IT.COM

question I have got a popular domain, but its realted to the uk, so which TLD i should buy ? .co.uk? .com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Abhikrishna

Established Member
Impact
please respond!

i hvae came up with a super brandable domain in where the targeted country is UK , all the extensions are available, which one i should buy? .com? co.uk? uk.com?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
personally would get the com and the co.uk - don't touch uk.com we don't use it in the uk

•••
personally would get the com and the co.uk - don't touch uk.com we don't use it in the uk

ok, if i book .com and the buyer may go with .co.uk right? its a good domain, though!

•••
•••
all of them, apart from uk.com

•••
ok, if i book .com and the buyer may go with .co.uk right? its a good domain, though!
If you own the preferred UK domain - co.uk and there is chance for a business to expand into different markets they would then be covered with the .com - you can sell them as a package.

•••
Can I buy the .co.uk extension from India, please don't mind real new bee in Domaining!

•••
•••
The reason is once I bought .uk.com from namebright and it troubled me alot, and unfortunately namebright forced me to add UK based details and address!

•••
The reason is once I bought .uk.com from namebright and it troubled me alot, and unfortunately namebright forced me to add UK based details and address!
ok - maybe someone with more experience can answer this or you can search online

•••
My belief is that you can register the .co.uk domain without being a UK resident but not the .uk domain.

.co.uk is widely used in the UK but so is .com so therefore I would suggest you register both as if you only register 1 of them, the potential end user will probably just register the other.

•••
My belief is that you can register the .co.uk domain without being a UK resident but not the .uk domain.

.co.uk is widely used in the UK but so is .com so therefore I would suggest you register both as if you only register 1 of them, the potential end user will probably just register the other.
Don't mind, in UK, have you ever seen any .net domains? If yes, then I'll book all the gtld and cctld

•••
Don't mind, in UK, have you ever seen any .net domains? If yes, then I'll book all the gtld and cctld
not really popular here - stick to the com and co.uk for now as they are the most popular

•••
Buy all 3. I bought a .co.uk together with its .uk equivalent last week from Dynadot and there were no issues whatsoever.

I was initially worried about the UK address requirement for .uk since I reside in Nigeria. But on contacting Dynadot, I was assured that Nominet had lifted that restriction back in May. So yes, you can buy a .uk without a UK address as long as you own the .co.uk of the name

•••
Can I buy the .co.uk extension from India, please don't mind real new bee in Domaining!
Yes you can. You can buy it from GoDaddy or even Names.co.uk.

•••
Buy all 3. I bought a .co.uk together with its .uk equivalent last week from Dynadot and there were no issues whatsoever.

I was initially worried about the UK address requirement for .uk since I reside in Nigeria. But on contacting Dynadot, I was assured that Nominet had lifted that restriction back in May. So yes, you can buy a .uk without a UK address as long as you own the .co.uk of the name
Is this true?

•••
•••
We can also confirm it is true, there is no longer a residency requirement for .UK domains. I believe this change was made around the same time GDPR came into effect.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back