Dynadot

.info .info & trademark

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello, can You please advice on such question:

There's some mid-size company xxx. It has xxx.com and xxx.org domains (xxx.info and xxx.net are belongs to some other persons and there's nothing there).
I would like to buy xxx.info and start there a blog about products of this company.

But! the xxx - is a registered trademark. The question is - can they take away xxx.info from me (by court decision)?

Details:
- xxx.info domain was registered before trademark (a couple of month).
- there are about 4 exactly the same trademarks 'xxx' registered for different companies, by the way how that's possible? (I used this tool for search http://tess2.uspto.gov).

So, technically, taking into account that xxx.info has been registered by someone before the trademark means that it have precedence over trademark.
So, if I'll for example buy it and start blog about pets - it'll be legal. But, what if I'll start there a blog about products of this company - this means that domain name is used in a way directly correlated with trademark, is it legal?
What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would like to buy xxx.info and start there a blog about products of this company.

You need obtain the company's [ideally written] permission.

The dates don't really matter because the company can argue you are causing confusion by owning a site with an exact match to their mark [in exact matches extensions don't count] or if you are making money [adverts or links to products] then you are benefiting from the famousness of their mark.

If they take you court rather than UDRP it could get VERY expensive if you are benefiting from their mark.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back