Dynadot

Is any dictionary word .com valuable?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

clockhand

Impact
Newb is wondering if .com domains that are dictionary words but not top value words (like "business"), more like "assessment" and "requisition" and stuff like that are worth anything. And by anything I mean more than $50.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In the past I hand registered Octanes, Peerages, and Sainted all .coms which sold individually for a total of $1223

So yes, I would say that dictionary words have a value greater than $50

Regards

Ralph.

•••
:talk:

being a dictionary word, does not guarantee value.

there must be a usage model for it, preferably one of commercial nature, in order to capitalize on it's potential.

it's why you will still find words in the dictionary, that are available to register.

imo...

•••
unpainstakingly.com is available for registration, because it's not worth anything: there is no clear use for that type of domain.

•••
There are different degrees of value in dictionary word.

They go from 0 to x.xxx.xxx but it all comes down to the possible uses of it, its brandability, searches etc.

So as Sdsinc said no use = no value!

•••
There are still many dictionary words still available like the one sdsinc mentioned. Most are long words, and gets probably zero searches a month. Since visitors don't search for them and it's not memorable or easy to spell to even type in the address bar. So useless overall.

•••
Not without any commercial value

If you want to hand-reg a strange dictionary word and sell for xx to a domainer then at least its a profit, but you wont make any decent money unless it has a good use

You would be better off getting a 2-word names that have some use

•••
I own a dictionary word that I had registered years ago for a hobby I enjoy. Is it worth something? Absolutely! It's worth so much to me! Have I had any offers on it or anyone even ask about buying it? Absolutely not!

This is such a broad question that it's hard to answer. As others have stated, a dictionary word could be worthless or full of wealth. More information is needed about the word such as number of letters, usage, context, tense, singular vs. plural, etc.

•••
Thanks for all your input.
I am sitting on a handful of domains but, unfortunately, none of them seems to be worth a can of catfood, but at least I was saved from buying a dictionary domain with no clear use.

•••
Thanks for all your input.
I am sitting on a handful of domains but after asking around like this, unfortunately, none of them seems to be worth a can of catfood.

list them everywhere u can
build a site on one of them around the domain, can cost a few hundred but make the dictionary word domain worth lots of money vs if u did same thing on a longer non dictionary word

•••
list them everywhere u can
build a site on one of them around the domain, can cost a few hundred but make the dictionary word domain worth lots of money vs if u did same thing on a longer non dictionary word

Thanks, that's good advice, however, I can't develop a site to save my life which is why I'm looking into selling domains. :P

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back