the. Com.
1.Jimmy.xyz
2.Jimmy.net
3.Jimmy.co
4.Jimmy.me
5.Jimmy.ca (or your cctld)
6.Jimmy.ws
7.Jimmy.im

•••
I could do without the last two, and I would have put .xyz last (after .ca), not first. Using your keyword of Jimmy.

Last edited:
•••
Renewing .co domains worths if you have good domains. Otherwise, not really. But it depends on what you consider as "good" :)

@dotbay how can you put .xyz in your list BEFORE .net ?

•••
Renewing .co domains worths if you have good domains. Otherwise, not really. But it depends on what you consider as "good" :)

@dotbay how can you put .xyz in your list BEFORE .net ?

.net stand for Internet just like .web stand for the web.. .co is good too but it means CO /Benny&Co\ and there's some confusion with his cctld origins.

.xyz is just like .com.
It's not a country code and you can build any website everywhere.

Even .com have a certain meaning.

•••
Renewing .co domains worths if you have good domains. Otherwise, not really.

Huge +1 :) It all depends from the quality of your names.

gl,
Helmuts

•••
.net stand for Internet just like .web stand for the web.. .co is good too but it means CO /Benny&Co\ and there's some confusion with his cctld origins.

.xyz is just like .com.
It's not a country code and you can build any website everywhere.

Even .com have a certain meaning.

Yes, .com stands for "commercial" , .xyz stands for "nothing to say it's just last three letters of the alphabet".

•••
Yes, .com stands for "commercial" , .xyz stands for "nothing to say it's just last three letters of the alphabet".

It makes .xyz original.

•••
It makes .xyz original.

the problem is - that today there are way too many (maybe even "too much") original extensions :D :D

•••
•••
It's the only extension that doesn't mean something. I feel free to do whatever I want.

Last edited:
•••
My favorite alternatives to the. Com.
1.Jimmy.xyz
2.Jimmy.net
3.Jimmy.co
4.Jimmy.me
5.Jimmy.ca (or your cctld)
6.Jimmy.ws
7.Jimmy.im

Being from Canada the list of extensions I'd consider for development is only 2 options long .com or .ca

I'm letting the majority of my .co domains go. They might seem good in theory, but, I've done some experimenting with them and they have some major flaws.

When you write down Jimmy.co people think that you either forgot the 'm' in .com or the little line on the 'a' in .ca

Bad for traffic loss even worse for emails going to other people. I wouldn't consider development of any kind on even the 'best' .co or .xyz, .ws, or .im for that matter.

I have sold some .co in the past and did renew a select few this year that will have low BIN prices (high xxx or very low xxxx). I'll be re-evaluating them again next year.

•••
This list was only about first names.

•••
Is <brandname> . co worth ?

example:
flixster.co
plaxo.co

•••
Not really, "brandable" value is extremely subjective and .co extension would kill any potential.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back