Dynadot

discuss Ideas about "How much?" question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kite26

Fearless BirdTop Member
Impact
Being active in names for around ten years, only one question can make you super happy and skeptical at the same time: "How much"?

Out of the blue, you receive an email from an interested party asking you the price with only two words, with your domain in the subject. What you usually do in this case? Some options are:
1. Reply him with only writing a number, my honest number.
2. A complete reply, underlining the selling points of your name.
3. Send them its Dan or Afternic link with the BIN only in it.
4. How much you can afford/What's your budget?
5. Give a range eg. $xx,xxx
6. No reply at all. They know the way to send the offer. Let them make an official offer and accept it or reject it. Don't play the game of buyer to decrease the price.
7. This domain may be for sale only for a serious offer.
8. Give an over-price. They will counter, my name is too good to be worried.
9. Give an under-price. I want to sell fast in any case.
10. How much you think it's worth?

Obviously, it depends on the specific domain and every case is different. I want to know which is your most frequent answer.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If if can verify the ID of the person who inquired (real name, LinkedIn page, website company), I always give a price.

If it's a "[email protected]", I send them the DAN landing page, where 99% of the names are BIN listed, with MO enabled.

Last edited:
•••
If if can verify the ID of the person who inquired (real name, LinkedIn page, website company), I always give a price.

If it's a "[email protected]", I send them the Dan landing page, where 99% of the names are BIN listed, with MO enabled.
It's a little out of topic, but having all BINs on AN and make offer on Dan, do you think it's a good combo?

•••
I have the same BIN at Domain.io (main landing page), AN, DAN and Sedo. Also, make offer enabled on 3 platforms. Domain.io have only DAN BIN and "Contact Owner".

It works for me, not sure about others.

Last edited:
•••
I have the same BIN at Domain.io (main landing page), AN, DAN and Sedo. Also, make offer enabled on 3 platforms. Domain.io have only DAN BIN and "Contact Owner".

It works for me, not sure about others.
I just want to avoid having BINs in different platforms for safety reasons. Let's stay on topic now please.

•••
If your domain has a lander anywhere (dan, AN etc) and you still got an email about price it is 99% a bot, you should not reply unless its a name you would like to sell for a bag of chips.

If it is a real buyer, you should send them to a buy now make offer page.

•••
I just used to reply what's your best offer and leave it......

Now it's minimum offer on DAN and BIN on Afternic to avoid this question at the first hurdle.....

Easy on DAN just to reject first, second offer etc until they reply with what price or this my final/best offer.......if they don't I just keep rejecting until they engage, then I know there is some genuine interest....and then the fun can begin

My BIN's on Afternic are deliberately overpriced to counter the commission, currency exchange and wire transfer fees.....

•••
If your domain has a lander anywhere (dan, AN etc) and you still got an email about price it is 99% a bot, you should not reply unless its a name you would like to sell for a bag of chips.

If it is a real buyer, you should send them to a buy now make offer page.
Too many words on the reply email are harmful in my experience. From now, I will send the buy now link.

•••
I just send a link to a BIN page.

With something like:
"This domain is available for immediate purchase through GoDaddy.com"
LINK

•••
I just send a link to a BIN page.

With something like:
"This domain is available for immediate purchase through GoDaddy.com"
LINK
Another helpful post. Thanks. My Dan pages include my email. I don't have much time testing it, but at least I got one inquiry this way (it simply makes their inquiry option useless by the way).

Last edited:
•••
Too many words on the reply email are harmful in my experience. From now, I will send the buy now link.
I agree, this is why I said just send a link

•••
I agree, this is why I said just send a link
...except for you are professional broker with an experience in negotiations. But I am not that kind of animal, so bla bla bla...

...however, these years I tried many negotiating methods and I believe that regardless the results this gave me valuable experience. :)

Warning: Never, NEVER understimate the negotiating skills of the buyer. Thank me later.

Last edited:
•••
i concur, send a link directly to the purchase page. good luck.

•••
If someone gives How Much they are going to get number 6 from me.

I agree with Nick bin more than you actually want plus make offer option works best to thwart low ballers and time wasters.

•••
Reply with the question of "May i know your budget, sir ?"
LoL

•••
Reply with the question of "May i know your budget, sir ?"
LoL
I like your question, i will test it too. However, I don't think it's easy for buyer to reveal information, especially for a smart one.

Last edited:
•••
I like your question, i will test it too. However, I don't think it's easy for buyer to reveal information, especially for a smart one.
If you want to lose sales ask that question. That question destroys more sales opportunities a year across all industries than anything else.

There are times hen that question is reasonable. For example, if you have a flower shop and someone says I would like to send flowers to someone for their birthday, it is ok to ask, what is your budget or how much would you like to spend.

If you call a real estate agent and say you want a house, it is ok for them to ask what is your budget.

If you contact someone about one specific item that only has one thing going for it, for example, a domain alone or for a specific watch, never ask what is your budget. They expect a firm price or you can ask them to make an offer.

If someone tells you I want a domain for my new car dealership then it's ok to ask them their budget so you know what to look for.

•••
My answer...Im open for negotiation.I must feel satisfaction...Send offer please

•••
My answer...Im open for negotiation.I must feel satisfaction...Send offer please
Nice! It smartly sends the ball to their side.

•••
the reply depends by how much patience you have to sell said domain name.
If you are unmotivated you can reply with an High bin or just I'm looking to evaluate offers.

If you are motivated to sell AND the domain name can be pretty easily replaced, reply with YOUR reasonable price and then start to negotiate from there.
Try to close the sale faster as possible, take the money and reinvest to repeat the process for cash flow.

•••
Sometimes people will do whois lockup to contact or contact on a marketplace asking how much not because of interest but because they are curious on what you think the domain is worth (similar to an appraisal). I get that all the time on domains.

•••
Hi

get quite a few "how much's"
mostly from forum members
then when i say, what's your offer?

some say shit like, "oh, uh...my offer is probably too low"
but a few have submitted decent offers, where deals were made

when i get a "how much" via email
i'll reply, what's your offer?

if they reply with offer that's too low to consider
then i'll say, "thanks, but it's too low to consider."

if they ask "what's the lowest you can sell for"?
i'll ask "what the most you can offer"

on marketplaces, majority submit an offer first, even on some that are BIN priced
so you either counter, accept, reject or ignore the bid.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
Hi

get quite a few "how much's"
mostly from forum members
then when i say, what's your offer?

some say shit like, "oh, uh...my offer is probably too low"
but a few have submitted decent offers, where deals were made

when i get a "how much" via email
i'll reply, what's your offer?

if they reply with offer that's too low to consider
then i'll say, "thanks, but it's too low to consider."

if they ask "what's the lowest you can sell for"?
i'll ask "what the most you can offer"

on marketplaces, majority submit an offer first, even on some that are BIN priced
so you either counter, accept, reject or ignore the bid.

imo...
Great, what from a domain legend like you.

Last edited:
•••
"I must feel satisfaction" now that sounds incredibly creepy.

To answer the question of the thread, it's best to know the price of your product and to provide a price. There's a reason why BIN listings sell more than make an offer listings. People don't like guessing or feeling like they didn't get a deal. If they have to shoot in the dark, they'll always offer less. So a price, a link to a landing page, or a price and a hint that you'll consider offers, are all good ways to go.

Last edited:
•••
It's a little out of topic, but having all BINs on AN and make offer on Dan, do you think it's a good combo?
What is MO enabled?

•••
Back