Domain Empire

Is it fare idea to invest in .co.uk domains? How good is UK market is going on?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Abhikrishna

Established Member
Impact
Is it a good move to invest in .co.uk domains? How's the UK market? Where can I get daily .co.uk sales?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
Can I add my domains in their auction marketplace?

•••
I highly recommend you read their Auction Rules page - it explains it all.

•••
Please leave the .co.uks for me :))

I live in the UK so I am a bit biased for obvious reasons. They're dear to my heart and they're useful to me.

I tend to buy ones that I think present a development opportunity or that are short.

I always wanted to own a three letter .co.uk after I owned LLL.co.uk and let it go for a measly £2k years ago. What a mistake. I've bought a few 3 letter .co.uks since but I haven't managed to sell any of them yet.

•••
The Brits couldn't give a rats ass about domains, they are littered with horrible extensions. .co.uk is the leader but then there is .uk, me.uk, org.uk, uk.com, uk.net

There is no more perceived credibility in society given to a better domain like in the U.S and elsewhere (in my opinion )

Brits are cheap when it comes to domains and most can just hand register a junk domain in any of the extensions listed and get to business without any real handicap.

•••
There is a market for good co.uk names, might not be as fertile as .com but I do think there is some profit to be made.

•••
The Brits couldn't give a rats ass about domains, they are littered with horrible extensions. .co.uk is the leader but then there is .uk, me.uk, org.uk, uk.com, uk.net

There is no more perceived credibility in society given to a better domain like in the U.S and elsewhere (in my opinion )

Brits are cheap when it comes to domains and most can just hand register a junk domain in any of the extensions listed and get to business without any real handicap.
I think this is true for most places on Earth. No one really cares about domains, especially small businesses because they see it as something functional... until they need it that is. However, any sized business in the UK, that is serious, cares about .COM and .CO.UK in my opinion.

I'm not sure that the UK is littered with horrible extensions anymore than anywhere else either... they may well exist but most people use .co.uk and charities tend to use .org.uk - they're a good fit, but .org.uk is no good for investment purposes. The .me.uk is a dead extension and .uk.com and .uk.net aren't official UK domain extensions they're just dirty CentralNic 2nd level TLDs. I don't see many people/companies using .uk.com or .uk.net and nor should they after they went and shut down a bunch of them recently (ar.com, .gb.com, .hu.com, .kr.com, .gc.com, .no.com, .se.com, and .uy.com) and just told people that they could no longer renew them. I don't consider these as extensions and they're certainly not prevalent in the UK.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:.co.uk - .co.uk ~1 billion results
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:.org.uk .org.uk 88 million results
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:.me.uk .me.uk 1 million results
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:.uk.com .uk.com 3 million results
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:.uk.net .uk.net 240k results

Last edited:
•••
I bought Ukhousing.co.uk recently! How good is the domain?

•••
What could be the end user value of this Domain? Can anyone tell me?

•••
they are littered with horrible extensions. .co.uk is the leader but then there is .uk, me.uk, org.uk, uk.com, uk.net
Not only those. I sold one .gb.com a few years ago for high XXX.

•••
Unless you have super premium, i wouldn't bother, waste of money.

•••
So ukhousing is a 0 value domain?

•••
Not only those. I sold one .gb.com a few years ago for high XXX.
Yup, .gb.com doesn't exist anymore. Good job you got it sold.

•••

I'm not a fan of any .co.uk domains that contain UK in the name. The UK can be inferred from the extension itself.

•••
Not a single "Housing" related name have sold so far .co.uk

But

I can see 32 sell which include term "House". I may self sold a .co.uk name which include house.

So I don't think your name has any value.

•••
Sure there's a market for .co.uk - our UK sales have out performed our .com sales this year. So much so, I'm shifting more focus towards the UK market next year.

•••
I have hairgrowth (dotcodotuk)

•••
Sure there's a market for .co.uk - our UK sales have out performed our .com sales this year. So much so, I'm shifting more focus towards the UK market next year.
Ah, yes, next year is a different kettle of fish. (y)

•••
Like any market, you need to be familiar with the peculiarities of the UK selling scene. I enjoy both dealing and reading about the sales on a daily basis.
Obvious mistakes overseas domain buyers make are using the US spelling for words. Brits wont touch them purely because we don't use American-English spelling anywhere the English spelling prevails. Brits don't tend to like anything with too much pzazz in it's wording. Keep the domain wording very appropriate. My best sales have always been by offering a shorter more concise version, or better word-art of what ever the business was previously using. if it is purely a business selling to the UK market (no overseas business) then we do value the .co.uk above anything including the .com.

don't forget the shorter dot uk launches next year, it is not proving popular with most of those that have this top level on reserve until late next summer (the current.co.uk holders) Once they all release there will be fireworks

Last edited:
•••
Spend the extra money and time and invest in .COM

There are 7 billion buyers for .COM and a few million for .UK

•••
Yes we are large investors in the co.uk market having sold thousands we hold lots of high quality domains but we are also large investors in .com your find it hard to find a decent co.uk unless you drop catch like we do and catch some very nice names :)

•••
Spend the extra money and time and invest in .COM

There are 7 billion buyers for .COM and a few million for .UK

True but its good to have a mix we sell far more co.uk but we know what sells

•••
Like any market, you need to be familiar with the peculiarities of the UK selling scene. I enjoy both dealing and reading about the sales on a daily basis.
Obvious mistakes overseas domain buyers make are using the US spelling for words. Brits wont touch them purely because we don't use American-English spelling anywhere the English spelling prevails. Brits don't tend to like anything with too much pzazz in it's wording. Keep the domain wording very appropriate. My best sales have always been by offering a shorter more concise version, or better word-art of what ever the business was previously using. if it is purely a business selling to the UK market (no overseas business) then we do value the .co.uk above anything including the .com.

don't forget the shorter dot uk launches next year, it is not proving popular with most of those that have this top level on reserve until late next summer (the current.co.uk holders) Once they all release there will be fireworks

Hi Bailey hope your well.

.UK will launch but most people just want the co.uk we sell loads and no one wants the .UK good to have the pair but stick with co.uk for now.

•••
I have

Cardiffcafe.co.uk
Ukhousing.co.uk
Sportscart.co.uk

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back