Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

buyresaledomains

Established Member
Impact
What does that do to this biz? Does it make the .com even that much better? Or obsolete? As of now extensions have no bearing on search results. But what happens when a domain is "kendras.daycare". Will it impact Serps then?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
thats like trying to push an elephant through a needle hole. people are going to be so confused, they'll most likely stick with what they know.

•••
Type in will always go to. COM I have tried every other extension and really only buy .com, I will sometimes buy .net if development is possible and .ca as it is my country . But I really don't think A million other ext will topple .com.

•••
thats like trying to push an elephant through a needle hole. people are going to be so confused, they'll most likely stick with what they know.

i hear domainers say "people will be confused" as if that means "people are incapable of learning eventually"

the stick with what they know thing is taken to weird lengths too... so if i talk to someone about getting my lawn mowed and he hands me a business card using a .biz domain im going to change my mind and not visit the website?

Type in will always go to. COM I have tried every other extension and really only buy .com, I will sometimes buy .net if development is possible and .ca as it is my country . But I really don't think A million other ext will topple .com.

the kids dont do type ins anymore. so literally most the people typing in a keyword and adding .COM will die eventually. im 30 years old and have never done this. seems like a stupid monkey brain way to navigate the internet.

•••
Depending on the business, 8 times out of 10, website visitors get to your website via a direct link. The other 2 out of 10 via a google search. So again, a direct link. I rarely type in addresses. It much easier to type it in google and let google work out any typing errors. So all said and done, it prob matters little what the extension is. That said, I only buy .coms. I would prefer to take a hit on my preferred name then get a .net, .biz, or .ninja (one of the new ones).

•••
It will definitely kill speculative extension buying. And extension but outs (buying all extensions for domain).

Supply of limit and demand says that further extensions will bring down prices. That's probably a strong reason why domains have been hit lately. With all the new extensions. Still far shy of a 1000 though. Which begs the question, will there still be a biz for domains, when there is a unlimited amount of available extensions and preferred domain names???

I too don't like the speculative answer, but I need to be a realist. Especially since I'm just getting into this arena.

•••
Which begs the question, will there still be a biz for domains, when there is a unlimited amount of available extensions and preferred domain names???

I too don't like the speculative answer, but I need to be a realist. Especially since I'm just getting into this arena.

most domainers say this is why it will make .COM and other recognized TLD's stronger because it'll stand out amongst the masses. seems like it could be true - at least at first but not sure how long that will last.

but very good question about the value of "other" TLD's... with 1,000+ TLDs it would seem very likely the values would be spread so thin and end user sales would be random and harder to predict..

translation: if you're holding thousands of 2 word .info domains you might want to re-evaluate things.

•••
What does that do to this biz? Does it make the .com even that much better? Or obsolete? As of now extensions have no bearing on search results. But what happens when a domain is "kendras.daycare". Will it impact Serps then?

Those new extensions = domainer domains. Real businesses won't touch them. Most people not in this business, won't even know they ever exist.

Exactly.

•••
Those new extensions = domainer domains. Real businesses won't touch them. Most people not in this business, won't even know they ever exist.

Exactly.

As mentioned above, at least in the beginning, most def. but over the years even my mom can use her iphone. I don't not agree with you. Just playing devils advocate. That is true most biz will never touch them. Big biz that is. I could see many mom and pops buying them.

•••
"I could see many mom and pops buying them."

And most small businesses fail. That risk goes higher when you start off on the wrong foot, trying to build on an extension most people have never heard of. You can say something like most people will get there via SERPS in Google and I can point out it's not smart building your business on the whims of Google or about domain bias and if they see a competing business on a .com vs. yours on .someextensiontheyveneverheardof, that .com is getting the click. Or even one lost customer is not good business, confusing them is not good business. Stuff like that. With .com, besides already being ingrained and a business just having to get people to remember what comes before the dot, you now have to market both sides of that dot. That cost a lot of money, something new businesses usually don't have a lot of. You go with what's most flexible and what people already know .com is good for online and offline marketing, already built in. But why pick a foreign extension when you can just make up a name or a two word combo on a .com? You can get those for reg fee all day long.

Last edited:
•••
So are we (I can say we right? Lol) under the impression then that these extensions will just make .coms that much more unique? Or that much more irrelevant? I can see both sides of this argument. I myself cannot say one way or the other which way I would lean. If I give it some thought there should be plenty of examples of this exact idea in history.

Here is one... Even though hundreds of businesses pop up on the outskirts of town, the main BLVD physical address is still sought after.

And another... When millions of homes flood the markets home prices drop.

Because domains are Monopoly money and not tangible products I would guess that once the market is saturated with billions of available names the outcome will fall somewhere in the middle of these two above mentioned scenarios. That's my limited minds eye view at least.

•••
"I could see many mom and pops buying them."

And most small businesses fail. That risk goes higher when you start off on the wrong foot, trying to build on an extension most people have never heard of. You can say something like most people will get there via SERPS in Google and I can point out it's not smart building your business on the whims of Google or about domain bias and if they see a competing business on a .com vs. yours on .someextensiontheyveneverheardof, that .com is getting the click. Or even one lost customer is not good business, confusing them is not good business. Stuff like that. With .com, besides already being ingrained and a business just having to get people to remember what comes before the dot, you now have to market both sides of that dot. That cost a lot of money, something new businesses usually don't have a lot of. You go with what's most flexible and what people already know .com is good for online and offline marketing, already built in. But why pick a foreign extension when you can just make up a name or a two word combo on a .com? You can get those for reg fee all day long.

so which is it - most small business fail cause they're dumb?

OR most small business wont touch them because they're smart?

•••

Right on.

It's funny when you see others preaching and posting articles they found on the release of the new gtld's.

Did you ever look at the sources for all those articles?

Domainers tend to get trapped under the big bubble which secludes them from the outside world.

Those same sources will be the ones preaching about how many names are taken in this and that extension ect....

100,000 names registered is great!

But not if they are regged by the same people reading the article.

THINK.

If you ask most businesses out there (end-users) what they think about the new release of the gtld's.

They will most likey say, "what the hell are you talking about, a new .com?

Moral here: Think outside the box. Not in the box.

:imho:

•••
I wouldn't say their dumb. They just picked the wrong business 99% of the time. A new biz is hard to break through. Especially if you don't have some funds to get you through the inevitable rough spots. I know that if I couldn't fall back on a few other things my biz's prob would have fallen. ie don't pick a restaurant. Def not one on the same corner that 5 other restraints went under.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Right on.

It's funny when you see others preaching and posting articles they found on the release of the new gtld's.

Did you ever look at the sources for all those articles?

Domainers tend to get trapped under the big bubble which secludes them from the outside world.

Those same sources will be the ones preaching about how many names are taken in this and that extension ect....

100,000 names registered is great!

But not if they are regged by the same people reading the article.

THINK.

If you ask most businesses out there (end-users) what they think about the new release of the gtld's.

They will most likey say, "what the hell are you talking about, a new .com?

Moral here: Think outside the box. Not in the box.

:imho:

You just nailed it. Ok I can lean now. All these TLDs will make all other TLDs just that. A vast sea of TLDs. The only true domains - will be the .coms. Good because that's all I have.

•••
so which is it - most small business fail cause they're dumb?

OR most small business wont touch them because they're smart?

Businesses fail for a lot of reasons. One of them is making bad decisions, as this would be.

•••
Supply of limit and demand says that further extensions will bring down prices. That's probably a strong reason why domains have been hit lately.
What happened to domains lately ? Did I miss anything ? :)

With all the new extensions. Still far shy of a 1000 though. Which begs the question, will there still be a biz for domains, when there is a unlimited amount of available extensions and preferred domain names???
The supply of domain is already infinite.

You can always have a .com if you want, it will just have to be longer. Or you've got to be creative. But there are plenty of alternative TLDs that are already available to you today :talk:

The extension does matter for advertising/branding purposes. You can perfectly advertise a .biz or even .co or something else.
But the perceived credibility of your enterprise may be lower as a result.
Consumers will trust less odd URLs with unusual endings. Not that .co or .tk is technically inferior to .com, but that's the way it is.

Tell me, what's wrong with .pro .museum .travel .aero .xxx .etc .etc .etc .etc .etc .etc .etc ?
Why did all these extensions fail to take off ?
Really think opening the floodgates to hundreds more will achieve a result significantly different ?
Plenty of new extensions that nobody asked for in the first place. Just because people complain about the scarcity of good domains, doesn't mean they will settle for anything.

In 1995, people were already saying domains would become irrelevant because a huge chunk of Internet navigation takes place through search engines. The same thinking still prevails with some people, but now it's because of the mobile apps or something else.
Domains are still around.

There will always be a market for good domains in good extensions.
In saying that, there is always the possibility of a few TLDs picking up, but the vast majority will be failures. Just think that the shelf space is limited to begin with.

•••
Basically what is discussed on this thread has been discussed so many times on so many other threads.

99.99% of those on the net will not get at all excited about new extensions, etc.
As most never see the real light of day.

•••
Most of the online businesses are of ecommerce type. so if someone want to enter into ecommerce space and want to avoid hefty cost of aftermarket domains then they can now have option to start business on some new gtld like .shop and make the new website popular using viral marketing tactics like spreading coupons and using social networks and even those customers who are not aware of .shop tld will visit the site and bookmark it. :)
The introduction of new gtlds will provide more options to end users with limited funds.

•••
Businesses fail for a lot of reasons. One of them is making bad decisions, as this would be.

not sure how many businesses have completely failed because they started out using a crappy domain or unknown TLD. lost traffic sure, lost perceived credibility - to some people. but failed because of the domain or TLD i'd imagine wouldnt even make up 10% of this.

Just think that the shelf space is limited to begin with.

the registrars can really only "showcase" so many TLD's in their current format.. but its a real problem they're going to have to deal with so i wonder what they're gonna do.. the only time something like that becomes not a problem is when almost any word is a TLD... but at $185,000 a pop that aint feasible right now.

i bet theyll have a search box for just TLD's like they do domains now..

Basically what is discussed on this thread has been discussed so many times on so many other threads.

99.99% of those on the net will not get at all excited about new extensions, etc.
As most never see the real light of day.

so lets just call it a day - just 1,000+ TLD's coming out, nothing to see here folks. :lol:

i think we should post more appraisal threads personally..

•••
"they can now have option to start business on some new gtld like .shop"

How many great keywords do people think there are for each business? People always say you can't get that category killer in a .com which is mostly true unless you want to pay out the yang. That great keyword will be limited for every extension out there.

Let's say you sold bikes. Maybe somebody will get bike.shop or bikes.shop, then what? sellbikes.shop, take it further. Oh, you'll have to get creative. When you can just do that with a .com.

Those great keywords are limited for any extension. And some of those keywords you can get on the cheap right now, in the already alternative extensions.

•••
What happened to domains lately ? Did I miss anything ? :)

The supply of domain is already infinite.

You can always have a .com if you want, it will just have to be longer. Or you've got to be creative. But there are plenty of alternative TLDs that are already available to you today :talk:

The extension does matter for advertising/branding purposes. You can perfectly advertise a .biz or even .co or something else.
But the perceived credibility of your enterprise may be lower as a result.
Consumers will trust less odd URLs with unusual endings. Not that .co or .tk is technically inferior to .com, but that's the way it is.

Tell me, what's wrong with .pro .museum .travel .aero .xxx .etc .etc .etc .etc .etc .etc .etc ?
Why did all these extensions fail to take off ?
Really think opening the floodgates to hundreds more will achieve a result significantly different ?
Plenty of new extensions that nobody asked for in the first place. Just because people complain about the scarcity of good domains, doesn't mean they will settle for anything.

In 1995, people were already saying domains would become irrelevant because a huge chunk of Internet navigation takes place through search engines. The same thinking still prevails with some people, but now it's because of the mobile apps or something else.
Domains are still around.

There will always be a market for good domains in good extensions.
In saying that, there is always the possibility of a few TLDs picking up, but the vast majority will be failures. Just think that the shelf space is limited to begin with.

When I said lately I meant years not not months. I was just parroting back what I've read about the old days of domaining. From what I read it was more profitable 10 years ago. I have only been domaining (if i can call it that lol) for literally 2 weeks. So don't give anything I say too much weight. Not yet at least. :)

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

not sure how many businesses have completely failed because they started out using a crappy domain or unknown TLD. lost traffic sure, lost perceived credibility - to some people. but failed because of the domain or TLD i'd imagine wouldnt even make up 10% of this.

the registrars can really only "showcase" so many TLD's in their current format.. but its a real problem they're going to have to deal with so i wonder what they're gonna do.. the only time something like that becomes not a problem is when almost any word is a TLD... but at $185,000 a pop that aint feasible right now.

i bet theyll have a search box for just TLD's like they do domains now..

so lets just call it a day - just 1,000+ TLD's coming out, nothing to see here folks. :lol:

i think we should post more appraisal threads personally..

It's helped me help to understand what's up and what's down. For that I thank the participation.

•••
Those great keywords are limited for any extension. And some of those keywords you can get on the cheap right now, in the already alternative extensions.

and now there will be more and theyll be even cheaper.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

buyresaledomains: i think you're missing the posts im "quoting." each separate post is responding to a different person.

•••
and now there will be more and theyll be even cheaper.

They are already out there on the cheap. Just have to take a look at what's dropping everyday. Of course, you'll never see a business on tv, even local business using them. Magazines, nope, billboards, nope, really no offline marketing whatsoever.

And as we've gone thru before, in the other thread with examples, you can just get that major keyword + some other keyword .com for reg fee. You can have mjnelscomputers.com. No, you would get computers.shop, well probably not because that keyword would get snapped up already as they usually do before you even get a chance at it. So maybe mjnelscomputers.shop. There's a winner.

Those great keywords in all those other extensions, will get snapped up as they always do, usually by domainers. Unless, they have something in place, where only end users get them. And again, those great keywords are in limited supply.

Last edited:
•••
They are already out there on the cheap. Just have to take a look at what's dropping everyday. Of course, you'll never see a business on tv, even local business using them. Magazines, nope, billboards, nope, really no offline marketing whatsoever.

but nobody knows about them right? so how could they register something they dont know about..

JB Lions said:
And as we've gone thru before, in the other thread with examples, you can just get that major keyword + some other keyword .com for reg fee.

yep and now you'll be able to get keyword.keyword for reg fee

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back