Dynadot

.INFO, 1 million regged, 400k live sites, 33% German

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

aww

Established Member
Impact
I found an interesting press release that talks about the upcoming ability for .INFO to have non-english characters starting on March 16th, which is interesting in itself, but check out these statistics:

Registrations in .INFO first became available in 2001. Since then, .INFO has grown to become the sixth largest TLD in the world with well over 1 million registrations. 52 percent of .INFO's registrations are based in Europe and 39 percent in North America. Over 70 percent of .INFO's registrations are being used on the Web either for dedicated Web sites, redirects to other Web sites, parked pages, password protected pages, etcetera. .INFO currently contains over 400,000 live sites, of which 33 percent are operated by German registrants.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Wow, it's amazing how a longer extension than all the rest is soaring high into the rankings as the sixth largest TLD.

•••
Very interesting. Thanks.

•••
Yeah, those germans love their .info's!!!

•••
Originally posted by Anthony
Yeah, those germans love their .info's!!!

I believe I read recently that .de, the german TLD, also had either the first or second most registrations than any ccTLD. Germany is basically a very strong internet oriented country. Or at least in ownership of domain names.

•••
•••
Originally posted by AdoptableDomains
I believe I read recently that .de, the German TLD, also had either the first or second most registrations than any ccTLD. Germany is basically a very strong internet oriented country. Or at least in ownership of domain names.

.DE is not only the most popular country code in the world it is the 2nd most popular extension in the world period (behind only .com). With over 6 Million regs it has almost as many as .net and .org combined! Germany is also the first country to start widely adopting .info and .biz. I have made several very nice new extension sales to German buyers. They are definitely internet trailblazers!

Last edited:
•••
interesting
thanks for posting it :)

•••
Originally posted by Duke
I have made several very nice new extension sales to German buyers. They are definitely internet trailblazers!

I thought the .biz extension doesn't translate well into German. I wonder how .biz can be popular in Germany, then?

•••
Originally posted by armstrong
I thought the .biz extension doesn't translate well into German. I wonder how .biz can be popular in Germany, then?

Popular probably isn't the right word at this early stage, but of the .biz sales that are taking place I see the big ones happening more in Germany that anywhere else. The latest one being Reifen.biz for $6800 last week (means "tires" in German). I sold one last month to Deutsche Telekom for 4 figures. An extension doesn't have to translate into anything (.com being a prime example), though I do think it helps. Proably a major reason why .info has jumped to the top of the new extension pack.

•••
I guess Germans just love the Internet the most in Europe!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back