IT.COM

HUGE DOMAINS SNIPING GODADDY CLOSEOUTS

NameSilo
Watch
So annoying Godaddy hasn't stopped Huge Domains from sniping Godaddy Closeouts with their automated tools, no way a human bidder can win a even closeout.

First they were sniping with the backorders, now you cut that out, and you are letting them snipe via automated tools.

So what do you say @Joe Styler , you want to even the playing field a bit, as your partners are bidding everything in a split second, from $12, to $11, and bidding everything else into the hundreds from a simple bid. I would rather pay a Huge Domains surcharge at checkout.

Huge Domains has an unfair advantage on the auction platform, essentially taxing every user for using it with their automated access advantages given to them thru the house.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its possible that HD is fattening itself up hoping to be swiped up by a larger fish...
With over 5 million + names in inventory they are the biggest fish at this point, my point is why does Godaddy let them
Snipe closeouts when their is no revenue advantage for them to do so. Why not close this loophole, they already took so mamyndomains when the backorder loophole was open for closeouts, and godaddy looked the other way until someone spoke up, and still it took over a month for changes to happen.

It is dangerous to consumers, when you have partners in an auction format.

To this day people still expose bugs, and errors to godaddy, I actually stopped because the reps think you are wrong when you do, and it is like hitting your head against the wall.

Last edited:
•••
Also "Don't hate the player, hate the game" I feel like you can write scripts that can do the same thing with API access.

Doesn't anyone know the HD auction id at Godaddy? I want to count up how many $$ they've f__cked me.

•••
Also "Don't hate the player, hate the game" I feel like you can write scripts that can do the same thing with API access.

Doesn't anyone know the HD auction id at Godaddy? I want to count up how many $$ they've f__cked me.
Bidder 913932

•••
Going through my list of won auctions they've definitely cost me money. But it's not like they bid on every single name. And I've definitely had some good stuff slip to closeouts. I do see a lot of stuff disappear before it gets to closeout tho, which I guess is what this thread is about...

Yes they are huge... but they're in it to make money like everybody else.

How is GoDaddy supposed to fix this issue?

•••
With over 5 million + names in inventory they are the biggest fish at this point, my point is why does Godaddy let them
Snipe closeouts when their is no revenue advantage for them to do so. Why not close this loophole, they already took so mamyndomains when the backorder loophole was open for closeouts, and godaddy looked the other way until someone spoke up, and still it took over a month for changes to happen.

It is dangerous to consumers, when you have partners in an auction format.

To this day people still expose bugs, and errors to godaddy, I actually stopped because the reps think you are wrong when you do, and it is like hitting your head against the wall.

I agree. We need to hear from someone at GD.

Are we able to get API access, do you know?

•••
Going through my list of won auctions they've definitely cost me money. But it's not like they bid on every single name. And I've definitely had some good stuff slip to closeouts. I do see a lot of stuff disappear before it gets to closeout tho, which I guess is what this thread is about...

Yes they are huge... but they're in it to make money like everybody else.

How is GoDaddy supposed to fix this issue?
By not letting them use automated tools to snipe the closeout at the milli second they open, as if you even blink you will miss it. Godaddy makes no more revenue by doing this, they are only pleasing their #1 bidder by doing this, it shouldn’t be allowed, no human bidder even has a fair shot, unlike bidding where you can attempt to outbid their proxy, here you have no chance,
Advantage to Huge Names courtesy of Godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
I agree. We need to hear from someone at GD.

Are we able to get API access, do you know?
Maybe @Joe Styler @Paul Nicks are on vacation, or don’t want to open up a can of worms.

I don’t think they are handing out anymore API access, not sure, but for closeouts it should be blocked, as they are just creating a bad customer experience by providing a few god like advantages.

Last edited:
•••
By not letting them use automated tools to snipe the closeout at the milli second they open, as if you even blink you will miss it. Godaddy makes no more revenue by doing this, they are only pleasing their #1 bidder by doing this, it shouldn’t be allowed, no human bidder even has a fair shot, unlike bidding where you can attempt to put bid their proxy, here you have no chance,
Advantage to Huge Names courtesy of Godaddy.

I agree, a level playing field generates the most competition and benefits all.

•••
Its possible that HD is fattening itself up hoping to be swiped up by a larger fish...
We could only hope. The new company always messes up the old system so I pray they get bought out.

•••

I think we have a bingo!

•••
Maybe @Joe Styler @Paul Nicks are on vacation, or don’t want to open up a can of worms.

I don’t think they are handing out anymore API access, not sure, but for closeouts it should be blocked, as they are just creating a bad customer experience by providing a few god like advantages.

If they arent permitting API access anymore then they should remove it for all, thats insane.

•••
I think we have a bingo!
Who would want that massive renewal liability on an annual basis. To outsell your renewals, during a bad economic cycle would be a tough task, plus with the threat of icann raising renewals, every penny hurts them on an exponential level.

When endurance bought buy domains portfolio I think the average name worked out to about $25.

At that rate given Turncommerce includes namebright, Dropcatch, and and their massive 5 million plus inventory, but a lot of liabilities in those drop catching connections, and renewals, it would have to be a very large company that could absorb that burn if need be. Probably only leaves 1 company, unless it is some kind of joint venture.

I think Godaddy needs to be very careful with their relationship in an auction setting when it comes to Huge Domains, if we are talking traditional auction format there are a lot of state laws that protect bidders in terms of auction transparency. If the case was ever made that it was a traditional type auction format you would definitely be in a class action status, especially given how known bugs, and loopholes are never acted on in a timely manner, and a few parties are able to monopolize the situation.

•••
If they arent permitting API access anymore then they should remove it for all, thats insane.
They can’t do that, they need Huge Domains to bid us all up, and cause bidding chaos in the auction marketplace, it equates to more revenue for them, albeit a bad customer experience. Especially the people using the API access to pace a $5,$10,$25 min bid every 5 minutes for hours on end, ruining a human bidders whole day in terms of time, and efficiency. The dollars have become more important than the user experience which really sucks.

To beat the closeouts, they will tell you to buy a backorder for $20, and use that, so basically they are using a few automated access bidders to cause havoc on a majority of bidders. Now that they have more auction inventory, they are under pressure to achieve higher prices for such partners in order to create them, that is why huge names is so important.

Last edited:
•••
Who would want that massive renewal liability on an annual basis. To outsell your renewals, during a bad economic cycle would be a tough task, plus with the threat of icann raising renewals, every penny hurts them on an exponential level.

When endurance bought buy domains portfolio I think the average name worked out to about $25.

At that rate given Turncommerce includes namebright, Dropcatch, and and their massive 5 million plus inventory, but a lot of liabilities in those drop catching connections, and renewals, it would have to be a very large company that could absorb that burn if need be. Probably only leaves 1 company, unless it is some kind of joint venture.

I think Godaddy needs to be very careful with their relationship in an auction setting when it comes to Huge Domains, if we are talking traditional auction format there are a lot of state laws that protect bidders in terms of auction transparency. If the case was ever made that it was a traditional type auction format you would definitely be in a class action status, especially given how known bugs, and loopholes are never acted on in a timely manner, and a few parties are able to monopolize the situation.

Whole lot of info in your post, most of which I agree with and I am late for a meeting...so, if I understand the first sentence correctly, my response would be that the auction format/formula for daddy utilizing buyouts has been extremely profitable for them...any bulk acquisition with the low values paid for domains on an individual basis will give them more fodder for their profit cannon.

•••
As a side note, I tried to imagine what will happen without Huge Domains @ GD (or at all). We'll all celebrate, no doubts.

But then -

As confirmed by Joe and Paul, GD employees are allowed to purchase closeouts (if no bidding is involved). So there is nothing that prevents GD-owned companies from "purchasing" closeouts, and they have each and every opportunity to do so without any competition. Indeed, the same entities did purchase portfolios (such as from Michael Berkens), so why not to add fresh closeouts? Yes, ICANN accrediation explicitly prevents registrars from doing so, but ICANN does not care... and GD can always open another company for their aftermarket activities. Such an outcome is not impossible. Moreover, we do not know - maybe it already happens, with domains that Huge Domains did not like. Such domains will be always renewed, set to private whois and appear on afternic / godaddy almost instantly (would be natural outcome). And, GD may well be successful with this intiative - they have good db of previous sales (afternic/auctions), they have access to auction watchlists, and also to day-to-day handreg trends.

•••
Whole lot of info in your post, most of which I agree with and I am late for a meeting...so, if I understand the first sentence correctly, my response would be that the auction format/formula for daddy utilizing buyouts has been extremely profitable for them...any bulk acquisition with the low values paid for domains on an individual basis will give them more fodder for their profit cannon.
I agree but they control basically all expired inventory flow now, why spend the money when you can get a cut of all the action regardless, and you have people like Huge Domains just bidding up every auction, it is an amazing system for sure.

The portfolios godaddy has bought have had a lot of liquid 2L.com, and 3L.com names in the past, given Huge Names has some decent names in their inventory, they also have a large portion of junk, which would be dead weight. I am sure Godaddy has their stats as they probaly sell a good portion of their inventory thru the Godaddy sales channel. Godaddy never seemed to involved in acquiring registry connections to be in the actual Dropcatch type business, their numbers did disappoint in recent release, so I guess they will be looking to find ways to increase revenue. I don’t think the Reyberry’s are ready to sell, it would probably have to be a huge premium, which I don’t think anyone in this industry would
pay given how Verisign, and icann are acting right now.

•••
I've also offen wondered about how legal it all is. The problem is that there is zero downside for GD so why would they do anything to even the playing field.

According to GD, ENOM, etc... they aren't even "auctions". The TOS carefully skirts responsibility for anything.

Thumb on the scale makes GD money in the long run because it increases prices small investors pay. HD and other large accounts get preferred access, fewer domains are left to drop, higher average sale.

If they gave API access to everyone, it would raise operating cost, degrade performance for their large customers.

I've said in another thread about HD that if the time and effort was put in and enough data was gathered on the auctions they bid on (and preferably get outbid on) I sure there would be a way to crack their algorithm. That would in turn allow them to be bid up on worthless names or at least let us know what they will bid to on a name and whether its worth taking part in the auction or not.

Last edited:
•••
HD is impossible to compete with whether it is closeouts or action - For fun I followed about 15 minutes of GD action and here's what they won:

sengongpm.com - $22
srclean.com - $59
buylocalsandiego.com - $17
kaizenculture.com - $15
ocstaff.com - $15
sfseg.com - $15
reclaimedcleveland.com - $35
tradedentist.com - $15
femdoll.com - $15
floatersociety.com - $17
talniri.com - $116
coworkingon.com - $32
t1rates.com - $28

They became 2 highest bitter on the following names (their price)

centropay.com - $110 - (105)
everythingnicechristening.com - $49 - (45)
pureconcrete.com - $241 - (238)
fantasticresorts.com - $207 - (203)
exclusivecourses.com - $100 - (95)
lingasiabeauty.com - $50 - (45)

Lowest GD valuation was $253 and highest $2712

I was not interested in any of the names above, but last week I lost 12 auctions to them between $100 - 800

I would not say impossible, I won a few domains where I knew I was bidding against them and if I look at your list the pricing on those domains is fairly reasonable.

So if I truly needed centropay.com I would easily have paid more than the $110 and even id they bid it up to $800 that would still be a reasonable price for a domain I had a use for.

I know I won a couple but I had to bid up fairly high.

HeHe, I also bid up a couple fairly high and then bowed out on purpose. I checked later and sure enough the domains ended up at Huge Domains. I was very glad to return the favor and have them waste some money for a change.

•••
They must pay GD millions in auction fees and must easily be their biggest customer across all channels (just a guess). If there's no collusion or sweeteners of some sort I'd be very surprised.

Not only that but they are also partners when it comes to sales. You can buy your Huge Domains straight from GoDaddy and have it in your account by days end.

I did that recently and it shows how closely godaddy and huge domains are linked.

•••

It would be interesting to see how many domains are purchased by huge domains vs all domainers together on any specific month.

I would almost say that our opinion probably does not play any significant part in the decision making process between these two companies.

•••
Not only that but they are also partners when it comes to sales. You can buy your Huge Domains straight from GoDaddy and have it in your account by days end.

I did that recently and it shows how closely godaddy and huge domains are linked.
I'm sure this must be some sort of conflict of interests or collusion to be given special access to tools and information (API etc) by a business partner to bid in a public auction.

•••
It would be interesting to see how many domains are purchased by huge domains vs all domainers together on any specific month.

I would almost say that our opinion probably does not play any significant part in the decision making process between these two companies.
I think its safe to say that GD don't give a single sh*t what the individual customer thinks in a situation like this lol.

•••
As a side note, I tried to imagine what will happen without Huge Domains @ GD (or at all). We'll all celebrate, no doubts.

But then -

As confirmed by Joe and Paul, GD employees are allowed to purchase closeouts (if no bidding is involved). So there is nothing that prevents GD-owned companies from "purchasing" closeouts, and they have each and every opportunity to do so without any competition. Indeed, the same entities did purchase portfolios (such as from Michael Berkens), so why not to add fresh closeouts? Yes, ICANN accrediation explicitly prevents registrars from doing so, but ICANN does not care... and GD can always open another company for their aftermarket activities. Such an outcome is not impossible. Moreover, we do not know - maybe it already happens, with domains that Huge Domains did not like. Such domains will be always renewed, set to private whois and appear on afternic / godaddy almost instantly (would be natural outcome). And, GD may well be successful with this intiative - they have good db of previous sales (afternic/auctions), they have access to auction watchlists, and also to day-to-day handreg trends.
We are not buying closeouts as a company. Why would we? We could just keep the domains we liked and not send them to auction in the first place. We don't do that either by the way. We don't watch what people watch, or search for, or anything else for that matter. We do not compete against customers in our name or any other company name.

•••
We do permit API access. I just gave someone access this week in fact. If you are an active auctions user and a known good customer reach out and we can get you API access.
However it is important to note, we do not allow "drop catching" on closeouts. We limit requests via the API on closeout domains. We do this for two reasons. We want it to be fair across the board for anyone to get them. We do not want our servers "ddos" attacked by our own API customers trying to grab closeout domains. So getting API access is not a silver bullet for getting good closeout domains. I get asked this a lot which is why I am bringing this up. Closeout domains are very competitive.

•••
I think its safe to say that GD don't give a single sh*t what the individual customer thinks in a situation like this lol.
I thought the expression was two shits, and we do. That is one of the reasons I spend so much time here. I want to hear what customers think and take action on that. We've implemented a lot of changes over the years from feedback on here and elsewhere directly from customers regardless of how much they spend or how many domains they have.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back