Dynadot

discuss When you buy a domain name, do you know if you would sell it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

When you buy a domain name, do you know if you would sell it?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    20.0%
  • Sometime

votes
    30.0%
  • Not at all

votes
    50.0%
  • I know I will sell 1 or 2 in xx names

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
When you acquire a domain name, are you ever so sure that you would end up selling it for a profit?

I sometimes do but not most of the time. It could also be that I acquire low to medium-quality non-liquid names. But some of the domainers have developed what I would call 'domaining sense' and they know what they are getting into. It is only a matter of time and they know that the name would sell easily!

Unfortunately, that is not the case with me and I still struggle. I think there is a long learning curve in developing such a sense.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How does a yes or no answer help you in learning what is sellable or not?

•••
You don't have to know whether a particular name will sell or not. Truth is most will not, at least at an industry level end user price

What you should know is the probabibility at which a name will at sell at X price in N years

•••
If you're experienced, you'll know what will likely gets offers, and what won't...its a matter of time (and price). So yes, you should have a pretty good idea, if the odds are in your favour / what you have holds the desirability factor. The same applies to buying a domain for a sector that you're passionate about...you'd know beforehand (often) whether you're considering development, or an outright sale. More often than not, I wouldn't be so sure such a question enters the head, of a diligent investor. IMO

Last edited:
•••
Some names have high probability of selling. And with experience, you will be able to identify such names intuitively. Also, when you follow the current trends, like NFTs, you will get ideas of names that may be marketable in future. It is all about prospecting and a bit if of luck I guess.

•••
When you acquire a domain name, are you ever so sure that you would end up selling it for a profit?

I sometimes do but not most of the time.
If you are buying names that you "feel" might not sell, then you should not buy them.

•••
if a specific name will sell or not in my lifetime is irrelevant.

If you are operating at 1% or even 2% of str, it should be irrelevant to you too.

At 1% sell through, it would take over 50 years to sell your names (if you are not adding new names and not liquidating) with some small residual number still left.

And since my portfolio is ever-growing I don't even expect that big majority of my names will sell in my lifetime. Again, all I need is that it sells at near 1% of the portfolio annually.

•••
I believe you can’t be confident that your domain will be sold soon or in certain time !
Sometimes you get unexpected sale for a low or medium quality domains , and the other higher quality domains parked and waiting forever .

Last edited:
•••

I sometimes do but not most of the time. It could also be that I acquire low to medium-quality non-liquid names. But some of the domainers have developed what I would call 'domaining sense' and they know what they are getting into. It is only a matter of time and they know that the name would sell easily!

Unfortunately, that is not the case with me and I still struggle. I think there is a long learning curve in developing such a sense.

There is definetly a learning curve... The key is ... you shouldnt be registering just because you need to add to your portfolio... you should be searching daily but only ... register when they REALLY EXCITE YOU...

Dont fall for the plural when it should be singular trap... dont fall for the kind of good but not exactly the right wording ( woodburn.com vs burnwood.com (the second one is worth more
becuase you verb noun
you dont noun verb)
)

The thing about it ... is its all about lexical ability... At the simplest level it's about having an understanding of the english language and the subtle differences between how some words mean different things with others...

You dont want to register a domain name just to register it... you want to be wary of every domain name unless it's impossible for you to not register it...

Try this... in about 2 hours check the expired .coms... and start filtering... remove all hyphinated / numbers | max length 12 or so...... max words 2.... then go from there

only allow domains with SOME keyword searches ... only allow domains with SOME trustflow ... the options are there for you ... there are 50k domains maybe 100 of them will be gaurenteed sells at the right price...

also think of it like this... If you put yourself in the shoes of the developer it's impossible to not find some good ones...

i always try to alteast come up with a business or site that could work with that domain in my head.... AKA im not gonna just start registering names like twoDoves.com because other people sell names like that... I could never think of a concrete business that would use that name so its pointless.

something like domain catcher .com on the other hand has an implied usecase so -> it's alot easier to sell to someone whos actually developing something like that... because they look at it completely different... all their energy goes into developing... So at the end of the day A solid name is an easy sell to someone who makes big bucks / and is always strapped for time because they just want something good to go with their project.

•••
Dont fall for the plural when it should be singular trap... dont fall for the kind of good but not exactly the right wording ( woodburn.com vs burnwood.com (the second one is worth more
becuase you verb noun
you dont noun verb)
)

Really? That is your example? Woodburn is worth lots more than Burnwood. Taken in 38 extensions, compared to Burnwood with 15 extensions. Woodburn is also a city of 27000 people in the US, among of other things.

•••
Really? That is your example? Woodburn is worth lots more than Burnwood. Taken in 38 extensions, compared to Burnwood with 15 extensions. Woodburn is also a city of 27000 people in the US, among of other things.
my point is not that exact domain.. but rather that The order of the words are entirely diffent values

Last edited:
•••
•••
Answer: Need not be.

First you need to ask your self that why I am buying this domain? Whether it is useful for the buyer or end user? When your domain is not qualified for a business or entity then your domain is worthless. In recent days, I am observing most of the domainers buying domains without any research and fundamentals. Some one say Meta, Web3, Web5 are trending. Immediately after this news thousands of domainers registering in different tlds. This is crazy.. There are many buyers in search of good business names in different fields/subjects.

The simple logic to get more sales is research. Don't go with crowd.

•••
Depending on your chosen niche, you will find it very hard in today's markets.
First, ask yourself the question of why you want to get into this industry
Secondly, what is your target market & have you obtained any skill or knowledge to determine a valuable domain name?
And thirdly, what is your budget?
AEserver domain reseller is a program where you will get a platform to sell various products and services like domains, hosting, servers, email solutions, and more. It will allow you to build your own brand with your customers. It will be a private-labeled program, meaning we will have no access to your customer database.

You can make plenty of choices with a single program, whether integrate domain reselling into your current hosting business or offer a new service.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back