Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

buyresaledomains

Established Member
Impact
What does that do to this biz? Does it make the .com even that much better? Or obsolete? As of now extensions have no bearing on search results. But what happens when a domain is "kendras.daycare". Will it impact Serps then?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Most experienced domain investors -- not all but probably most -- would agree with much of what sdsinc is ssaying. The safest bets for investors are .COM and the established ccTLDs.

Most of my sales during February were .COMs. One was actually a .XXX sale for $x,xxx. There were some ccTLDs, .NETs, and .ORGs also.

I think that will remain the balance for the foreseeable future -- mostly .COM, followed by ccTLDs and some good .ORG / .NETs, with a smattering of vanity extensions.

Personally, I think there are strong arguments for .XXX. Adult webmasters are stubborn and cheap. But the ice is gradually melting.

One thing I can't emphasize enough, though, is this:

If you're a new domainer who hasn't yet had a bunch of end-user sales, then you should NOT be investing in the new extensions right now.

I'm buying some. But I've learned how to pick them (to some extent) from my sales in .COM and other extensions. Like all domainers, I started out buying mostly crap. But crap in .COM is a lot cheaper than crap in .WHATEVER. So I could experiment with more. .COM sells faster than anything else. There are more buyers for it. They're familiar with it. Domainers buy it from other domainers, whereas they really don't for the new extensions. And .COM / .NET / .ORG / ccTLDs have proven for years that they sell in high volume for the highest prices.

THAT is what you need to try. That's where you'll learn from sales. If you're only holding risky bets in .WHATEVERs, you might go 2 years without ever experiencing a sale. How can you learn that way?

Start with the least risky domains. Sell those. Then gradually venture in riskier territory if you feel like maybe losing 100% of your money.

Find a .COM domain that has 20+ businesses out there who specialize in what's to the left of the dot. Make sure it sounds right. Make sure it's as good or better than the domains they already have. Find out what domains like that one sell for. If you can get it for 1/10th that amount or less, then considering buying it.

•••
"Search Engine Journal is out with a piece about the myth of keyword rich domains and their correlation to improving search engine rankings."

Keyword rich domains and exact match domains are different. For instance, a domain name nanotechnologyissuper DOT com does not have much value, but a name like nano.technology, which has the same words in the name has immense value, IMO :$:

•••
I know, we've been talking about that for a few weeks now :)
Well I have been a bit busy so I missed it. :)

Niche, novelty extensions, most with a limited amount of great keywords that actually make sense, most gone after the first day of general availability, limited amount of spotlight, on to the next ones, never a real market for them...........
Actually what I think is playing out is an inversion of the Domain Tasting patterns of 2005-2009. Except rather than having large catch-all TLDs like .COM/NET/ORG gaining registrations, you have micro TLDs getting what would have been DT style domains with the latter keyword forming the TLD. When there are sufficient numbers of new gTLDs, I'll run a comparison against 2005-2009 data.

Ah, that would explain it, last time you posted before today was 1/27, over a month ago. Got some catching up to do. We have a few threads going talking about all of this, why the numbers are what they are and so on.
Yes but I have to go and count the domains and check where they are hosted. I cannot rely on domainer blogs for data - I have to add each one of these new gTLDs to the database and crunch numbers. :) Good job the large new gTLDs haven't appeared yet.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Yes but I have to go and count the domains and check where they are hosted. I cannot rely on domainer blogs for data - I have to add each one of these new gTLDs to the database and crunch numbers. :) Good job the large new gTLDs haven't appeared yet.

Regards...jmcc

I've been getting the numbers from here - http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDDomainCounts.aspx

I've checked your site out before for reg numbers as well. Didn't see any of these new ones (yet?).

There was another thread where I asked the best place to get the numbers, the one above was the one I got. Not sure if there are better ones out there that I'm missing.

•••
I've been getting the numbers from here - http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDDomainCounts.aspx

I've checked your site out before for reg numbers as well. Didn't see any of these new ones (yet?).
It takes a bit of time to integrate them because of the different launch dates. At the moment, I think that I'll have to create a separate section for the new gTLDs.

Regards...jmcc

•••
The New gTLDs, Pro and Con?

I have discussed my take on the new gTLDs on my blog (safe to visit -- I'm not trying to sell anything). I tried to cover pros and cons.

Keep in mind that this is an opinion piece -- no deep research has been done.

I think that the new gTLDs could be an important and disruptive change in the industry, but with caveats.

•••
•••
•••
Saw this posted on thedomains, new gtlds stats, looks good:

http://ntldstats.com/

Nice to see in one place. This has me thinking.

This shocked me:

42,153 .guru

There are 40,000+ gurus in the world?

I may have to compete with gurus... if you have poodle.guru I'm gunning for you because I'm going to register...

Poodle.expert (more professional than a guru)
Poodle.ninja (more ninja-y than a guru)

And stealthily kick your dot ass.

On my way to Poodle fortunes!

•••
Nice to see in one place. This has me thinking.

This shocked me:

There are 40,000+ gurus in the world?

I may have to compete with gurus... if you have poodle.guru I'm gunning for you because I'm going to register...

Poodle.expert (more professional than a guru)
Poodle.ninja (more ninja-y than a guru)

And stealthily kick your dot ass.

On my way to Poodle fortunes!

well there will probably be poodle.pet poodle.care poodle.grooming poodle.animals, poodle.attacks, Bestin.Poodle etc

Pick well when choosing an extension to develop.

18740d1310082080-your-poodle-vicious-100_0267.jpg

Poodle.Attacks​

Last edited:
•••
Most of these stats are coming from domainer's speculating that businesses and/or other domainer's will want to buy them?

The question you should ask yourself is how long am I willing to pay those high renewals waiting for someone to buy my domain.

Saw this posted on thedomains, new gtlds stats, looks good:

http://ntldstats.com/

•••
Most of these stats are coming from domainer's speculating that businesses and/or other domainer's will want to buy them?

The question you should ask yourself is how long am I willing to pay those high renewals waiting for someone to buy my domain.

I think many domainers are planing to do some spring cleaning to make room in their portfolios for a few new gtld's.

•••
.PRO is wayyyy better than .guru! So why its a bad tld? lol

•••

There are exceptions, but overall I agree with you. I'd sooner use .PRO than .GURU.

•••
.pro is a bad tld because of the licensing restriction. You can't be a "poodle.pro" because that's (usually) not a licensed profession. It also means you technically can't resell .pro domains except in the unlikely event you actually have the license in question.

•••
.pro is a bad tld because of the licensing restriction. You can't be a "poodle.pro" because that's (usually) not a licensed profession. It also means you technically can't resell .pro domains except in the unlikely event you actually have the license in question.

Sounds like you're really saying it's a bad tld for speculating, the restrictions might be a benefit to the public tired of parking pages.

•••
Sounds like you're really saying it's a bad tld for speculating, the restrictions might be a benefit to the public tired of parking pages.
That's true but not really my point. The restriction guarantees .pro will always be tiny and unlikely to earn back the ICANN fee for its registry. Aero has the same problem.

•••
That's true but not really my point. The restriction guarantees .pro will always be tiny and unlikely to earn back the ICANN fee for its registry. Aero has the same problem.

Lots of tlds have restrictions, edu, gov, int, aero, pro, post, doesn't mean the registry is going broke, especially when it's just a subset of a larger organization. None of that makes these 'bad', just restricted.

•••
poodle.sucks ,,,,,, whoops i've said too much …again

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back