Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

buyresaledomains

Established Member
Impact
What does that do to this biz? Does it make the .com even that much better? Or obsolete? As of now extensions have no bearing on search results. But what happens when a domain is "kendras.daycare". Will it impact Serps then?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When I say demand, I'm talking about somebody that would want them to put up an actual site, start a business etc. Not domainers parking them. That demand I'm talking about is what brings value to an extension. 250,000+ regs of .pw, mostly from domainers, it's still a crap extension.

yes and they're sitting available for people in that particular business to use. thats supposed to be the point.

the idea of an entire extension having value (aside from .com and relevant country codes) disappears when the words are just separated by a dot. what i mean is just because you see a few .nyc sales after landrush doesnt mean you'll be able to predict that trend will continue or that .nyc is "hot"...

like how today people see thisonedomain.com sell for 80k and they go register thisonedomain.NET and think its worth "something."

the only critical mass new gTLD need to worry about is staying above water financially. if they go broke - that 185k fee is gone and some other registry will gobble them up for 2 dollars. :D

wont be any trouble for a registry already handling multiple TLD's to grab another one for pennies.

Last edited:
•••
toy-store.com > toy.store

Instead of getting keyword + tld, Why not just put a hyphen in between and get a .com instead?

Anyone have any research done on how people are more or less likely to click on alt tld links in search engines? I've actually pre-regged an exact tld for my ecommerce biz and I'll do some split testing to see which domain has higher ctr and cpa. I get 20k clicks a month so it won't take too long.

My current website is something like xyzstore.com, so I regged xyz.store. I'll probably post the results here.

•••
toy-store.com > toy.store

Instead of getting keyword + tld, Why not just put a hyphen in between and get a .com instead?

i could flip the question around and say why would you want that extra silly .com ending?

i know why today - but entering into a 1,000+ TLD world is going to be different.

replaced said:
Anyone have any research done on how people are more or less likely to click on alt tld links in search engines? I've actually pre-regged an exact tld for my ecommerce biz and I'll do some split testing to see which domain has higher ctr and cpa. I get 20k clicks a month so it won't take too long.

My current website is something like xyzstore.com, so I regged xyz.store. I'll probably post the results here.

you havnt pre-registered anything, nobody has yet.

the 1and1 pre-registrations arnt really pre-registrations. its an expression of interest. you're guaranteed nothing.

•••
"do you have any idea what kind of good quality keywords are available in .travel right now? a ton of generics, a ton of descriptive stuff... entire cities with large populations.. "

Which goes to a previous point I made. There is no real market for these.
Actually .TRAVEL is a sponsored TLD and is restricted to travel agents and tourism companies.That means that unless domainers are travel agents or in the business, they cannot register domains in that sTLD. There are vast differences between open gTLDs and managed TLDs where entitlement has to be proven before registration. The growth curve of managed TLDs is flatter and they often are more expensive than the average .COM or .INFO domain.

Regards...jmcc

•••
.com is like removing the dot.
facebook? Or Facebook.website sounds better?

Go on supper website go on supper dot website?

•••
Actually .TRAVEL is a sponsored TLD and is restricted to travel agents and tourism companies.That means that unless domainers are travel agents or in the business, they cannot register domains in that sTLD. There are vast differences between open gTLDs and managed TLDs where entitlement has to be proven before registration. The growth curve of managed TLDs is flatter and they often are more expensive than the average .COM or .INFO domain.

Regards...jmcc

You are 100% correct. I had a good laugh at the thought that any self-proclaimed expert had to be reminded of that fact. So much for self-proclaimed experts in this forum.

•••
You are 100% correct. I had a good laugh at the thought that any self-proclaimed expert had to be reminded of that fact. So much for self-proclaimed experts in this forum.

Uh, I actually did know that, mjnels first posted that, I was just responding to it. There still wouldn't be that great of demand for it. Even a sponsored TLD should have the great keywords being used. As far as self-proclaimed expert, don't know who that was for but I've never seen mjnels post it or myself but if it's something you feel inside, thanks. You're still one of the more paranoid/borderline libel people posting here. This from somebody that actually said a few days ago, that in regards to people looking at these new extensions, .mobi might be a winner since it's "available now" and "functional". .mobi
8td9.gif

Last edited:
•••
Uh, I actually did know that[/QUOTE

That makes your statements about .travel even more baffling.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

This from somebody that actually said a few days ago, that in regards to people looking at these new extensions, .mobi might be a winner since it's "available now" and "functional". .mobi
8td9.gif

I'm flattered you feel the need to follow my writings. And so far, .mobi is a winner compared to the thousands of TLDs that don't exist yet. It's in the root, and the registry is making money. I don't think .web or .nyc are in the root yet, but I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong there. By the way, you DO know what the "root" is, right?

•••
What statement about .travel do you find baffling?

"There is no real market for these."

That's what I think.

That I thought good keywords would be snapped up? I would think that regardless of it was open to the general public or not. Obviously if it was, there would be more regs. You were probably just reading my post a little wrong and skipped over everything else I posted in the thread to focus on it.

I don't follow your writings, I just checked out your recent posts. That you think .mobi is going to increase in value because of new extensions is what's baffling. Let .mobi go, move on, learn from it.

Last edited:
•••
What statement about .travel do you find baffling?

That's what I think.

That I thought good keywords would be snapped up? I would think that regardless of it was open to the general public or not. Obviously if it was, there would be more regs. You were probably just reading my post a little wrong and skipped over everything else I posted in the thread to focus on it.

I don't follow your writings, I just checked out your recent posts. That you think .mobi is going to increase in value because of new extensions is what's baffling. Let .mobi go, move on, learn from it.

I never said that I think .mobi is going to increase in value after 2008. As a matter of record is DID increase tremendously in value between Sept 2006 and 2008. But again you may correct me and point to my recent post where I said .mobi will increase in value. What? That post doesn't exist? Well, mercy me!

•••
I didn't say anything about 2008. Maybe I'm reading one of your posts wrong, just like you did mine. What did you mean with this:

"Such a gamble, but there will probably be a couple of winners somewhere in the mix. In fact, with the current "pre-registration" hype, anyone trying for an alternative name now will only find that .us, .info, .biz, .mobi, etc. are actually available now and functional."

.mobi being available functional. I read that as you thinking that would be a good thing for .mobi?

http://www.namepros.com/4552170-post11.html

•••
I didn't say anything about 2008. Maybe I'm reading one of your posts wrong, just like you did mine. What did you mean with this:

"Such a gamble, but there will probably be a couple of winners somewhere in the mix. In fact, with the current "pre-registration" hype, anyone trying for an alternative name now will only find that .us, .info, .biz, .mobi, etc. are actually available now and functional."

.mobi being available functional. I read that as you thinking that would be a good thing for .mobi?

http://www.namepros.com/4552170-post11.html

Well, when clueless viewers of the 1 and 1 commercial actually try to register a .web or other yet-to-be approved name and find out that .web isn't even available yet except for fantasy "pre-registration" status, then perhaps in close proximity will be a list of names which ARE viable NOW, such as .biz, .info, .mobi, etc. Then a new customer could pick up a good real registration of a .mobi name, perhaps one of the names I let drop do to my lack of faith in the extension. What? You didn't know that I let most of my .mobi names drop a while back and the remaining few recently? That could possibly be an inconvenient truth for you.

•••
If you're telling the truth, congrats.

Last edited:
•••
i like this thread cause it still has all the original insulting tags towards me and we cant create anymore tags..

i wonder if this thread will live on and become a 200 page thread so we can read it from 2013-2016 or something..

•••
That's the simple answer (and it is right to an extent). The more complex answer is that the market for .TRAVEL domains moved away to ccTLDs (and .COM). In the mid 2000s there was a shift from the generic .COM to more localised ccTLD domains and businesses began to use their local ccTLDs more than the .COM (other than the US where .COM is the de facto US ccTLD) as their primary brands. The same thing happened with .PRO. The rise of the ccTLDs really hit the smaller gTLDs and the sTLDs. The danger of looking at TLDs from a domaining point of view is that it misses the bigger picture. Development and usage in a TLD is a far more important metric than registration volume. The numbers of registered domains for a TLD might look good (.CO ccTLD would be a good example) but unless there is widespread development and usage then the only ones making money are the registry, the registrars and the registry's buddies who got the high value keyword domains before the TLD was opened to the ordinary registrant or domainer. Unfortunately a lot of the new gTLDs will end up like that.

Regards...jmcc

•••
That's the simple answer (and it is right to an extent). The more complex answer is that the market for .TRAVEL domains moved away to ccTLDs (and .COM). In the mid 2000s there was a shift from the generic .COM to more localised ccTLD domains and businesses began to use their local ccTLDs more than the .COM (other than the US where .COM is the de facto US ccTLD) as their primary brands. The same thing happened with .PRO. The rise of the ccTLDs really hit the smaller gTLDs and the sTLDs. The danger of looking at TLDs from a domaining point of view is that it misses the bigger picture. Development and usage in a TLD is a far more important metric than registration volume. The numbers of registered domains for a TLD might look good (.CO ccTLD would be a good example) but unless there is widespread development and usage then the only ones making money are the registry, the registrars and the registry's buddies who got the high value keyword domains before the TLD was opened to the ordinary registrant or domainer. Unfortunately a lot of the new gTLDs will end up like that.

Regards...jmcc

Agree with development and usage, it's one of the points I always brings up when talking about this topic:

"It's very simple, in order for any of them to catch on, there needs to be development where people will actually see them, on a live, quality site."

"What you just posted already exists is some other extensions, but I couldn't tell you even 1 site with any of them because there wasn't enough quality development to even warrant 1 bookmark from me."

Last edited:
•••
Guys godaddy has a list of them up now:

http://ca.godaddy.com/tlds/gtld.aspx

.web, .box, .blue, .hot, .pin, .talk, .red and lots more interesting ones. Interesting from an end user's PoV not a domainer's. Some of these might be fun to own. Like linux.win for example :)

Others are a bit of a train wreck. Like .zip and .mov. I can imagine those would lead to a lot of malware infections and confuse users.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
It will be a great mess. COM will benefit!

•••
.WS .Travel .JOBS .PRO .BIZ .NAME .TEL .MOBI

Sounds familiar?

Its just another 1K of Craps :P

why can't we just not register names like:
.dotbay .namepros instead of dotbay.net namepros.com

DotLess? Dot in Front is cool! haha

•••
from today's Domaining.com Sponsored headlines section of their daily email:

>>>

Sell your no premium dot com before they lost most of their value and buying interest vanish...

With new gTLDs coming people should prefer to register a catchy brand.gtld or dictionary.gtld for a dozen of dollars better then buy a nopremium.com for thousands dollars.
So don't be an idiot, try to resell while there are still some morons buying.

Cax.com

<<<

..Cax is extremely cool. What a language, what a passion...
I must admit i'm both an idiot and a moron according to their classification

PS Headline link leads to "LIST YOUR DOMAINS FOR SALE" page at cax.com

•••
from today's Domaining.com Sponsored headlines section of their daily email:

>>>

Sell your no premium dot com before they lost most of their value and buying interest vanish...

With new gTLDs coming people should prefer to register a catchy brand.gtld or dictionary.gtld for a dozen of dollars better then buy a nopremium.com for thousands dollars.
So don't be an idiot, try to resell while there are still some morons buying.

Cax.com

<<<

..Cax is extremely cool. What a language, what a passion...
I must admit i'm both an idiot and a moron according to their classification

PS Headline link leads to "LIST YOUR DOMAINS FOR SALE" page at cax.com

I haven't sold my domains because of .info .mobi and .travel. Not even the .CO.

All Premiums .Whatever that will be purchased by investor then drop in the next 5 years.

I bought some High Value .so's for cheap and sold them for 30$ and most of them were dropped.

I'll keep my money. Too many extensions means low sales.

would you invest on .WS and .Mobi?

I think the answer is no.

Mo

•••
897 New gTLDs Coming Soon to Godaddy's Site

Didn't they learn anything from the .name fiasco?

Last edited:
•••
Look at the Godaddy tlds available for pre-reg OMG

.build is $99.99 /yr and .luxury is $799.99 /yr (!)

Even so, there are a few domains that seem to be decent, if you can actually get them. It all comes down to what the CTR will be from the general public on organic and paid listings with these alternate TLDs. If a metric is higher than .com like CTR or conversions, then obviously people will start to snatch these domains because it'll make them more money. Still waiting for case studies on this.

I've already seen a report that .com had much better CTR than .info and slightly better than .co.uk in a paid split test. We'll have to see what happens when the tld matches the website category.

•••
I think in the Rick-Frank debate someone mentioned these new gTLDs are for the future generations of internet users ;)

So you may not live long enough to see if they are successful. :lol:

•••
The preregistration prices are beginning quite high as I see.
Registrars who give preregistationpossibility, WITH immediate payment at preregistration, will earn a lot of money simply on the intrest they will earn between the preregistration, and the actual registration.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Look at the Godaddy tlds available for pre-reg OMG

.build is $99.99 /yr and .luxury is $799.99 /yr (!)

==> The link is hilarious They write "AS LOW AS" $799.99 /yr and the "Priority preregistration" (an invention of them) is even "As low as" $1,199.99*/yr :blink:

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back