Dynadot

Importance of new TLD .gdn?

Spaceship
Watch
Hey guys.

Now when many new TLDs appears, one of them is .gdn
In Dynadot registrar this is cost just one dollar. But whats importance and popularity of this TLD between others?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just got a couple to see and share as an example...
GrowYour (dot gdn)
GrowYourOwn (dot gdn)

•••
•••
There is a .garden extension. I had one but dropped it. .gdn as an extension will fail

It has no importance except those who invested in it

•••
@Jurgen Wolf @platey @dordomai I just checked whois.com to see what top brands own .gdn domain and surprisingly facebook, microsoft, Amazom, Instagram & Apple all own a .gdn domain. What would you say about this?

It does't mean anything.

protective registrations... basically they need to register their mark because not doing so could weaken it. they don't want to but have to.

Amazon bought virtually any extension even the ones that did not make sense at all like amazon.whoswho and amazon.hiv

•••
What's up with paid GDN promotion in NP? Sorry .gdn is dead on arrival.

•••
•••
I don't say its better than com, never said that. I only said that xyz is more generic than gdn
if by more generic you mean it has higher registration out of all the tlds that yes it is but registration numbers dont matter. Also, on the technical stand point all gtlds are same. I guess xyz is doing better branding therefore more people know about it but then it has been out for 3 plus years now. gdn is only a year old. So lets see

•••
if you believe those numbers from chinese like .top better go buy into bitcoin asap
China has bought around 1.95 million xyz domains and is on top. The second one is USA with 221,000 domains. A huge difference.

China has bought 150,000 gdn domains and is on top. Second one is USA with 100,000 plus domains registered in USA. Percentage wise GDN is better results in USA with almost 35% domains registered compared to xyz at 7%. I think GDN is not entirely focusing on Chinese market. Thats smart. It also means gdn is more likely to have better response in USA as compared to china. This is something i did not even know and did research to get to this @mad409 this one's for us...interesting

•••
I never said gdn is better then top or xyz All I am saying that they are all brands and people give preference to one than the other IMO just like people like Apple Phone vs Android phones or vice versa doesn't make one brand o and the other a hero. It about people preferences. Talking about preferences as per stats on namestat.org, GDN has higher preference in USA with 35% registered domains compared to xyz with just 7%. This means GDN is a better brand in USA and XYZ is a better brand in CHINA.

Not it means that for some reason more speculators and spammers from China bought .xyz but we don't know why.

Hint:
It probably to do with the fact that the xyz registry paid many large registrars to promote their domains on their website!

Actually gdn has no meaning other the meaning that was given to it by the registry. No one knows about this so for society it has no meaning.

.xyz are the last 3 letters of the alphabet so it means something to most people.

.com does not mean anything to most but most know that it is the default extension for websites so it has a really important meaning for everything internet related.

.gdn has no development and thus no people preference.

.gdn competes against many other short extensions like .cx, sx, cc, .tl, .im, .to and many many others.

It is worse than most of these so it is so bad that it will never get good prices on the aftermarket.

This means GDN is a better brand in USA and XYZ is a better brand in CHINA.

.gdn is NOT a brand because no one knows about it and it has no meaning. You would have to promote it heavily so that everyone knows about it(and remembers it).

This won't happen. Try to make people remember what .gdn means. Most will not care or forget it. To make it a global brand you would have to invest hundreds of millions in advertising at least or more.

.xyz has at least some potential as a brand because everyone has learned the sequence XYZ at school. At least people can remember it.

That doesn't mean that it is well known as a website ending but at least there is something about it that people know and understand.

Last edited:
•••
so they have defensive registrations. Your theory is flawed(my opinion):singing:
This extension will fail miserably because it has no meaning except to domainers. :xf.cry:
.Top is superior to gdn
Quote me:xf.grin:

at least .top means something :xf.grin:

Maybe this is the reason why it is ahead of .gdn in the spam charts. even spammers want something meaningful for their emails...

•••
It's not to early
It's to late :banghead:

•••
.gdn is global domain name and is based out of Dubai-UAE

I have petrol.gdn

and you?

•••
@Frank Demitri why are you so protective of this new gtld? Are you paid by the registry to advertise it? Just curious, read all the posts and that is the feeling that i get. It's nothing wrong with being paid to advertise something, don't get me wrong, but this is just going only on one direction.

•••
@cipcip Not at all. Haha. Funny. I would rather buy .club and .xyz but I like .gdn and have to protect it. I am new in this and the first one I bought was gdn and have seen a lot being discussed or talked about it. I try to justify with facts therefore and not opinions. There are a lot of people that protect gdn here not just me.

•••
Because it just looks cool, ya dig?... www.dig.gdn
Small story:
I am a normal internet user.
wow dog.gdn, such a nice website..I will visit that dog thing after 5 days.
After 5 days...Hmm it was dog.. I type.. dog.com..opps no.. dog.net ..no no it was new and cool.. dog.xyz... hmm noo.. let me remember.. dog.inc.... Let me take a memory pill.. still cant find.. Let me do some google and see what are the news dot coms then I will remember.. SEARCH-> RESULT--> Dizziness . closes computer.

•••
Small story:
I am a normal internet user.
wow dog.gdn, such a nice website..I will visit that dog thing after 5 days.
After 5 days...Hmm it was dog.. I type.. dog.com..opps no.. dog.net ..no no it was new and cool.. dog.xyz... hmm noo.. let me remember.. dog.inc.... Let me take a memory pill.. still cant find.. Let me do some google and see what are the news dot coms then I will remember.. SEARCH-> RESULT--> Dizziness . closes computer.

You have no interest in a site you can't remember despite the extension, plain and simple... :xf.wink:

•••
The question comes here poplur in which region? China? USA?
When I see stats, only found XYZ has inflated their registration numbers overnight from 2.8 mil to 6 mil between dates 05/30/2016 - 06/02/2016, same time their USA registrations are 204,138 as today and 60% registration in China. In compare gdn holding 99,606 out of their 328K registrations, so if I m based in USA whom do you think I should vote?

Well, China is the post popular country for gdn as well - https://namestat.org/gdn

Also, #8 on this list - https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

only reported sales
$1 and $150

http://dnpric.es/?q=.gdn

https://namebio.com/?s==gTN4EzM2ETM

•••
.pw has 1M+ regs...
And zero aftermarket among non-Chineses...
1- PW is cctld, please don't compare apple with orange
2- New gTLD's aftermarket value growth only you can see in another 2-3 years.
3- Millions of .com are available in marketplaces, same time they depreciated more than 60% value in comparing before new gtlds launched
4- Patience and holding power is a key element in new gtld investment
5- One-word keyword domain names will deliver better return

•••
•••
It's not as popular as many new g's but it's currently ranked #15 last I checked.

Although I've not received any spam from this extension it appears they need to work on that as they're ranked #5 but then again .top is ranked #2.

If you get any .gdn spam report it here, this will help them out:
[email protected]

I've only invested in LLL.gdn domains but I like them and the extension. Might gain in popularity some day, ya never know.

The best thing about this one is that it's totally generic like .xyz IMO..

•••
Maybe, it is important for some Chineses...
For other endusers: ~0.00 importance and popularity.

•••
•••
This time is usually 1 year and game over.

•••
Look everything is a gamble, even .com so probably no debate here unless ya want one.

•••
We can classify all TLDs into 5 groups in terms of risk:

Very Low
Low
Medium
High
Very High (and .gdn is in this group definitely).

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back