NameSilo

Which one is better? .co.uk or .uk?

Labeled as .uk in ccTLD Discussion started by Soofi, Feb 15, 2017.

Replies:
Views:

1. Brandon.Domains

Brandon.Domains Successful Internet Entrepreneur Since 1998

You should get both. If you have a .co.uk domain, you are eligible to get the .uk equivalent until 2019 I believe.

.co.uk is probably better at the moment because it's been in use for so long. But ultimately, people will start using .uk as they see it more often and get used to it. It's simply shorter and looks a whole lot better.

Thanks,
    Brandon

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. D Haynes

D Haynes Top Member VIP

.co.uk is currently the most popular by far. When the restrictions end, the values of both domains will likely drop if they are not being sold as a pair as is already the case now to a lesser extent. That's my opinion. Anyway.

3. Soofi

Soofi DomainX™ PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

more opinion guys?

4. hugegrowth

hugegrowth DomainMedia.ca VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I think .uk has a future after 2019.

5. Soofi

Soofi DomainX™ PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

And why do you think so?

6. LoreMaster117

LoreMaster117 New Member

If the .co.uk is older than the .uk, you can put in a claim and take the domain. Great for domainname hacks (like big.tr.uk) to own the .co.uk first and make claim later.

7. carob

carob Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

If you register a .co.uk today it does not give you rights to the .uk.

So if you want to sell it you probably need to register both. And the registration fee has gone up by 50% making this extension cost as much as com while having less than 1/6 of the pool of customers to sell to. So a name has to be really good to justify owning it for re-sale.

I have a few I registered before the cutoff in 2014 that I keep, not that interested in new ones.

8. jerryperes

jerryperes Established Member

Choosing a domain name extension could be difficult task for a beginner. You can choose anyone from .co.uk and .uk, because both are country based domain extension. Both are telling your potential customers that you are based in UK.

9. 420domainer

420domainer Top Member VIP

Shall we revisit this topic from two years past now that the we are in the future and .uk has been released to the public?
    I’m curious if people have changed their mind as to which will be more popular in 2 more years.
    It’s still too early to gauge any new trends since the public release, of course, but what do you think will happen now that there will be many more .uk domains visible to the public?

10. wizard

wizard Domain Wizard PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

co.uk is still the best and will be for a long time

11. 420domainer

420domainer Top Member VIP

@wizard So the 5000 UK sales you refer to in your sig are .co.uk sales? Sounds like you would know which is more popular. Or is that referring to something else.
    Just curious.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  12. wizard

wizard Domain Wizard PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Yes co.uk we sell loads of .uk only around 1% people don't want them

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!