IT.COM

I used code COMPROS on Spaceship.com and instantly regretted it.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DrewParsap

Impact
Hi,

Long time lurker; first time poster. I've never had enough to say that warranted creating an account, but I always come here for domain news, educational discussions around domains, and registrar reviews. This website is how I found Sedo, Encirca, Namecheap, etc so many years ago.

Today, I visited Namepros since I hadn't in about a year, saw the Spaceship banner and figured using the code COMPROS would be a nice way to give back to the community since I would probably never make an account. That's exactly what I did less than an hour ago.

I understand the service is still in beta, but this is pretty absurd to say the least. Here's what happened.

8:50 p.m - Created an account, selected a domain, used COMPROS, added hosting, checked out for less than $3, closed my laptop and laid down for the night. I wake up at 4 a.m so this is my norm. I planned on waking up and truly evaluating the service with a fresh set of eyes.

8:54 p.m - Missed call since I was laying down and clearly not expecting a call.

8:55 p.m - Answered call on last ring to hear somebody say "This is {insert name from Spaceship}" and in absolute shock, I said "No way, call back at a reasonable hour."

8:55 p.m - A new email arrives with the subject title "Your Spaceship.com account has been temporarily locked" from a no reply type of email address and to send an email to a different address if I wanted help.

It was clearly retaliatory for not wanting talk after hours for an upsell after making a small purchase.

They then attempt to force a phone call, provide them with a code from my billing statement, or provide a picture I.D.

Infuriated and tired at this point, I walk back downstairs to my office, provide the billing statement details and wait.

About 24 minutes later my account is unlocked with some excuse about providing accurate information, but if the information wasn't accurate then they wouldn't have been able to call me in the first place and call me by my first name. It's just an excuse.

The rest of the information entered is the same information we've been using for all company accounts for the past 10 years, but apparently that's not good enough or something? Cool.

Then I go through this cheesy "Unboxing" process that happens after you purchase your domain and it gives you the option to select free email (not email forwarding) free for one year and has subtext that says it comes free with hosting, i selected that, clicked next, and guess what? It didn't apply. Hosting did, SSL did, but email didn't.

I then go through their interface to try and add it and now it's attempting to charge for it.

I ask support about this and they ask for a screenshot. Like yeah, let me get into my time machine, go back, and take a screenshot back before I knew it wasn't going to work. I'll get right on that.

25 minutes after that they tell me to complete the exact same steps that lead me to asking the chat support for help with the email issue.

At this point, I asked them to just go ahead and cancel the hosting. They offer a stripped down version of cPanel in order to try to upsell you on different services like emails under the guise of "Connections".

I'm good on that. I have most of my domains with Encirca and I guess I'm going to keep it that way.

I'll transfer the domain away from Spaceship asap and be done with them for good.

Who knows what other nonsense they would pull if I purchase a domain for $1k - $7k like I normally do.

I factually can't even imagine. 0/5 stars.

Either way - I would love to donate to Namepros somehow before I vanish back onto the internet.

Can someone provide a link for that?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Upgrade your account to Gold or whatever the higher tier is

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back