IT.COM

Is it ok to reg Greek or Roman God, King or scholar names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RGP

Established Member
Impact
Is it ok to reg some ancient names of Greek or Roman God, King, ruler, Scholars, soldier. I think many companies uses these ancient names, so I wonder is it legal to hand reg if some names are still available. for example NIKE, EROS, IRIS these are the name of Greek Gods and Goddess.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you can find something avail, go for it. Stay away from blatant TMs ie NikeShoes or posting content on a developed site that infringes, ie selling shoes on a site called NikeWarriors.

•••
yes for sure will take care of that, can we include the name of places as well? I mean ancient places names which are not in use now, but only describe in ancient texts, for example historic sites. forget to add that so I asking now.
Thanks for your info

•••
@memaniacs .. you're asking the wrong question. The answer is different for each name. To know which names you can or can't use in domains really depends on the specific names and if and how they relate to active trademarks (registered or not registered).

Before registering ANY domain you really need to learn about trademarks.

Most of the time you should be ok using old "legend type" names .. but not always.

For the most part trademarks are USAGE based .. meaning that if someone is using the name in a certain type of active business, then you are NOT allowed to use the name in a similar business.

For example "Venus" is a brand used in the shaving industry .. which means that you can't use "Venus" in a similar business (generally within the same "Trademark Class")
https://www.legalzoom.com/knowledge/trademark/glossary/trademark-class-classification

Last edited:
•••
Ok, so we need to do research before registering any name.I will check the link also
Thank you for the information

•••
Is it ok to reg some ancient names of Greek or Roman God, King, ruler, Scholars, soldier. I think many companies uses these ancient names, so I wonder is it legal to hand reg if some names are still available. for example NIKE, EROS, IRIS these are the name of Greek Gods and Goddess.

While Ategy's advice is sound, it also depends on how much of a risktaker and gangster you are. I imagine most companies would rather just buy the domain off you if your asking price is far below their cost of legal action.

•••
While Ategy's advice is sound, it also depends on how much of a risktaker and gangster you are. I imagine most companies would rather just buy the domain off you if your asking price is far below their cost of legal action.

Doing something illegal is never justified by logic stating that it'd be too costly for the injured party to pursue a claim. What's wrong is wrong, Ategy's advice is sound please stick with it.

•••
Doing something illegal is never justified by logic stating that it'd be too costly for the injured party to pursue a claim. What's wrong is wrong, Ategy's advice is sound please stick with it.

Exactly because there are companies that will look to make an example, especially if they go the ACPA route, they get the name, $100,000 and legal fees.

•••

There are none of those names in .com available as just the sole name, you might add a suffix or prefix but EROS and IRIS and Axius, etc.. were gone a long time ago, there are people here with $5,000 to $10,000 budgets per name in Domains Wanted Threads.

•••

Firstly, I never suggested that he does anything illegal. Secondly, what is 'wrong' is based on belief systems (which is very subjective) and what is illegal is based on the law. They are two completely different concepts. Without getting into a lengthy debate on the disparity between the two concepts, history has proven in many instances that what was deemed to be the law was not always founded on sound moral grounds. Take what Hilter did to the Jews for instance.

The fact that a particular action has been marked unlawful doesn't automatically make it wrong. The reverse is also true.

•••
Smh... Godwin's law strikes again

•••
Smh... Godwin's law strikes again
That was purely for your entertainment benefit. Perhaps a reference to the lawful yet merciless enslavement of Africans in America for over 400 years and the brutal yet lawful massacre of Native Americans by European settlers would have been a more appropriate rebuttal to get you off your moral high-horse, yes? :xf.grin:

Educate yourself on the modus operandi of big bullies and how 'gangsters' raise arms against them. https://domainnamewire.com/2019/04/23/tabloid-the-sun-tried-to-buy-thesun-com-for-600000/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back