Dynadot

news Icann Verisign comment period on .com price increase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joe Styler

Aftermarket Product ManagerTop Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
I wanted to let everyone know who may not have received the email from GoDaddy yesterday about our stance on the price increase and how you can make your voice heard on the comments. The comment period is still open for another day. The proposed price increase would be 7% for 4 years.

Here is the public comment link: https://www.icann.org/public-comments/com-amendment-3-2020-01-03-en

Here is the email we sent out.

ICANN has proposed changes that could significantly impact you and your business.
Let your voice be heard.

As a large domain portfolio holder, ICANN has proposed changes that could significantly impact you and your business. ICANN has proposed an amendment to the .COM registry agreement between itself and Verisign. The proposal would allow Verisign to increase the price of .COM by up to 7% every year for the next 4 years. Since 2018, we have been actively working to raise awareness around this issue, including when GoDaddy testified before Congress in July 2018. Even now, we’re continuing to have discussions, but ultimately, we are one company. Now is the time for ICANN to hear your voice. Please take a few minutes to let ICANN know how allowing this increase will impact you in the years to come. The public comment period is open until February 14th. To be heard, use ICANN’s form to submit your personalized comments. We value your business and vow to keep advocating on your behalf.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Joe, can you paste the direct link of the site/page here where one can make the comments?

•••
•••
I like the idea of an increase. In fact, it should cost a fortune to hold an asset, where there’s only one in the world.

It’s not advantageous for big registrars but higher prices keep people honest!

•••
I wanted to let everyone know who may not have received the email from GoDaddy yesterday about our stance on the price increase and how you can make your voice heard on the comments. The comment period is still open for another day. The proposed price increase would be 7% for 4 years.

Here is the public comment link: https://www.icann.org/public-comments/com-amendment-3-2020-01-03-en

Here is the email we sent out.

ICANN has proposed changes that could significantly impact you and your business.
Let your voice be heard.

As a large domain portfolio holder, ICANN has proposed changes that could significantly impact you and your business. ICANN has proposed an amendment to the .COM registry agreement between itself and Verisign. The proposal would allow Verisign to increase the price of .COM by up to 7% every year for the next 4 years. Since 2018, we have been actively working to raise awareness around this issue, including when GoDaddy testified before Congress in July 2018. Even now, we’re continuing to have discussions, but ultimately, we are one company. Now is the time for ICANN to hear your voice. Please take a few minutes to let ICANN know how allowing this increase will impact you in the years to come. The public comment period is open until February 14th. To be heard, use ICANN’s form to submit your personalized comments. We value your business and vow to keep advocating on your behalf.

Let's drop the pretense.

Is GoDaddy going to lead a class action lawsuit?

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Styler Why doesn't Godaddy throw a lawsuit on this case? As the largest revenue source for both ICANN and Verisign there is surely a case to be made.

Sure, comments are good. That is they create a "feel good" moment, but anyone believing ICANN will listen to the comments is kidding themselves.

•••
@Joe Styler Why doesn't Godaddy throw a lawsuit on this case? As the largest revenue source for both ICANN and Verisign there is surely a case to be made.

Sure, comments are good. That is they create a "feel good" moment, but anyone believing ICANN will listen to the comments is kidding themselves.

Agree.

•••

If godaddy protests it’s because they want to keep low prices for their bottom line. More registrations equal more revenue.

At this stage, .com should be $1,000 a year to hold. It would actually build the internet enduser base and create real content. The days of holding loads of domains hostage should come to an end imo.

•••
@Joe Styler

The email GoDaddy should have sent is an announcement of a class action lawsuit, with a link for financial contributions towards it.

Are you diffusing the outrage of this robbery?

•••
Thank you Joe for creating the Thread. Only one day left.

Guys, I hope all of you comment against the increase of the .com Registry price.

At least if you don't want to pay more and more every year.
I think this is the least we can do.

https://www.internetcommerce.org/comment-com/

https://www.icann.org/public-comments/com-amendment-3-2020-01-03-en/mail_form

You just have to send an email to them.

Say that you are against the price increase and give some reasons.

No one other than Verisign want increases in .COM prices.
The current rate of $7.85 is already far more than justified.
Verisign is merely your manager of the .COM Registry – it has no business dictating the price.
ICANN is supposed to govern the domain name system in the public interest.
Verisign already makes $1 billion in gross profit annually so the proposed .COM price increase is purely based on greed.
Other registries have said that they could run the .COM contract for much less.

8,618 people have already sent an email to them.

Last edited:
•••
I have finally submitted my comment, and urge others to do so. @Sutruk has made good points in his post just above.

Who knows if it will have an impact on the decision. It was certainly disappointing how ICANN not only ignored but referred to as spam the huge number of comments left in the earlier discussion, but I wonder if this time might be different with it seems almost all of the registrars urging responses.

The essential issue as I see it is not that a .com registration is not worth 7% more, but rather the issue of whether Verisign, the caretaker but not the creator of the value of the .com TLD, deserve an increase when even their current price is so different than actual costs, and there was no competitive bid.

Bob

•••
I have finally submitted my comment, and urge others to do so. @Sutruk has made good points in his post just above.

Who knows if it will have an impact on the decision. It was certainly disappointing how ICANN not only ignored but referred to as spam the huge number of comments left in the earlier discussion, but I wonder if this time might be different with it seems almost all of the registrars urging responses.

The essential issue as I see it is not that a .com registration is not worth 7% more, but rather the issue of whether Verisign, the caretaker but not the creator of the value of the .com TLD, deserve an increase when even their current price is so different than actual costs, and there was no competitive bid.

Bob
Thanks Bob. I knew you couldn't stand still on this matter. Every comment counts.
In fact, everybody in this forum should send an email and comment there.
At least if you have a .com

•••
Thanks Bob. I knew you couldn't stand still on this matter. Every comment counts.
In fact, everybody in this forum should send an email and comment there.
At least if you have a .com

Just did

•••
•••
"At this stage, .com should be $1,000 a year to hold."

PLEASE tell me from what dispensary you acquire your medical marijuana...I will be moving within walking distance immediately! :xf.smile:

edit: sorry, got so excited I forgot to activate the quote!

Last edited:
•••
Mailed them, remind you the price is for all, not just for domainer, it apply even to poor person from undeveloped country who have ambition to start something online or to use it improve the people life in his/her country.

The money we pay don't go to any non profit but for profit company, if they increase, they should justify it by open auction of who going to run the .com server not give the billion of dollars to one company without any fair market practice :) .

•••
Thanks Joe...

Last edited:
•••
•••
At this stage, .com should be $1,000 a year to hold. It would actually build the internet enduser base and create real content. The days of holding loads of domains hostage should come to an end imo.

You mistake the end-user base for solely consisting of domainers and companies.

It's a very common mistake though so understandable.

•••
Stopping the price increases is not enough, the registry prices actually have to go down for .com

The original .com contract and its subsequent amendments have been conceived and implemented under dubious arrangements and are contrarary to the ICANN mission of protecting the public interest as there was no mechanism put into place to account for the almost doubling of the total number of .com domains in the past few years.

This whole situation has to be investigated as to how a few ICANN insiders and their friends have falsely justified the registry base price to begin with. In reality the registry price for .com at its current volume of registered domains should not be more than 2 or 3 dollars and would actually be more fair if it was at $1.95 .

With all the advancements in technology the cost of maintaining the .com registry does not justify the $7.85 price specially as the total number of .com domains keeps increasing steadily and so this makes this more like an arbitrary tax that is being forced on the registrants by the registry without providing anything of value and substance in return beyond their minimum requirements.

It seems that this whole thing is designed to serve the interest of a few ICANN insiders and their friends and not the interest of the registrants and the public at large.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Two easy ways to make sure your voice is heard are:

1. The Internet Commerce Association has made submitting comments easy at https://www.internetcommerce.org/comment-com/
  2. Send an email directly to [email protected] with your thoughts on prices being raised.

email I sent 2 days ago:
[email protected]

icann 2.png

•••
Two easy ways to make sure your voice is heard are:

1. The Internet Commerce Association has made submitting comments easy at https://www.internetcommerce.org/comment-com/
  2. Send an email directly to [email protected] with your thoughts on prices being raised.

Making comments and sending emails is just a waste of time, these people are going to keep doing what they do until they are stopped by a higher force.

So if you are going to send any emails I would suggest sending it to those who have the authority to hold those ICANN insiders legally accountable for racketeering.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
@GeorgeK

George, comments don't seem to work. Why not talk towards a class action litigation?

•••
Making comments and sending emails is just a waste of time, these people are going to keep doing what they do until they are stopped by a higher force.

So if you are going to send any emails I would suggest sending it to those who have the authority to hold those ICANN insiders legally accountable for racketeering.

IMO

IMO
Thank you for the advice.
at least I do something even if the effect is small, or not at all.
compared to me just shut up and not do something.

•••
Back