Dynadot

If your domain went to expired GoDaddy auction, will they put U in contact with winner of auction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JohnnyNight

Established Member
Impact
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone knows if a domain you own at godaddy goes through a completed expired domain auction, and you re-register it before it is transferred, will they put you in contact with the winner of the auction if you ask them, to see if the auction winner would still want to buy the domain from you...?

Someone I know has a domain in an auction that ends shortly and they're trying to decide what they should do.

Also does anyone know what they price is to re-register the domain after an expired domain auction occurs?

$100-200, something in that area?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No they will not put you in contact with the buyer. The buyer will simply receive an email saying the domain has been renewed and he will get a refund.

From GoDaddy website:

Note: A registrant can renew an expired domain name at no extra cost up to day 18. If they renew an expired domain name anytime between day 19 and day 42, they must also pay an $80.00 redemption fee. The domain name might not be available for renewal after day 42.

•••
GD RULES: "Note: A registrant can renew an expired domain name at no extra cost up to day 18. If they renew an expired domain name anytime between day 19 and day 42, they must also pay an $80.00 redemption fee. The domain name might not be available for renewal after day 42."

•••
You would have to pay a redemption fee of $80 or you can transfer it out to another registrar for about 10 bucks.

If the name is one that I was going to let drop and it ends up selling for a good amount I would normally transfer it out and list on all the marketplaces at Buy Now for the same amount that the domain sold for at auction. Most of the time it sells when re-listed.

•••
You would have to pay a redemption fee of $80 or you can transfer it out to another registrar for about 10 bucks.

If the name is one that I was going to let drop and it ends up selling for a good amount I would normally transfer it out and list on all the marketplaces at Buy Now for the same amount that the domain sold for at auction. Most of the time it sells when re-listed.

So you can transfer it out even in pending-delete / redemption status? Did not know that. Still something to learn after 12 years.

•••
Thanks everyone for the info..

Greatly appreciated...

•••
So you can transfer it out even in pending-delete / redemption status? Did not know that. Still something to learn after 12 years.
This info applies to Godaddy: You can transfer it out anytime through day 42. On day 43 it is placed in the auction winners account. On day 43, 44, and up to 45 you can still pay the redemption fee of $80 and get the name back. On these last 3 days you have to be very convincing for them to give it back. They say under certain circumstances they will on these 3 days. I have never heard of them not giving it back on these 3 days.

After day 45 if no one bought it at a Godaddy auction and it's released back into the system ICANN still gives you the ability to get the name back for a fee. I have never done it but I know it is possible.

•••
It pissed buyers off buy yes you can transfer out on day 45, get a real world appraisal, see where it closes then transfer to Name.com for $8.25. I have not seen the same thing that Hookbox has seen. Working with Adam Dicker last year 4L.com that were at $1,200 with 3 days left, got renewed and immediately put up a 7 day public auction and not one name went over $400, names like oopo.com which later sold on Sedo.

From an interview I did with Paul when our very own Ms.Domainer asked about the 45 day auction rule, Paul commented the following:

Paul Nicks says

August 3, 2012 at 12:56 pm (Edit)

Ms Domainer, re: the 42/45 day question:
Good question and one that I sincerely hope I can clarify. First, I’ll underscore a point I made in the interview, we created the system to give our registrants the ability to keep or redeem their name as long as possible. With that as the backdrop, hopefully the following explanation will make more sense.
For many TLDs we are given a grace period of up to 45 days after expiration to decide whether to keep or drop a domain. On the 25th day after expiration, after three attempts to contact the registrant, we put our expiring inventory onto the Go Daddy Auctions platform to see if any of our other customers are interested in acquiring them. During the entire time a domain is at auction the current registrant is able to redeem that domain, albeit for a fee.
On the 42nd day we will cancel the domain name if no other customer has expressed an interest in it via either the auction system or a Go Daddy backorder. If, however, a customer has expressed an interest via either of these platforms we will move the domain to their account on day 43. Since the domain is still in the Go Daddy ecosystem we do allow, in rare circumstances, the original registrant to get the domain back via our redemption system up until day 45 which signifies the end of the grace period.
Our help documentation (http://support.godaddy.com/help/art...s-for-handling-expired-domain-names?locale=en) specifies day 42 for deletion because our registrants need to understand that if they do not redeem prior to that date they could lose their domain forever. However, we will continue to err on the side of the registrant when it comes to the edge cases where a domain owner calls asking whether they can get their domain back after day 42.
I hope that helps ease any confusion around this topic.
-Paul

•••
To the original point from the OP, No Go Daddy is not going to let a customer get a free look, see where a domain closes, transfer out, but say oh customer on the way out, Mike Berkens was the high bidder at $800, you can reach him @ mike @******.com. They are pissed enough when domainers track down registrants and make deals off Go Daddy. They close or suspend accounts for people doing that stuff.

•••
Yeah, my original question left out that I assumed godaddy would be part of the process in contacting the high bidder and would still receive their commission.

Similar to when you have a 7 day auction with a reserve when the reserve is not reached as I understand things, they will give you the opportunity to sell the domain to the highest bidder that was short of the reserved.

Quite frankly I think every domain holder should be ultra pissed that godaddy thinks just because a domain has expired they have the rights to every dollar that domain gets in an expired auction..

They do nothing but sit on their fat tub and bring in the cash.

If someone makes a deal outside their system, good for them, it's still a free marketplace.

At least back in the day net sol gave the original registrant 25% I believe from the auction price...

•••
Yeah, my original question left out that I assumed godaddy would be part of the process in contacting the high bidder and would still receive their commission.

Similar to when you have a 7 day auction with a reserve when the reserve is not reached as I understand things, they will give you the opportunity to sell the domain to the highest bidder that was short of the reserved.

Quite frankly I think every domain holder should be ultra pissed that godaddy thinks just because a domain has expired they have the rights to every dollar that domain gets in an expired auction..

They do nothing but sit on their fat tub and bring in the cash.

If someone makes a deal outside their system, good for them, it's still a free marketplace.

At least back in the day net sol gave the original registrant 25% I believe from the auction price...

GoDaddy is a business not a charity.

•••
Quite frankly I think every domain holder should be ultra pissed that godaddy thinks just because a domain has expired they have the rights

Though really if you think about it, try naming any other situation where your ownership in something expires and you still retain rights or even partial rights to the use or profits.

•••
It pissed buyers off buy yes you can transfer out on day 45, get a real world appraisal, see where it closes then transfer to Name.com for $8.25. I have not seen the same thing that Hookbox has seen. Working with Adam Dicker last year 4L.com that were at $1,200 with 3 days left, got renewed and immediately put up a 7 day public auction and not one name went over $400, names like oopo.com which later sold on Sedo.

From an interview I did with Paul when our very own Ms.Domainer asked about the 45 day auction rule, Paul commented the following:

Paul Nicks says

August 3, 2012 at 12:56 pm (Edit)

Good question and one that I sincerely hope I can clarify. First, I’ll underscore a point I made in the interview, we created the system to give our registrants the ability to keep or redeem their name as long as possible. With that as the backdrop, hopefully the following explanation will make more sense.
For many TLDs we are given a grace period of up to 45 days after expiration to decide whether to keep or drop a domain. On the 25th day after expiration, after three attempts to contact the registrant, we put our expiring inventory onto the Go Daddy Auctions platform to see if any of our other customers are interested in acquiring them. During the entire time a domain is at auction the current registrant is able to redeem that domain, albeit for a fee.
On the 42nd day we will cancel the domain name if no other customer has expressed an interest in it via either the auction system or a Go Daddy backorder. If, however, a customer has expressed an interest via either of these platforms we will move the domain to their account on day 43. Since the domain is still in the Go Daddy ecosystem we do allow, in rare circumstances, the original registrant to get the domain back via our redemption system up until day 45 which signifies the end of the grace period.
Our help documentation (http://support.godaddy.com/help/art...s-for-handling-expired-domain-names?locale=en) specifies day 42 for deletion because our registrants need to understand that if they do not redeem prior to that date they could lose their domain forever. However, we will continue to err on the side of the registrant when it comes to the edge cases where a domain owner calls asking whether they can get their domain back after day 42.
-Paul
I didn't know you could still transfer out on day 45. I thought on day 43, 44, and 45 you would have to pay the $80 redemption fee.

•••
So, getting it back on days 43, 44, 45 is not guaranteed - that is what I understand.

•••
So, getting it back on days 43, 44, 45 is not guaranteed - that is what I understand.
You can get it back for the redemption fee but Equity78 is saying that you can still transfer it out on day 43, 44 and 45. I didn't know that. I always thought the cutoff for transfers out was day 42. Anytime I tried transferring out on day 43, 44 or 45 I would get an error with the authorization code.

•••
You can get it back for the redemption fee but Equity78 is saying that you can still transfer it out on day 43, 44 and 45. I didn't know that. I always thought the cutoff for transfers out was day 42. Anytime I tried transferring out on day 43, 44 or 45 I would get an error with the authorization code.
Dear equity, pls confirm this.

•••
Paul Nicks confirmed it

-Paul

•••
Go Daddy ecosystem we do allow, in rare circumstances, the original registrant to get the domain back via our redemption system up until day 45 which signifies the end of the grace period.

"In rare circumstances" - so it is not guaranteed between 42-45 days. Like 50-50 chance.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back