NameSilo

Are .uk domains any good?

Labeled as question in Domain Extensions, started by Sarthak Dhonchak, Mar 8, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. Sarthak Dhonchak

Sarthak Dhonchak Established Member

I'm a newbie in buying/selling domains, I have seen a lot of .co.uk domain, but not .uk domains.
    I have eyes on a few 1 and 2 word .uk domains, are they worth it?
    How easy would a 1 word .uk domain be to sell?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. lock

lock DomainUsed.com VIP

I think they are under rated right now but all cc domains will mean more eventually dot co.uk is dominant but I really wanted to invest a while back but do not qualify.

3. MadAboutDomains

MadAboutDomains Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I see quite a few .UK names as I travel up and down the country.

However as lock mentioned .co.uk is the dominant force.

Some people will tell you that .UK are on the scrap heap but I honestly don't believe that. There are plenty of decent sales of them on domainlore and I've sold a few privately since picking them up in June last year.

4. wizard

wizard Domain Wizard PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

.UK domains are good if you have the right domain we own thousands best for long term holds

5. Erwin

Erwin Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I guess this answer depends on whether there has been an uptake in visible branding ad campaigns across the country (billboards/magazines) etc

6. Jo A

Jo A Established Member

I own quite a few .uk's and recently the co.uk's have been dropped so i've been able to get them too. I've seen quite a few .uk in ads etc

7. passini

passini Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I am Italian but stuck in London for the last 3 months because of love and the lockdown... Anyway I can tell you that I have never seen one .uk domain. Not one! I have seen a lot of keyword1-keyword2.co.uk when probably the .uk was available without the hyphen. They just don't use the .uk, I have seen more .com respect the past. I will stay far away from two words .uk domains, maybe one word strong keyword .uk, but is not easy to get them and still I am not sure. Here don't like changes! You can still find the phone boxes around the city, just to make an example. Disclaimer: I love London and I've been spending part of the year here for the last 20 years, only in central London, I can't speak for the rest of the UK...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  8. jim h

jim h Upgraded Member Gold Account

The market is not big, forgive my frankness.

9. Jo A

Jo A Established Member

I agree the market for resale is not that good but for development ( taregtting the uk ) they are fine I'd far rather own usedcars .uk than any other extension other than .com or .co.uk

10. Jo A

Jo A Established Member

I'm going to start photographing them in the wild as soon as lockdown ends.

11. Amar D

Amar D Established Member

Got "incognito" uk - we will see :D

12. wizard

wizard Domain Wizard PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

the market is fine for co.uk far more enquires than my .com at the moment but i do own some of the best 😀

13. MadAboutDomains

Is it me or is DL packed with complete dross as of late?

14. Erwin

Erwin Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Cool.. I’d be interested in seeing them 👍

15. Akinola Taiwo

Akinola Taiwo Established Member

Where do you sell your .uk and. Co.uk?

Thanks

16. MadAboutDomains

Domainlore and flip are two big auction sites

17. Gartnet

Gartnet Account Closed (Disallowed)

It depends on the quality, I am seeing more developed .UK domain names, however I believe most people aren't aware of .UK and automatically type in .co.uk as this is the ccdld they know... There will be more that get developed out and the brand awareness for .UK will grow but still small.

Anyone who owned a .co.uk, Got the offer to grandfather the .UK domain name, I have a few myself that I kept but being honest dropped most .UK as they got zero type in traffic vs the .co.uk sites.

18. chenzen

chenzen Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

There was a time when .co.in was default extension for India specific sites thanks to developed sites like yahoo.co.in/google.co.in etc. Nowadays it's mostly .in because people started using .in for their businesses. When enough businesses start developing their .uk domains, it will be the preferred extension for uk users because .uk will be always shorter than .co.uk.

19. MadAboutDomains

Yup I've seen a lot of .uk names going for cheap. There are a few gems out there though I'm sure of that that would probably do well if developed properly. It was a fun ride though during the hype though :xf.smile:.

20. Gartnet

Gartnet Account Closed (Disallowed)

Yes potentially, I can see this but would be a number of years until this happens...

21. MadAboutDomains

Interesting to hear. Did people pour scorn on the .in version when it was first released? I notice that Google.in redirects to Google.co.in.

I've just realised that .co.in is a nice hack for "coin" the obsession of domainers far and wide.

22. chenzen

chenzen Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

People were simply not aware of .in domains. But it changed about a decade back.

23. lock

lock DomainUsed.com VIP

There will be industries that target geo and dot uk will outlast a lot of others.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice