IT.COM

discuss If you do it right, you'd never lose

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Domaining is a non-loss game, especially when it comes to hand-registering and selling domain names.
With a 5-8% sell-through rate for outbound sellers, I think it is a comparatively safe game if you buy the right names.

Especially if you are dealing with keyword names, the chances of losing out are extremely low. You may sell whatever you can via outbound and then, auction the rest of the names or sell it at reseller prices.

But the only caveat I see here is the coupons. If you get names for $5 or so, then only it would work, else it wouldn't.

But what you actually lose is the time invested, which is, I believe a greater asset. Having said that, I also believe that this is subjective and may change based on the people and their current hourly rate. Anyways, if you invest time and break-even, the payout could be the learning you get from the time investment, which may later grow into further sales.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not being argumentative or contrite but, what do you consider in actual dollar terms to be
" profitable "or " making money " ?

Do you measure success in terms of " ROI " rather than pure dollars?

What dollar amount do you consider as a profitable " hourly rate " ?

Is the " 5 - 8 % sell - through rate for outbound sellers " quantified or verified or an estimate?

As a pure - passive - non - aggressive inbound only domainer, just curious about your
" you'd never lose " position.

Last edited:
•••
Not being argumentative or contrite but, what do you consider in actual dollar terms to be
" profitable "or " making money " ?

Do you measure success in terms of " ROI " rather than pure dollars?

What dollar amount do you consider as a profitable " hourly rate " ?

Is the " 5 - 8 % sell - through rate for outbound sellers " quantified or verified or an estimate?

As a pure - passive - non - aggressive inbound only domainer, just curious about your
" you'd never lose " position.
Hey, those are some really good questions:
1) Profitable is ROI on the portfolio and not on a single domain. So if you buy 10 domains for $10 each and end up selling 1 for $400, then your ROI is 300%. But yes, it makes sense to calculate actual dollars. Coz 1 sale for an hour time invested is $300 per hour but that's the only hour you earned.
2) Based on opportunity cost. If you were doing something else and had you invested time in that activity, is the hourly rate I am talking about.
3) the outbound rate is an estimate. 1 in 10 domains but still taken it a bit less.

I think the domains that you don't end up selling can be liquidated for reg fee or so and so, whatever you sell to end-users is the profit you make. Moneywise, you end up not losing much or at all.

•••
Where did you obtain this 5 to 8% sell through rate? Maybe for the most successful at it but I doubt the average domainer doing outbound is in that ballpark.

•••
•••
Where did you obtain this 5 to 8% sell through rate? Maybe for the most successful at it but I doubt the average domainer doing outbound is in that ballpark.
Makes sense. But I think outbound domains would sell 1 in 10 domains.

Hi

abject stupidity!

imo...
Can you please elaborate why?

•••
Your reply:
"1) Profitable is ROI on the portfolio and not on a single domain. So if you buy 10 domains for $10 each and end up selling 1 for $400, then your ROI is 300%. But yes, it makes sense to calculate actual dollars. Coz 1 sale for an hour time invested is $300 per hour but that's the only hour you earned."

We have quite opposite approaches to the buying and the selling of domains and the time involved with acquisitions and sales.

IMO and, reflected in my small portfolio holdings, I may spend 1 - 3 hours determining IF I should and will register just one domain name.

I need time to check for TMs and, similar names available for purchase and, similar names previously sold, in other words, to do my due diligence, and that takes time per name.

And that excludes the time needed to check for name availability per se and the personal record keeping I do once a name is acquired, my time per name acquired easily exceeds an hour, so likewise 10 names acquired would probably take me at least 10 - 12 hours acquisition time.

And remember, dealing with inquiries and offers like-wise takes time, sometimes a great deal of time without a sale.

Don't forget, and I don't, that each name may be "mine " for 1-20 years or so awaiting a profitable sale and there are innumerable hours required to re-evaluate each name and it's price and do the actual renewals.

Unless I acquired or assembled a portfolio as a whole and tried to sell it as a whole I could never view a ROI on my portfolio - it was assembled over years and names sell at different paces over many years.

•••
Time is a greater asset than money?
Bizarre threads

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back