1&1 Runs New gTLD Commercial During Sunday Football Games

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

EJS

DomainInvesting.comVIP Member
DomainInvesting.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In case you missed it, domain registrar 1&1 had a new gTLD commercial airing during this afternoon's NFL games.

http://www.elliotsblog.com/11-runs-new-gtld-commercial-6537

Well, I think it’s a bold step, but it’s a little early. Until specific extensions are approved and brought into the root by ICANN, none really exist. It’s all supposition at this point.

Suppose their commercial is effective and some potential registrants try to pre-register a .web name, or a .inc name, then find out that those extensions really don’t yet exist. Word would probably travel fast and the whole industry takes yet another black eye because one entity is selling, essentially, snake oil in the form of hopes and dreams.

That said, it’s time for those registries with viable, real extensions, like .us, to step up to the plate and start doing what they should have been doing the past 10 years: ADVERTISE!

•••
Oh no! This means we are going to get even more noobs complaining about their awful service.

•••
Some of the tlds:

.fans
.fan
.career
.careers
.business (already got .biz)
.enterprises
.farm
.cricket
.dad
.matrix
.lol

Anyone here actually going to get in on the landrush?

•••
Oh no! This means we are going to get even more noobs complaining about their awful service.

How is that different from what it is today? It will just be a lot more people complaining about 1&1, Godaddy, and the other big registrars.

Anyone here actually going to get in on the landrush?

Nope, I'll take my chances of waiting for Namecheap, or Resellerclub to offer them.

•••
funny, 1and1 runs EXACTLY the same spot also here in Italy and Germany ...

•••
After getting nothing but lip service from the registries for the past 10 years, at least some entity is now spending money to draw attention toward alternatives to .com.

•••
After getting nothing but lip service from the registries for the past 10 years, at least some entity is now spending money to draw attention toward alternatives to .com.

Yes but why did it have to be 1&1? That's like having the mafia be the first to create a commercial for a new style of knife that's coming out. Thanks but I'd rather have a commercial by Gordon Ramsey for the knife, and a commercial by a decent registrar for the new tld's.

All this means is that most of the uninitiated who get suckered into 1&1 by the commercials, will become disgruntled not only with 1&1 but by extension to domains/registrars, period. Sigh. I guess every industry needs its inner poison just to keep things rocky, and with domain registrars that poison continues to be 1&1.

•••
I'll admit it, I watched a 1&1 commercial and ended up pre-regging some domains on there. Anything good is already pre-regged. What I believe is that even if the 700 domains go mainstream, there just won't be the value that .com had because there are so many keyword variations to choose from. 3 characters will be worthless outside of .net/.com/.org.

36*36*36*700 = 32mil 3 char domains.

I do think there are some good domains out there, but they're all pre-regged already. Now it's just a minefield sweeping up unfortunate souls.

I already see a lot of worthless domains regged.

Last edited:
•••
I'll admit it, I watched a 1&1 commercial and ended up pre-regging some domains on there. Anything good is already pre-regged. What I believe is that even if the 700 domains go mainstream, there just won't be the value that .com had because there are so many keyword variations to choose from. 3 characters will be worthless outside of .net/.com/.org.

36*36*36*700 = 32mil 3 char domains.

I do think there are some good domains out there, but they're all pre-regged already. Now it's just a minefield sweeping up unfortunate souls.

I already see a lot of worthless domains regged.

those arnt real pre-registrations.

you're promised nothing. they're basically conducting a survey.

•••
A couple of TLDs will probably become hot properties, and most will not. Those that become hot may include some that have been around for a while, like .us and .info. Most sheep know as much about those two as they know about any of the new gTLDs, so any alternative to .com/.net/.org stands a better chance of becoming popular. Such a gamble, but there will probably be a couple of winners somewhere in the mix. In fact, with the current "pre-registration" hype, anyone trying for an alternative name now will only find that .us, .info, .biz, .mobi, etc. are actually available now and functional.

•••
That said, it’s time for those registries with viable, real extensions, like .us, to step up to the plate and start doing what they should have been doing the past 10 years: ADVERTISE!

And why have they not been advertising all along?

TheDomains estimates 1and1 has spent over $50 million on this ad campaign. They have gathered about 3 million pre-registrations, for a cost of $16.67 per.

Per lead, not per sale.

Unlike 1and1, the people running .US, .MOBI etc can do math.

•••
And why have they not been advertising all along?

TheDomains estimates 1and1 has spent over $50 million on this ad campaign. They have gathered about 3 million pre-registrations, for a cost of $16.67 per.

Per lead, not per sale.

Unlike 1and1, the people running .US, .MOBI etc can do math.

I doubt $50 million has been spent on "this ad campaign," but you can believe hearsay if you like.

3 million registration attempts proves the value of advertising. I'm sure .MOBI and .NEUSTAR wish they had 3 million new attempted registrations. Again, I don't believe the $50 million figure, I believe it's less - a lot less.

•••

I'm still trying to figure out why so many domainers try to bash a company for not being "domainer friendly" when the company is not geared towards domainers in the first place. They are geared towards businesses and such for the most part. There are many registrars to choose from. Some are recommended because of their ease of use for bulk domain management while others aren't. Do your research before picking a registrar to find one that works best for you. I have used 1&1 before when I use to have a dedicated server with them and I always found their dedicated server support to be quite helpful and I never had any trouble with the products and services I bought from them including the free domain name registrations they gave me along with my server. I am not trying to protect 1&1, but I do feel people need to do their research and deal with companies that suite their needs the best rather than bash a company that never promises to provide the tools you are looking for in the first place such as bulk domain management tools and easy domain pushing. Large portfolio holders already understand this and if the new domainers don't, they will just have to find out the hard way. If you plan to be in this business, then find a registrar that caters to your specific needs. Don't just settle for the one with the lowest price, but rather the one that has good pricing and the tools you need as well as customer service if that is important to you.

Last edited:
•••
At Least $50 million spent by 1and1 - confirmed:
thedomains(dot com)/2013/10/29/confirmed-1and1-com-has-spent-over-50-million-on-television-ads-but-are-they-over/

Replace "(dot com)" to get the link, I don't know if a link there is acceptable on NP.

Some new gTLDs are live now in the root, the conventional first domain is nic.TLD.

Most registrys are asking high prices for their domains at this point, those prices will fall after the landrush, at least that is what happened to earlier TLDs.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back