IT.COM

question I sell much more on Sedo than Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,

These days I sell more on sedo than afternic.
Before it was around 90% on afternic and 10% on sedo, but now it's maybe 70% on sedo and 30% afternic.

Any idea ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
c) moon phases OR solar eclipses

It's definitely related to the lunar cycle, solar flares and stellar alignments!

Looks like aliens got into the domain business.

•••
That's interesting to know even though you aren't using Sedo landers.

I'm using Afternic landers and make rarely a sale through Sedo compared to Afternic. Currently having 7,800+ domains listed at both platforms with BIN pricing.
7800+ domains ? 🤯😯 that's a lot. I'm impressed each day more in the domain space.

•••
Hello,

Before it was around 90% on afternic and 10% on sedo, but now it's maybe 70% on sedo and 30% afternic.

Any idea ?
Are you using the new Sl1/sl2 landers? Supposedly these landers have better compatibility with different device platforms. That could expand the potential buyer audience significantly.

And are your prices lower on Sedo compared to Afternic? Perhaps potential buyers are getting wiser about checking Sedo for domain offers, realizing the prices may be lower thanks to the lower commissions.

And, since Namecheap appears to be getting to be a good Sedo partner, perhaps they are starting to put efforts into promoting these sales? After all, there is likely some decent profits to be made by them.

For myself, Afternic is now 3 sales this past year, compared to 1 at Sedo. The one at Sedo was admittedly a very low bid and is now up for resale by the new buyer. By contrast, Afternic's three sales were for reasonably good prices (IMHO), and at least two purchases were by end-users. A Fast-transfer sale this past week went very smoothly, with quick payment. So, for me, Afternic is getting more impressive results, possibly with more serious buyers.

Overall, I'm delighted to hear that you are finding success on the Sedo marketplace. Hopefully, we'll start seeing more folks on Namepros with similar happy reports.

Last edited:
•••
Hello,

Any idea ?

Weird. For me, for past two month, e.g., only 3% came from Sedo.

It used to be more, but, it seems, Namecheap stopped prioritizing Sedo over Afternic?

•••
around $500

Well, we have completely different pricing strategies. So that could explain the discrepancy. My prices are mostly 5x higher. In August I had 4 Sedo sales and only 1 for Sept/October. For comparison, Sept/October I have sold 31 domains for $xxxx each.

•••
Are you using the new Sl1/sl2 landers? Supposedly these landers have better compatibility with different device platforms. That could expand the potential buyer audience significantly.

And are your prices lower on Sedo compared to Afternic? Perhaps potential buyers are getting wiser about checking Sedo for domain offers, realizing the prices may be lower thanks to the lower commissions.

And, since Namecheap appears to be getting to be a good Sedo partner, perhaps they are starting to put efforts into promoting these sales? After all, there is likely some decent profits to be made by them.

For myself, Afternic is now 3 sales this past year, compared to 1 at Sedo. The one at Sedo was admittedly a very low bid and is now up for resale by the new buyer. By contrast, Afternic's three sales were for reasonably good prices (IMHO), and at least two purchases were by end-users. A Fast-transfer sale this past week went very smoothly, with quick payment. So, for me, Afternic is getting more impressive results, possibly with more serious buyers.

Overall, I'm delighted to hear that you are finding success on the Sedo marketplace. Hopefully, we'll start seeing more folks on Namepros with similar happy reports.
no sedo landers, i only use dan and never made a split test with sedo landers as for me there is no benefits using it instead of dan.

same price on sedo and afternic (except currency change eur/usd)

I think that namecheap promoted something, maybe they sent an emailing to their customer who searched domains on their form last months... selling many domains over sedo/namecheap within a very few day is not normal...

•••
Another guess: Do you use Sedo MLS instead of Afternics Fast Transfer Services?

•••
•••
No, it is sedo normal and afternic fast transfer
You might be right about the Namecheap connection. My last sale involved a domain that I had up for sale for almost a year. I had transferred it to Namecheap about six months ago. It sold on Aftenic FT this past week, and now is pointed to the Sedo broker services.
Perhaps it's possible Namecheap is being more aggressive about helping to sell listings in general, and perhaps even more so for the Sedo marketplace?

•••
I sell tons through Afternic, and Squadhelp. I sold a name (500 listed there) at Sedo about 10 years ago, and then...just a few weeks ago. So, with Sedo I can say once every ten years. Hopefully, my next Sedo name will sell BEFORE the year 2032. I am dumbfounded on the high end sales that happen there all the time. I am not super impressed by the circa 1996 landing pages and cringe when I see them. But, somehow this works for some people. I would really like to know the secret.

•••
Sedo better for country code domains, Afternic better for COM etc

•••
By the end I think, these 2 first sales were made before changind dns to afternic, as after, i saw that when i put price requests on my domains first 10 price requested were made from the part that staid on dan, not on bodis landers.

I dont play powerbal, look to this screenshot of my last sedo sales, you'll see these days, something changed : https://prnt.sc/bTYwnwG83lMV
near to all last sales were with sedo/namecheap

.com

As I said, normally, it's around 1 sale on sedo for 10 sales on afternic. (my landers are on dan)

I think the key fact that everyone is skipping over is your pricing. You mentioned that you are selling domains for $500. Most people are not selling domains for $500. Take away the registration costs, renewal costs, time spent researching the names, acquisition costs, managing costs, taxes, etc and it makes very little sense to sell for $500 or even $1,500. Especially when you are considering the fact that a business is gaining an asset, a brand, a virtual office, etc.

Regardless, given the economic uncertainty, sales in the lower pricing tiers are increasing. So people may not jump on that $x,xxx or $xx,xxx domain as quickly, but a $xxx is not much of a risk for them. Additionally, there is always an increase of bigger investors taking advantage of people underpricing their assets. So when the economy is down, those cheap assets get bought up quicker than those that are priced higher. Just basic economy.

Why is this happening in Sedo for you more than Afternic? I have no idea. But my guess is that Sedo has a better system to browse for names than afternic does. For the most part, Afternic names are getting discovered through type-ins. Where in Sedo, there's a small chance someone is using their search.

Personally, during the last 5-10 years of using Sedo, I have seen no results. Everything from their Great Auctions to their regular listings has been a complete waste of time for me.

•••
I think the key fact that everyone is skipping over is your pricing. You mentioned that you are selling domains for $500. Most people are not selling domains for $500. Take away the registration costs, renewal costs, time spent researching the names, acquisition costs, managing costs, taxes, etc and it makes very little sense to sell for $500 or even $1,500. Especially when you are considering the fact that a business is gaining an asset, a brand, a virtual office, etc.

Regardless, given the economic uncertainty, sales in the lower pricing tiers are increasing. So people may not jump on that $x,xxx or $xx,xxx domain as quickly, but a $xxx is not much of a risk for them. Additionally, there is always an increase of bigger investors taking advantage of people underpricing their assets. So when the economy is down, those cheap assets get bought up quicker than those that are priced higher. Just basic economy.

Why is this happening in Sedo for you more than Afternic? I have no idea. But my guess is that Sedo has a better system to browse for names than afternic does. For the most part, Afternic names are getting discovered through type-ins. Where in Sedo, there's a small chance someone is using their search.

Personally, during the last 5-10 years of using Sedo, I have seen no results. Everything from their Great Auctions to their regular listings has been a complete waste of time for me.
I never said that I sell domains for $500, i said that $500 is my average selling price.
I begin a split test for landers between dan and sedo. I should have results within a few days as I can see with sedo if sales comes from partners or landers.

Last edited:
•••
I never said that I sell domains for $500, i said that $500 is my average selling price.
I begin a split test for landers between dan and sedo. I should have results within a few days as I can see with sedo if sales comes from partners or landers.

My mistake, but even for an average - that is 5X less than the industry average. Which is $2,500.

•••
I sell tons through Afternic, and Squadhelp. I sold a name (500 listed there) at Sedo about 10 years ago, and then...just a few weeks ago. So, with Sedo I can say once every ten years. Hopefully, my next Sedo name will sell BEFORE the year 2032. I am dumbfounded on the high end sales that happen there all the time. I am not super impressed by the circa 1996 landing pages and cringe when I see them. But, somehow this works for some people. I would really like to know the secret.
Thank you for sharing this very interesting perspective.
Were the domains listed at Afternic also listed at Sedo throughout those 10 years? And were the prices similar on each marketplace? And where did you have the landers?

Ten years is a long time to wait for a sale on a marketplace....
For myself, I decided to give them a serious try again, now that they are touting those sl1/2 landers. I've only had one sale in one year with them, though. From what you are saying, I'm really having second thoughts about that strategy.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for sharing this very interesting perspective.
Were the domains listed at Afternic also listed at Sedo throughout those 10 years? And were the prices similar on each marketplace? And where did you have the landers?

Ten years is a long time to wait for a sale on a marketplace....
For myself, I decided to give them a serious try again, now that they are touting those sl1/2 landers. I've only had one sale in one year with them, though. From what you are saying, I'm really having second thoughts about that strategy.
Yeah, happy to share any results good or bad. I had the landers going to Afternic or Uni or Dan - switching them around. So Sedo did not have the benefit of the free incoming leads. Yes, they were the same prices. But to be fair, tons of high end domains sell on Sedo. I just don't know how that is. And, some people get most of their sales from Sedo. I assume due them having the landers. I tried years ago to use Sedo landers but got nothing there in months, switched to Afternic and got a bunch of sales, so didn't want to go back to Sedo.

I didn't even bother listing new names there, but after my recent sale, imported a couple hundred new names and updated pricing. I will see if that helps. I just got a less than 1% of value offer this morning on an unpriced high end name. I do respond to most crap offers, as one out of one hundred are actually serious, but I have chased down great sales from stupid offers.

I would simply try their landers for a few months and see what happens. Good luck.

•••
Another sale sedo/namecheap , there is definitely something strange
Do you list your names with Buy it now only or you add best offer option too? Or you list names with best offer option only?

•••
But to be fair, tons of high end domains sell on Sedo. I just don't know how that is.
sell in their special auctions ?

•••
Do you list your names with Buy it now only or you add best offer option too? Or you list names with best offer option only?
Bin only

•••
Why the Sedo wind is not coming towards me?

•••
Hi

domains listed with BIN prices "on and in SedoMLS", will show at the TOP of search results on Namecheap.com when querying exact domain with extension.
it even works for cctlds and gtld's

i have sold one domain this year via that process.

so, it may, in part, explain reason for OP's productivity differences

imo...

•••
sell in their special auctions ?
Actually, no. I should try those maybe. I have almost everything priced as BIN. Most names are godaddy so put them in their MLS - that is probably a huge boost.

•••
And, some people get most of their sales from Sedo. I assume due them having the landers. I tried years ago to use Sedo landers but got nothing there in months, switched to Afternic and got a bunch of sales, so didn't want to go back to Sedo.
So, at least at one point, when you had switched the landers from Sedo to Afternic, you did get quite a few more sales?
I had briefly tried Afternic landers, the Ns5/Ns6, but didn't see any change, but the trial was a very brief one.
By the end I think, these 2 first sales were made before changind dns to afternic, as after, i saw that when i put price requests on my domains first 10 price requested were made from the part that staid on dan, not on bodis landers.

I dont play powerbal, look to this screenshot of my last sedo sales, you'll see these days, something changed : https://prnt.sc/bTYwnwG83lMV
near to all last sales were with sedo/namecheap

So perhaps the key here is that Namecheap is doing an excellent job with their Sedo connection, at least for you?
Is there anything special that you did with the domain descriptions, that might be helping these sales? Any special categories or master keywords that may have helped folks on the Sedo marketplace find those domains readily?

•••
After Namecheap moved from Afternic to Sedo, I've seen an immediate sales effect at Sedo and decline at Afternic.

It's pretty clear to me.

•••
After Namecheap moved from Afternic to Sedo, I've seen an immediate sales effect at Sedo and decline at Afternic.

It's pretty clear to me.
So how is Namecheap integrating with Sedo? For Afternic Fast Transfer, Sedo is a full partner. For Sedo, though, neither Namecheap nor GoDaddy has full integration with MLS premium at this point.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back