NameSilo

question I sell much more on Sedo than Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,

These days I sell more on sedo than afternic.
Before it was around 90% on afternic and 10% on sedo, but now it's maybe 70% on sedo and 30% afternic.

Any idea ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,

Before it was around 90% on afternic and 10% on sedo, but now it's maybe 70% on sedo and 30% afternic.

Any idea ?

That's interesting to know even though you aren't using Sedo landers.

I'm using Afternic landers and make rarely a sale through Sedo compared to Afternic. Currently having 7,800+ domains listed at both platforms with BIN pricing.

•••
I think the key fact that everyone is skipping over is your pricing. You mentioned that you are selling domains for $500. Most people are not selling domains for $500. Take away the registration costs, renewal costs, time spent researching the names, acquisition costs, managing costs, taxes, etc and it makes very little sense to sell for $500 or even $1,500. Especially when you are considering the fact that a business is gaining an asset, a brand, a virtual office, etc.

Regardless, given the economic uncertainty, sales in the lower pricing tiers are increasing. So people may not jump on that $x,xxx or $xx,xxx domain as quickly, but a $xxx is not much of a risk for them. Additionally, there is always an increase of bigger investors taking advantage of people underpricing their assets. So when the economy is down, those cheap assets get bought up quicker than those that are priced higher. Just basic economy.

Why is this happening in Sedo for you more than Afternic? I have no idea. But my guess is that Sedo has a better system to browse for names than afternic does. For the most part, Afternic names are getting discovered through type-ins. Where in Sedo, there's a small chance someone is using their search.

Personally, during the last 5-10 years of using Sedo, I have seen no results. Everything from their Great Auctions to their regular listings has been a complete waste of time for me.
I agree with you. I've never sold a name at Sedo.

Surprising, I usually get a lot of offers at Sedo yearly despite not pointing any of my names there. My experience so far is that most of the offers are usually low ball offers with $1k being the maximum offer I have ever gotten on Sedo. These are usually for names I have listed for high xxxx and xxxxx BIN prices at Afternic and at Dan. On the other hand, my listings at Sedo are all make offers.

So, from my experience, I can only conclude that most offers are coming from fellow domainers. Maybe, Sedo has become a hunting ground for low cost domain acquisitions. Regardless, I will keep using them as those offers help me in gauging market interest in certain names.

•••
•••
By the end I think, these 2 first sales were made before changind dns to afternic, as after, i saw that when i put price requests on my domains first 10 price requested were made from the part that staid on dan, not on bodis landers.

I dont play powerbal, look to this screenshot of my last sedo sales, you'll see these days, something changed : https://prnt.sc/bTYwnwG83lMV
near to all last sales were with sedo/namecheap

.com

As I said, normally, it's around 1 sale on sedo for 10 sales on afternic. (my landers are on dan)

I think the key fact that everyone is skipping over is your pricing. You mentioned that you are selling domains for $500. Most people are not selling domains for $500. Take away the registration costs, renewal costs, time spent researching the names, acquisition costs, managing costs, taxes, etc and it makes very little sense to sell for $500 or even $1,500. Especially when you are considering the fact that a business is gaining an asset, a brand, a virtual office, etc.

Regardless, given the economic uncertainty, sales in the lower pricing tiers are increasing. So people may not jump on that $x,xxx or $xx,xxx domain as quickly, but a $xxx is not much of a risk for them. Additionally, there is always an increase of bigger investors taking advantage of people underpricing their assets. So when the economy is down, those cheap assets get bought up quicker than those that are priced higher. Just basic economy.

Why is this happening in Sedo for you more than Afternic? I have no idea. But my guess is that Sedo has a better system to browse for names than afternic does. For the most part, Afternic names are getting discovered through type-ins. Where in Sedo, there's a small chance someone is using their search.

Personally, during the last 5-10 years of using Sedo, I have seen no results. Everything from their Great Auctions to their regular listings has been a complete waste of time for me.

•••
I only sold 1 domain on Sedo in 12 years and had about 2500 listed. The rest of my sales were all on Afternic, BB, Sales Landers or Direct WHOIS.

•••
One more comment if I may.

I'll never understand why domainers with experience would set a $20 min offer. Ever.

How does that benefit you?

Do you like lowballers?

I personally don't care if I get 1,000 offers of $20 or $50 on my domain.

I don't care. Its' totally irrelevant.

I only care if I get an offer for the amount I want, OR MORE. I only care about that one $10K offer from my one retail buyer (....insert your own $ number here).

This is why I never set make offers below 50% of the retail price, or 60-70% depending on the case. And I will almost never take the 50% offer, unless it's what I call a dud domain I got by accident.

** Credits to @AbdulBasit.com and @Lox for the great info they have shared with all of us **

Last edited:
•••
I never said that I sell domains for $500, i said that $500 is my average selling price.
I begin a split test for landers between dan and sedo. I should have results within a few days as I can see with sedo if sales comes from partners or landers.

My mistake, but even for an average - that is 5X less than the industry average. Which is $2,500.

•••
•••
I can confirm increased sales @ Sedo. I do not list much on this platform, so my data alone would not be statistically significant, but, in light of this thread - YES, something positive happens @ Sedo.

Why is this?

In no particular order /pure speculation actually/:

a) changed conditions for external partners /vs. Afternic/, what if it is now more profitable to sell Sedo domains?

b) experiments @ GoDaddy - what if they display less Afternic domains for example...

c) moon phases OR solar eclipses (like the one of 10/25)

•••
oh, since when do they prioritise sedo, i have a lot of sales with namecheap partner.
Maybe godaddy is not so great these days...
Not really. Namecheap discounts Sedo Listed names so if I have listed names on Sedo and Afternic, Namecheap will show it as cheaper than other Afternic partners like godaddy, so for $500 names, people are buying from namecheap for the 5% discount i am sure.

Try searching for your names on namecheap vs godaddy and you will understand what I say.

Sedo usually sells me 5K names for me, so I am also happy lol

•••
I doubt anyone here will have the experience you have that sedo does better than afternic even if namecheap redirected their whole site to sedo.

Domain sales have been slow, offers low, deadbeat offers too, so I'm glad you are seeing any movement.

•••
Hello,

Any idea ?
how many names are you talking about?

Sedo have improved by a lot this year tho. I am selling like 2 names a month there

•••
around $500

Well, we have completely different pricing strategies. So that could explain the discrepancy. My prices are mostly 5x higher. In August I had 4 Sedo sales and only 1 for Sept/October. For comparison, Sept/October I have sold 31 domains for $xxxx each.

•••
For Sedo, their staffing seemed much smaller. Is this accurate? And perhaps this is a factor in the fewer sales we see on Sedo?
Hi

whois "we"?

and...
how long have you been monitoring sales on sedo?

don't feed off others speculation.

sedo is not a registrar, unlike godaddy, so logically and assumably they wouldn't need the same amount of people to operate sufficiently.
also, a smaller staff may be more attentive and accountable,
when there are less people to give you the "run around".

imo...

•••
There seem to be strong opinions about whether having BIN is OK on multiple marketplaces. If one has Afternic Fast Transfer activated, there is a question of exclusivity there for the BIN. Sedo customer service had alluded to this possibility, while not confirming this.
Granted, it's probably unlikely that the same domain would sell on two marketplaces on the same day. But if this did happen, what are the consequences?
To me, make offer makes more sense on Sedo, if you using Afternic Fast Transfer for those domains as well. An alternative might be to forgo the FT, and simply have BIN for regular listings in both locations.

This actually happens - Double BIN sale. I know from my own experience. Happened, and not just once.

Question is, how you manage it. Also if you take the risk. Like they say, no risk no reward. Everybody has to decide.

Having BIN in one place and make offer everywhere else is the safest thing though, and a sensible thing to do.

But if you have high value domains, what I would choose is to set a min offer / floor at Afternic and use NS3/NS4 and BIN at Sedo. In this way you have the best of both worlds - without risking anything.

Thing is, the more you sell for cheap the more the risk of double sale.

The higher the prices are, the less the risk.

There aren't 2 buyers at the same time dropping $10k on your name, be sure of that. I had double sales because I was selling low xxx range. Not anymore.

My first 4-fig sale was a domain I didn't value much (not a .com) . I had it listed for $100 on one platform and by mistake I had it listed for $1500 on another platform. At the time I didn't know however that that was a single word, actually.

Edit: I won't mention which the platforms were, at the time I was on several not just Afternic and Sedo as I was testing everything out there, and it wasn't this pair exactly.

The domain sold for $100 and $1500 in 2 different marketplaces, minutes from each other. I solved the issue as I knew best. Pocketed the $1500 - fees. Escaped with a warning. Note, it might not be your case, you have been warned.

I did not have a double sale in the last few years - at all. (Edit: even if I had BIN in 2 places, or 3 places sometimes). Keeping my prices high, retail. Since then, again no such double BIN sales. But I have been also careful and watching everything ( I check my phone if I wake up overnight, if anything sells I delist it elsewhere ).

TL DR: I'd recommend BIN at Sedo and make offer at Afternic with the lead lander, NS3/NS4. This is a safe setup, and works well for higher value names where there's negotiation in most cases. Once you sold something, delist it from the other. There's no chance of double BIN clashing in this format as there is only one BIN.

Later edit - Important. Forgot to mention, the double sales were always like $100 + a higher price elsewhere, but in all cases, the $100 buyer was a frontrunner who knew something and was trying to get the domain for cheap, to sell to the final buyer. This is way more common than you think. I've seen several of these over the years. (BTW - Anyone has encountered the poor student that needs a domain yet? Or a gift to his sick and disabled sister....? )

Last edited:
•••
I like Sedo but when I put a description on a domain it changes all the descriptions to the same description for all my domains. Anyone else have this problem ?

There is a checkbox below the description where it says that it will apply this description to all your domains. I am guessing you have checked this box by mistake.

•••
c) moon phases OR solar eclipses

It's definitely related to the lunar cycle, solar flares and stellar alignments!

Looks like aliens got into the domain business.

•••
Are you using the new Sl1/sl2 landers? Supposedly these landers have better compatibility with different device platforms. That could expand the potential buyer audience significantly.

And are your prices lower on Sedo compared to Afternic? Perhaps potential buyers are getting wiser about checking Sedo for domain offers, realizing the prices may be lower thanks to the lower commissions.

And, since Namecheap appears to be getting to be a good Sedo partner, perhaps they are starting to put efforts into promoting these sales? After all, there is likely some decent profits to be made by them.

For myself, Afternic is now 3 sales this past year, compared to 1 at Sedo. The one at Sedo was admittedly a very low bid and is now up for resale by the new buyer. By contrast, Afternic's three sales were for reasonably good prices (IMHO), and at least two purchases were by end-users. A Fast-transfer sale this past week went very smoothly, with quick payment. So, for me, Afternic is getting more impressive results, possibly with more serious buyers.

Overall, I'm delighted to hear that you are finding success on the Sedo marketplace. Hopefully, we'll start seeing more folks on Namepros with similar happy reports.
no sedo landers, i only use dan and never made a split test with sedo landers as for me there is no benefits using it instead of dan.

same price on sedo and afternic (except currency change eur/usd)

I think that namecheap promoted something, maybe they sent an emailing to their customer who searched domains on their form last months... selling many domains over sedo/namecheap within a very few day is not normal...

•••
•••
I sell tons through Afternic, and Squadhelp. I sold a name (500 listed there) at Sedo about 10 years ago, and then...just a few weeks ago. So, with Sedo I can say once every ten years. Hopefully, my next Sedo name will sell BEFORE the year 2032. I am dumbfounded on the high end sales that happen there all the time. I am not super impressed by the circa 1996 landing pages and cringe when I see them. But, somehow this works for some people. I would really like to know the secret.

•••
Hi

domains listed with BIN prices "on and in SedoMLS", will show at the TOP of search results on Namecheap.com when querying exact domain with extension.
it even works for cctlds and gtld's

i have sold one domain this year via that process.

so, it may, in part, explain reason for OP's productivity differences

imo...

•••
Hi

@ sedo, you can bulk edit/add category settings in 'domain management' and select 'category settings' from drop down box.

if using ppc, then best to add relevant keyword/category

imo...

•••
Godaddy would prefer to sell their own domains which means 100 percent profit (or revenue), while for Afternic sales it is only 20 percent (can go higher depending how flexible they are). Since probably we are selling to GD agents at AN , instead of selling to buyers directly (?), they can just ignore those leads (received at Godaddy backordering system). But this doesn't mean Sedo is better.
And yet, even if there is some unusual activity behind the scenes, GoDaddy still appears to be outperform Sedo for sales significantly. As seen below....
I only sold 1 domain on Sedo in 12 years and had about 2500 listed. The rest of my sales were all on Afternic, BB, Sales Landers or Direct WHOIS.
Despite weeks of changing to parking to Sedo, using their new Sedo sl1/s2 landers, only Afternic has produced another sale for me--without their landers.

It's still puzzling to me why some on this thread have had such high success with Sedo.

•••
Thank you for the reply. I wasnt sure what the significance of Namecheap was in the thread. Is it unsupported by Sedo for wider marketing but that has changed, not sure?
I had many sedo sales from namecheap as sedo mls within a few days. I think they've market previous search from their customer with exact match domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back