IT.COM

Importance of new TLD .gdn?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey guys.

Now when many new TLDs appears, one of them is .gdn
In Dynadot registrar this is cost just one dollar. But whats importance and popularity of this TLD between others?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We can classify all TLDs into 5 groups in terms of risk:
Very Low
Low
Medium
High
Very High (and .gdn is in this group definitely).
LMAO ... and there you have it .. this thread kinda proves my point that if even in a domainer forum most people have no idea what .GDN means after it's been around over a year .. then what hope is there for the general population to catch on? This TLD certainly was a huge "Gamble" !!! lol

It's really generic, a way to connect therefore it's merely your opinion. How many people know .io in the domainer world is input output? That's what sold it, not Indian Ocean.

Last edited:
•••
We can classify all TLDs into 5 groups in terms of risk:

Very Low
Low
Medium
High
Very High (and .gdn is in this group definitely).

We can classify all TLDs into 5 groups in terms of potential reward:

Very Low (and .gdn is in this group definitely)
Low
Medium
High
Very High

Same goes for most repurposed TLD's like .co and .tv .. .cc isn't really the same as those .. but being a double repeating it's super easy to remember

.cc is the best alternative IMO. shortest and easiest to remember. The Chinese understand that.

Last edited:
•••
if Google bought a .gdn domain the world would want a .gdn domain

i won't be rushing to buy one tho

•••
The importance factor of a tld?

An interesting question, maybe not what you were actually asking though.

Importance for a brand to have the .gdn is 0, given a scale of 0 to 100 say. And 0, given a scale of 1,000. And so on..... absolutely zero worth for any business to own a .gdn.

•••
.io is brandable (rememberable), because it sounds (thanks to vowels)... for example, say: oliv.io
.gdn brandability is ~0.00

If I told someone to go to name.io, or name.gdn they will do it. Some crazy stuff coming from these replies..

Last edited:
•••
I don't open even .site URLs... because I don't expect to see any serious project there...

•••
Yes, .io has high trust in IT/Tech-sphere... and it is primarily used for IT/Tech related projects...

•••
The question is why would someone want to brand their business on a TLD that is not relevant and meaningful.
Imagine you have a business, you print out some business cards to hand out to your contacts, and people keep asking what the gdn at the end means ?
Possible answers:
  • "it was $1 only" (we are cheap)
  • "I don't know" (you don't know but you put your online business on something you don't understand, interesting)
  • "other extensions were taken" (we are not very creative)
  • "because it was available" (but we are clueless)

The same reason you offer multiple cctlds for sale I guess.

Really what's the difference on a business card? I have no problem in a friendly debate but everyone so far is just brand and portfolio protection kind of replies...

I can provide examples but don't want to go there unless you'd like.. :xf.wink:

•••
... what the gdn at the end means ?
Possible answers:
  • "I don't know" (you don't know but you ...
"I don't know" ??? Wouldn't that be what the .IDK TLD is used for? (Is there an .IDK TLD ???) lol ;)

•••
After .whoiswho and .kiwi is the most crappy extension I've ever seen.
Serious business and serious domainers don't spend a penny on this sh*t.

there is .horse and .gripe too :xf.grin:

•••
Hey guys.

Now when many new TLDs appears, one of them is .gdn
In Dynadot registrar this is cost just one dollar. But whats importance and popularity of this TLD between others?

New gtld's are risky, don't take risks mate.. I bought several 6N and 7N .info domains and also many ngtld's just because they were $1 each. They are expiring now.. I still own many ngtld's but they are good one's.. they make sense and I am 100% sure I can sell them to end-users easily.. buy domains you are 100% sure you will be able to sell for profit.

•••
To get into enduser-head you need: knowledge, experience and analytics... and normal IQ-level.

True.
Before be a (successful) domainer you've to be an end user.
How to be an end user? Work for years with IT companies, know what they need and know how they work.

•••
Here is a list of top .gnd sales. I.bet .top can .top this list https://namebio.com/?s=wN2gDO4YTO

General Availability 6th March, 2016

I would wait until the big drop comes in this extension before investing.

Good chance you will get some LLL for cheap

•••
I get the lbgt extension mixed up too when i go visit sites there :-P

•••
Hey don't knock .xyz
I just invested another 50 cents in that extension

•••
"But whats importance and popularity of this TLD between others?"

Good question. .com's are 99 cents at many registries a much better buy!
Cheers

•••
I'm still buying .com domains too, it is still the king and I understand that.
.gdn for a $1 .com 99 cents. A slight on the current value of the "king" ;)

This extension may have potential in the plant type businesses or pot craze as short for "garden"
I don't see the China potential yet, they could come up with a universal meaning thou. they have been creative!
If I have to think that hard then there are so many others with much higher potential for years to come.
Happy Hunting!
Merry Christmas!

•••
•••
.com is periodically $1.xx with domain.com and their promocodes...

+ with GoDaddy's coupons in the past... and nowadays for new customers...

•••
if Google bought a .gdn domain the world would want a .gdn domain

i won't be rushing to buy one tho
Google Display Network
I will stick to dot com and logical two.words

Last edited:
•••
•••
Oh I didn't know that GDN was an abbreviation for garden :-P
And how many have they sold ?

according to Namebio and a report from Flippa we have a total of 2 domains sold ($150,$1) for a total of $151.

•••
gdn is one of the best new gtlds out there
domaining is all about the future, right?
gdn is "garden" in terms of what ppl today, and in the future, type in
i picked one up for a dollar a few months ago
alp names are now asking xxx or xxxx for similar names now ...

LOL
Are you serious? "one of the best new gtlds out there"?
gdn is one of the crappy gtlds out there.
If it fits perfectly with garden niche does not means it has potential.
garden niche is a very very small niche, and don't need a specific extension.
Garden sites can choose between hundreds of extensions, most serious/trusted than .gnd
.com for example....

•••
As far as .gdn, I havent regged any. I thought about grabbing a couple of hacks but didn't...

Sellin.gDN
Buyin.gDN

But I decided not to...even for a dollar.

Last edited:
•••
The new domain name suffix, if there is no specific meaning is difficult to apply, but the Chinese prefer to hype 3 words.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back