Domain Empire

news Icann Verisign comment period on .com price increase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joe Styler

Domain Academy - Senior Marketing Manager GoDaddyTop Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
I wanted to let everyone know who may not have received the email from GoDaddy yesterday about our stance on the price increase and how you can make your voice heard on the comments. The comment period is still open for another day. The proposed price increase would be 7% for 4 years.

Here is the public comment link: https://www.icann.org/public-comments/com-amendment-3-2020-01-03-en

Here is the email we sent out.

ICANN has proposed changes that could significantly impact you and your business.
Let your voice be heard.

As a large domain portfolio holder, ICANN has proposed changes that could significantly impact you and your business. ICANN has proposed an amendment to the .COM registry agreement between itself and Verisign. The proposal would allow Verisign to increase the price of .COM by up to 7% every year for the next 4 years. Since 2018, we have been actively working to raise awareness around this issue, including when GoDaddy testified before Congress in July 2018. Even now, we’re continuing to have discussions, but ultimately, we are one company. Now is the time for ICANN to hear your voice. Please take a few minutes to let ICANN know how allowing this increase will impact you in the years to come. The public comment period is open until February 14th. To be heard, use ICANN’s form to submit your personalized comments. We value your business and vow to keep advocating on your behalf.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I will never comment on any type of legal action real, imagined, future, past, perceived, etc. That would be a very bad idea for me as a non-attorney. I certainly would not comment on leading a lawsuit. So I am not planning on responding any further to this thread.

It's perfectly understandable that you can not make any public comments in regards to any legal actions taken to stop the price increases by the Registry.

We appreciate having you as a liaison between the domaining community and Godaddy and as such we would like for you to relay all the concerns expressed here on the forum about the Registry and Registrar activities and policies to the decision makers at Godaddy (and the domain Industry at large whenever possible).

I just started a new thread trying to encourage the Newbies to become Conscientious and Righteous domainers.

We will all be happy campers if we could also get the Registries, Registrars, and the ICANN itself to also become more Conscientious and Righteous. ;)

https://www.namepros.com/threads/at...conscientious-and-righteous-domainer.1177710/

IMO

•••
•••
Here is a related post that I had made in another thread:

The price increase is not the main problem here, it might even be justified if people had all the information as to whether the price increase was going to be absolutely necessary for keeping the Internet addressing and naming system and the Registrants safe and secure or whether it's going to line the pockets of certain insider people and their friends and create a more lavish lifestyle for the top people at ICANN and Verisign, the real problem is:

Lack of Transparency

Why didn't they put a mechanism in place in the original contract to account for the almost doubling of the number of .com registrations in the last few years.

Why didn't they put a mechanism in place in the original contract to account for the better and more advanced technologies such as AI that can help the registry to operate at a fraction of the cost of what it took to do the same job a few years ago.

Why are previous and even present members of ICANN allowed to advocate and lobby for the Registries instead of the Registrants, and why do so many of them even hold positions or own stocks in various Registries.

Why does ICANN refuse to be open about it's operations to the point that even the Stakeholders and Watchdog groups that have been given the authority to oversee the whole Internet naming and addressing system are denied to have access to the information regarding certain programs and decisions that ICANN even went to court to withhold from them.

Price increases are just the symptoms, the real disease is the lack of transparency that is designed to protect all the ICANN insiders and their friends.

Transparency is what is needed.

IMO

https://www.namepros.com/threads/class-action-lawsuit-against-icann.1177676/#post-7641360

•••
In my letter I mentioned the disadvantage to lower income individuals/businesses in regards to being less able to renew multiple years at the lower rate before price increases. The wealthier businesses can of course lock in 10 years on all their names at the low rate right now and see it as a decent investment.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back