IT.COM

news Icann Verisign comment period on .com price increase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joe Styler

Domain Academy - Senior Marketing Manager GoDaddyTop Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
I wanted to let everyone know who may not have received the email from GoDaddy yesterday about our stance on the price increase and how you can make your voice heard on the comments. The comment period is still open for another day. The proposed price increase would be 7% for 4 years.

Here is the public comment link: https://www.icann.org/public-comments/com-amendment-3-2020-01-03-en

Here is the email we sent out.

ICANN has proposed changes that could significantly impact you and your business.
Let your voice be heard.

As a large domain portfolio holder, ICANN has proposed changes that could significantly impact you and your business. ICANN has proposed an amendment to the .COM registry agreement between itself and Verisign. The proposal would allow Verisign to increase the price of .COM by up to 7% every year for the next 4 years. Since 2018, we have been actively working to raise awareness around this issue, including when GoDaddy testified before Congress in July 2018. Even now, we’re continuing to have discussions, but ultimately, we are one company. Now is the time for ICANN to hear your voice. Please take a few minutes to let ICANN know how allowing this increase will impact you in the years to come. The public comment period is open until February 14th. To be heard, use ICANN’s form to submit your personalized comments. We value your business and vow to keep advocating on your behalf.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

I respectfully disagree. Keith is not the only person who wants higher regs, or doesn't care. I think $1,000 is way out there, but one commenter mentioned $100.

Others own Verisign and don't have a problem with increases. The biggest misconception I have seen over the years is everyone thinks we are all on the same team. The same agenda and same end goal. Simply not true. Many people own domain names and invest/trade for different reasons.

•••
I wanted to let everyone know who may not have received the email from GoDaddy yesterday about our stance on the price increase and how you can make your voice heard on the comments. The comment period is still open for another day. The proposed price increase would be 7% for 4 years.

Here is the public comment link: https://www.icann.org/public-comments/com-amendment-3-2020-01-03-en

Here is the email we sent out.

ICANN has proposed changes that could significantly impact you and your business.
Let your voice be heard.

As a large domain portfolio holder, ICANN has proposed changes that could significantly impact you and your business. ICANN has proposed an amendment to the .COM registry agreement between itself and Verisign. The proposal would allow Verisign to increase the price of .COM by up to 7% every year for the next 4 years. Since 2018, we have been actively working to raise awareness around this issue, including when GoDaddy testified before Congress in July 2018. Even now, we’re continuing to have discussions, but ultimately, we are one company. Now is the time for ICANN to hear your voice. Please take a few minutes to let ICANN know how allowing this increase will impact you in the years to come. The public comment period is open until February 14th. To be heard, use ICANN’s form to submit your personalized comments. We value your business and vow to keep advocating on your behalf.
Does anyone know when the price of .com might be increased by the 7% will it be next month?

•••
@Daniel Owens .. They need to give at least 6 months notice. Plus they can't until Oct 26th 2020. That being said, I don't think it has to be on Oct 26th, just that it would be allowed any time after that.

"Under the amended Cooperative Agreement, the Department of Commerce noted that the domain name marketplace had grown more dynamic and concluded that it was in the public interest that, among other things, Verisign and ICANN may agree to amend the .COM Registry Agreement to permit an increase to the price for .COM registry services, up to a maximum of 7 percent in each of the final four years of each six-year period (the first six-year period commenced on Oct. 26, 2018)."

- https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2020-01-03-en

•••
I scratch my head, because i find it hard for you to be able to be so concerned about ...

GD's NameFind portfolio (y)

•••
•••
ICANN had all the cards in their hands. They should have stuck to their guns. The next contract should be on the same terms as the old contract. if not. We go to Open Tender. Now that's not too difficult to understand. Is it?

•••
As long as you reduce the yearly membership fees for the Domain Discount Club to something more reasonable like around $49.00 dollars and as long as you include free domain privacy and Auction membership for those who are DDC members then I believe that more domainers will be happy with GoDaddy.

The important thing is to put customer satisfaction, loyalty, and retention above extracting the maximum amount of dollars possible from the domaining community. This also applies to the excessive marketplace fees and commissions.

Telling people to go somewhere else if they don't like it does not fit very well with Godaddy's stated goal of empowering the masses through owning domains and websites.

IMO
I said there is an option to go elsewhere but I would stay at GoDaddy. The question wasn't where you should go but why is there a difference in pricing at the registry vs registrar level. The difference is options. One has them one doesn't. That is my personal opinion which is I believe what was asked.

•••
This is the thing in 2020 you have more domain options than ever if you are a new business.

if .com is not your thing, there are hundreds of other extensions, 90% of them are vacant, given new gtld extensions were meant to take pressure off .com, there is no barrier of entry to owning a domain, and if someone wants to throw away $10 to register a garbage domain, so be it, there is no real cost in registering that name In regards to physical factors, simply a digital footprint.

Given there are more choices than ever, technology has brought optimization of operations to the lowest point, why are prices going up, when infinite supply is out there in so many extensions, and more coming.

Essentially a handful of people, are stacking the deck in their favor, in order to affect millions of people with no real reason. Verisign encouraged domainers to register more domains, and provided the tools to do it. They can’t have it both ways.

Last edited:
•••
My comments finally got posted ...

============ Submitted Comment ============

ICANN Proposed Amendment #3 is Censorship on the World, a Threat to Democracy and Strengthens a Monopoly

Dear Members, Board Members, Employees and Advisors of ICANN,

I write to you today in hopes to make you aware of the potential damage your Proposed Amendment #3 will do to the Internet Community as a whole, as well as to all the citizens of the world. Before doing so, I feel I need to quote something to serve as a reminder some of you seem to have forgotten:

"In performing its Mission, ICANN must operate in a manner consistent with these Bylaws for the benefit of the Internet community as a whole” - ICANN BYLAWS 1.2a (First Sentence)

While your proposal to allow the raising of .com pricing 31% from $7.85 USD to $10.26 USD might not seem like much, I specifically specified “USD” to stress the fact that for the majority of the people you are charged to represent, almost any price in “USD” is already a challenging sum to accrue.

Yet many people still pay what is a sizeable fee to them, because establishing themselves on a .com domain finally gives them a global voice, a planetary platform, a megaphone to the world; from which they can share information and ideas to improve their quality of life; or their political situation in the case of the oppressed or those who do not benefit from the same legal rights and freedoms of those in the nations where $7.85 seems insignificant; or even develop businesses from which the brightest entrepreneurs in the world can empower themselves to economic freedom for themselves, their families and communities while offering helpful goods and/or services to be benefited from by the rest of the world.

In fact, it would be wrong for me to even try to list all the possible ways in which a globally understood Domain Name can benefit an individual, a community, a society or even humanity as a whole. Such a list could never actually be complete specifically because of the grandiose scale of imagination and diversity of thought throughout our shared planet.

With regards to ANY increase in costs to .com domains, it is imperative that you understand that by allowing such increases to continue, you are removing the abilities of some to continue to have and share their voices, ideas and visions. What you would in fact be doing is censorship against the citizens of the world rather than helping those without a voice to finally have one. It would also be a threat to democracy in the cases where people struggle to share crucial information or their own ideas, and then go on to debate and challenge the status quo in hopes for something better.

The foundational premise of the internet is to help bring every citizen of the world together, as such we should be fighting to remove and reduce the barriers to access in each and every way possible, with one of the most notable being the cost of having a voice, the cost of being relevant, the cost of sharing an idea, information, a vision, a concept, a project or any of another countless things from which the rest of humanity can learn or grow from.

Beyond that, while clearly the pricing increases within Proposed Amendment #3 will be harmful to the people you are pledge to serve and protect, the “Internet Community” is still in growth. Also to be considered are not just the people currently with a .com domain who might no longer be able to afford the current global recognition thanks to having a .com domain; but also those who at $7.85 per year are already priced out of having such a voice. By implementing Proposed Amendment #3 you are effectively ignoring the voices of those who are currently unheard; of those who for whom having a global voice isn’t even possible now. By allowing the increasing of prices you would be diminishing their voices even more, sadly rendering them effectively meaningless because nobody will ever get a chance to listen to what they have to say.

With private enterprise creating and operating ngTLD registries, I personally don’t mind them seeing them used and even priced based on different priorities. Some of such TLDs have great potential to improve the Internet.

HOWEVER .. It should be very clear that there be a foundation of the Domain System and a minimum catalogue of TLDs available to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, location and fiscal capacity. By far the biggest and most significant of such TLDs is the .com TLD, of which there is currently no match and no realistic alternative.

While the current partially private structure within which the .com TLD is set up indeed has certain basic costs that cannot be ignored; the current .com steward, Verisign, is one of the most profitable companies in the world when it comes cost:profit and employees:profit ratios. The term “Cash Cow” is one regularly used when discussing the fiscal strength and success of Verisign. While all companies should strive to remain profitable, in this specific case it needs to be VERY clear that any unreasonable profits made by verisign, comes at the cost of censorship upon the least fortunate people in the world. Please do not forget that fact, and do not ignore your mandate to serve the ENTIRE global community.

ICANN should not and cannot simply ignore the facts and numbers, as those numbers prove that there is zero necessity or need to increase prices and therefore further incapacitate a larger portion of global citizens from acquiring a .com domain, one of the strongest globally recognised platforms in human history.

Furthermore, not only should any potential .com pricing increases be removed from Proposed Amendment #3, but if indeed ICANN were truly concerned with ALL the people they are mandated to represent, they should end the monopolistic and anti-competitive nature of the .com TLD and open the .com registry to actual competition via a bidding process.

This is not to say that the secure and stable history of the .com TLD under Verisign’s stewardship should be completely dismissed, nor that it shouldn’t even be given a premium versus other potential bidders. But without any real competition and a complete and fully transparent costing analysis of the operations of the .com registry, ANY increase in pricing in any way given the ever continuing reductions in technology costs is quite simply absurd.

In the end I implore you to think of the millions and eventually potentially billions of people that WILL BE harmed if .com domains allowed to go up in price … and remember that it’s those very billions of people that ICANN is supposed to represent.

Thank you for time and giving these comments the full consideration they deserve. If you have any questions or would like any clarifications, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Yes! Very well done. And congrats for the comment, it's a very good one!!

It has finally been published, along with 35 other comments that have been also published.
So finally have been 9,033 comments against the .com price increase.

Last edited:
•••
My comments finally got posted ...

============ Submitted Comment ============

ICANN Proposed Amendment #3 is Censorship on the World, a Threat to Democracy and Strengthens a Monopoly

Dear Members, Board Members, Employees and Advisors of ICANN,

I write to you today in hopes to make you aware of the potential damage your Proposed Amendment #3 will do to the Internet Community as a whole, as well as to all the citizens of the world. Before doing so, I feel I need to quote something to serve as a reminder some of you seem to have forgotten:

"In performing its Mission, ICANN must operate in a manner consistent with these Bylaws for the benefit of the Internet community as a whole” - ICANN BYLAWS 1.2a (First Sentence)

While your proposal to allow the raising of .com pricing 31% from $7.85 USD to $10.26 USD might not seem like much, I specifically specified “USD” to stress the fact that for the majority of the people you are charged to represent, almost any price in “USD” is already a challenging sum to accrue.

Yet many people still pay what is a sizeable fee to them, because establishing themselves on a .com domain finally gives them a global voice, a planetary platform, a megaphone to the world; from which they can share information and ideas to improve their quality of life; or their political situation in the case of the oppressed or those who do not benefit from the same legal rights and freedoms of those in the nations where $7.85 seems insignificant; or even develop businesses from which the brightest entrepreneurs in the world can empower themselves to economic freedom for themselves, their families and communities while offering helpful goods and/or services to be benefited from by the rest of the world.

In fact, it would be wrong for me to even try to list all the possible ways in which a globally understood Domain Name can benefit an individual, a community, a society or even humanity as a whole. Such a list could never actually be complete specifically because of the grandiose scale of imagination and diversity of thought throughout our shared planet.

With regards to ANY increase in costs to .com domains, it is imperative that you understand that by allowing such increases to continue, you are removing the abilities of some to continue to have and share their voices, ideas and visions. What you would in fact be doing is censorship against the citizens of the world rather than helping those without a voice to finally have one. It would also be a threat to democracy in the cases where people struggle to share crucial information or their own ideas, and then go on to debate and challenge the status quo in hopes for something better.

The foundational premise of the internet is to help bring every citizen of the world together, as such we should be fighting to remove and reduce the barriers to access in each and every way possible, with one of the most notable being the cost of having a voice, the cost of being relevant, the cost of sharing an idea, information, a vision, a concept, a project or any of another countless things from which the rest of humanity can learn or grow from.

Beyond that, while clearly the pricing increases within Proposed Amendment #3 will be harmful to the people you are pledge to serve and protect, the “Internet Community” is still in growth. Also to be considered are not just the people currently with a .com domain who might no longer be able to afford the current global recognition thanks to having a .com domain; but also those who at $7.85 per year are already priced out of having such a voice. By implementing Proposed Amendment #3 you are effectively ignoring the voices of those who are currently unheard; of those who for whom having a global voice isn’t even possible now. By allowing the increasing of prices you would be diminishing their voices even more, sadly rendering them effectively meaningless because nobody will ever get a chance to listen to what they have to say.

With private enterprise creating and operating ngTLD registries, I personally don’t mind them seeing them used and even priced based on different priorities. Some of such TLDs have great potential to improve the Internet.

HOWEVER .. It should be very clear that there be a foundation of the Domain System and a minimum catalogue of TLDs available to anyone and everyone, regardless of race, location and fiscal capacity. By far the biggest and most significant of such TLDs is the .com TLD, of which there is currently no match and no realistic alternative.

While the current partially private structure within which the .com TLD is set up indeed has certain basic costs that cannot be ignored; the current .com steward, Verisign, is one of the most profitable companies in the world when it comes cost:profit and employees:profit ratios. The term “Cash Cow” is one regularly used when discussing the fiscal strength and success of Verisign. While all companies should strive to remain profitable, in this specific case it needs to be VERY clear that any unreasonable profits made by verisign, comes at the cost of censorship upon the least fortunate people in the world. Please do not forget that fact, and do not ignore your mandate to serve the ENTIRE global community.

ICANN should not and cannot simply ignore the facts and numbers, as those numbers prove that there is zero necessity or need to increase prices and therefore further incapacitate a larger portion of global citizens from acquiring a .com domain, one of the strongest globally recognised platforms in human history.

Furthermore, not only should any potential .com pricing increases be removed from Proposed Amendment #3, but if indeed ICANN were truly concerned with ALL the people they are mandated to represent, they should end the monopolistic and anti-competitive nature of the .com TLD and open the .com registry to actual competition via a bidding process.

This is not to say that the secure and stable history of the .com TLD under Verisign’s stewardship should be completely dismissed, nor that it shouldn’t even be given a premium versus other potential bidders. But without any real competition and a complete and fully transparent costing analysis of the operations of the .com registry, ANY increase in pricing in any way given the ever continuing reductions in technology costs is quite simply absurd.

In the end I implore you to think of the millions and eventually potentially billions of people that WILL BE harmed if .com domains allowed to go up in price … and remember that it’s those very billions of people that ICANN is supposed to represent.

Thank you for time and giving these comments the full consideration they deserve. If you have any questions or would like any clarifications, please do not hesitate to reach out.

I hope ICANN will listen to the user's proposal, .com

•••
Two easy ways to make sure your voice is heard are:

1. The Internet Commerce Association has made submitting comments easy at https://www.internetcommerce.org/comment-com/
  2. Send an email directly to [email protected] with your thoughts on prices being raised.

Making comments and sending emails is just a waste of time, these people are going to keep doing what they do until they are stopped by a higher force.

So if you are going to send any emails I would suggest sending it to those who have the authority to hold those ICANN insiders legally accountable for racketeering.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
@GeorgeK

George, comments don't seem to work. Why not talk towards a class action litigation?

•••
If godaddy protests it’s because they want to keep low prices for their bottom line. More registrations equal more revenue.
They have a lot of their own renewals too :xf.smile:

•••
There is some logic to what you are saying, but they could instead pass a law that limits the number of domains each person can register and that will achieve the same results as you want. (and or license those who want to be domainers)

IMO
Good point!

•••
•••
Give it some years with a $1000 price tag and let's see how fast .com will get dethroned.
Nah.

As it stands, people want to hoard domains and ask ridiculous prices. If they can only afford to keep half of their domains, the rest go back into the pool at a standard rate. It could actually build .com, not destroy it.

•••
•••
It says a name and email are required in order to comment.

Your email address will not be published.Required fields are marked *

Comment

Yes as in every other blog in the world, you are not registering for an account. No username and password.

•••
Yes as in every other blog in the world, you are not registering for an account. No username and password.
Hello Sir. In my opinion that comment was not worth to be publised at tldinvestors.com

The comment does not deserve even a place in this thread, not to mention in tldinvestors.com

Last edited:
•••
I respectfully disagree. Keith is not the only person who wants higher regs, or doesn't care. I think $1,000 is way out there, but one commenter mentioned $100.
Again, I was just throwing out a number for a different point of view. $100 would seem fair though.

•••
Again, I was just throwing out a number for a different point of view. $100 would seem fair though.

I did point out to the commenter that he was wrong, he came back telling me no I was wrong, but with the additional info he left, I see he meant @Keith DeBoer which I pointed out to him was not you.

•••
I did point out to the commenter that he was wrong, he came back telling me no I was wrong, but with the additional info he left, I see he meant @Keith DeBoer which I pointed out to him was not you.
Thanks, that’s not the first time we’ve been confused and probably won’t be the last.

•••
Does anyone know when the price of .com might be increased by the 7% will it be next month?

If ... not before late April 2020 to be anounced

•••
Does anyone know the approximate time period until we will have some statement from ICANN on the input they received and their final decision?

Bob

ps re open tender, @stub, as I understand it that would need to have been done by the US Commerce Dept. at the initial stage. I could be wrong. I think ICANN role is one of review, but they do not view the awarding of the contract as their responsibility.

The problem with this structure is nobody is responsible. ICANN has been basically negotiating with only half the options on the table (ie: no open tender). Whose decision was that? And when they pass their report onto the US Commerce Dept, ICANN wipe their hands clean, and the US Commerce Dept just accept ICANN's recommendations, as being the experts who negotiated the deal. So in the end. Not the people who negotiated the deal, neither the people signing the contract, both walk away pointing fingers at each other when things go sour, and the US are stuck with a bad deal. Can you imagine the US Commerce Dept ever saying to ICANN. Why didn't you negotiate any Open Tender for this contract? Go back and try again, with an Open Tender :) or maybe it should be :(

Who else in the entire world doesn't think Open Tendering ISN'T the fairest way to negotiate "government" contracts. It's almost corrupt to not use Open Tendering. This has been a corrupt process almost from the beginning.

This is what makes it a done deal. IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
This is the 1% effect, they got to the right people, to get them to turn their backs, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to gain influence.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back