IT.COM

Ridiculous GoDaddy Auctions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I rarely participate in Godaddy auctions, because I am aware of auto bidders using GD API such as Huge Domains, there are many threads on this already like this one:

HUGE DOMAINS SNIPING GODADDY CLOSEOUTS

For testing I just tried Godaddy auctions, I found a domain name i n c e p t u a l . c o m with no bidders and less than 1 min left, so I placed a bid and then I was immediately outbid in matter of seconds!

Here is a screenshot:
Untitled-4.jpg

• Notice that my bid ($12) and next bid ($17) were placed both at 10:39 PM O_o
  • When I placed the bid the timer was 40 seconds, after my bid the timer was reset to 5 min
  • Bidder 2 placed a bid ($17) exactly 2-5 seconds after my bid!!
  • Bidders IDs are not shown in the auctions so there is no way to tell by comparing with other auctions.
There are 2 possibilities here:
  • The auto bidder was a client using GD API (Such as Huge Domains): in this case this is totally unfare advantage for those clients and is against any ethics in this industry!
  • The auto bidder was Godaddy system itself to inflate prices: which would be the ultimate scandal if it was true (I hope it is not)
Both cases are disgraceful..

@Joe Styler domainers community deserve explanation from you!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Avtar629 if you list your domain at GD auction then min srarting bid allowed is $20. The $12 starting bid is only for expired domains auction.

•••
@Avtar629 .. I think you're allowed to set anything you want as a starting bid? (Not 100%)

But I think a big factor is that most people only look at "Expiring" auctions at GoDaddy.

Then beyond that people look at names with bids.

After that, most people actually looking just randomly for domains with no bids likely filter for $12 names specifically because the system is flooded mediocre domains from other domainers with unrealistic (WHOLESALE) price expectations.

I think in the end it's that ultimately people's time is better invested in searching expiring names where better value can generally be found.

GoDaddy's strength (size/volume) for wholesale buyers, is a weakness for sellers, as your domains simply get lost in the biggest portfolio in the world. Just as many domains go to auction every single day at GD than can be found on just about any of the brandable marketplaces' entire catalogues that they've taken years to grow!

I think the key at GD is to get enough outside attention so that you'll get a couple of bids .. promote them here at NamePros, or pay NameBio or @Domain Shane, etc to list your domain .. once you get a couple of bids early enough, then AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A QUALITY DOMAIN, then other people will see it and bid on it. (Nothing will help any domain that isn't at least very good)

But about self-promoting on NamePros .. I've said it a few times now .. if you want to be serious about promoting yourself, your business and ultimately your domains, you also need to realise that very few people are ever going to take "Avtar629" seriously .. it's the same as getting an email from [email protected] .. in that you might actually have something good or relevant in the email, but because of the way it was presented (the email address), almost no one will ever take it seriously. In fact .. most people won't even look. It's nothing person, it's just time management and the statistical probability that it's spam .. or in your case .. that you're probably selling a domain like yoyoheywhats-up546.xyz.

Same thing for your avatar .. I'm 100% fine with people using whatever they want as their avatar .. and my interpretation could be very wrong .. but your current avatar makes you look like you are mocking fat kids, and thus portrays a very immature and very childish image and not somebody anyone you could ever trust or rely on for serious business.

To be clear, you could be the nicest person in the world, and maybe that's a picture of you so you aren't mocking anyone else .. but in the world of business and domains, people unfortunately don't have time to get to know everyone they transact with. Particularly on the internet it's just not realistic to expect people to take 15 minutes to research the background of the person behind every email send to them from emails like [email protected] .. nor in the world of domains is it reasonable to expect people to take the time to investigate the background of each person for every domain they're considering acquiring. Sure it might be true for $50K+ domains, but if you're talking about $12-$25 domains, then your buyers are likely all about volume and scanning thousands of domains every day .. and as such people simply won't listen to what you have to say because they don't have the time.

I've said this to you a few times before and suggested you take advantage of the fact @NamePros allows us to change our usernames (and you can change your avatar yourself). Seems you even agreed .. but then ... ??? Maybe consider starting the new decade with a new image? :)

Again though .. if your domains aren't very good then presentation won't really help at all .. but I just don't get why you deliberately make it harder for yourself to be taken seriously and thus make it harder for people to ever want to do business with you?

Anyhow .. sorry if all that came across as harsh .. I'm just telling you the unfortunate truth of the realities of business. I still wish you nothing but the best and tons of domain sales! :)

After recently seeing brands.international with his new username and profile. I've asked. That was a while ago. I've contacted NP support. Right now i don't recall their response but since I did not change my profile and username and url their response must not have worked for me. I think ( and don't quote me on this) it was that if I needed to change my username and url I'd lose everything. Like all my posts and likes.

As far as creating a profile on NP is was totally just to drop by and troll the site and "check it out" so went all AOL chat with it. With some made up name. In fact it was supposed to be Avatar629 but some how it ended up as Avtar629. To show you how in serious I took this site at first. I left it as is with the error.

After that I liked the site so much, I signed up for the yearly subscription as it was worth.

I don't even recall putting up a "Hello NP! I'm such and such." Yadda yadda yadda.

Kinda just jumped in as I always do. Typing my fingers off.

It got to the point when I had so many likes and posts and then told (i think) that I'd lose it all if i switched usernames and url.

What I wanted was a username to match the domain I decided to use for my Efty. So there is continuity.

Trust me ategy. I know how the "game works". I've shown up to domain sales meetings in a suit and tie.

Depends on who I'm meeting. If I'm meeting a hipster I wear skinny jeans all while leather sneakers and a checkered flannel shirt and let me beard grow.

If I'm meeting a fortune 500 CEO it's my best suit.

There is nothing you've said that I am not aware of as far as presentation and appearance.

NP just makes it difficult somehow to change stuff on here. Disclaimer: As far as I can remember. I could be remembering it wrong.

But since I never changed it till now then there must have been a good reason not to.

I've been wanting to change my profile for a while now especially since I started to get likes and posted somewhat good content.

But what can i do? Kinda stuck now.

I think the only option offered to me was to create a free new account. But then I would need to start fresh and my trust level would be Zero. So why bother?

I have over 18,000+ connections on LinkedIn. Trust me you are preaching to the choir my friend.

Although on LinkedIn i did opt to use my stupid passport photo. Which makes me look like a huge floating head with a white background lol

Thanks again for your input. it is appreciated and digested. Happy New Year and best of luck to you and everyone else in NP.

•••
@Avtar629 if you list your domain at GD auction then min srarting bid allowed is $20. The $12 starting bid is only for expired domains auction.

Yea I figured as much.

This is why the private seller still loses out to expireds because they aren't allowed to start that low.

The system really is designed to F us over.

When exactly were domainers pre-programmed to be so "expired domain focused"?

Was there a free seminar or podcast somewhere by some get rich quick guru?

I have come across some "get rich buying selling domains" ..."programs or courses" that have that pitch.

I have this feeling this is where this idea is coming from. Or is it just a "learned" thing lazy people like myself figure out?

I mean there is some value domains in some domainers portfolios that's worth a $25 bid. But will never get bids because everyone has tunnel vision.

Sorry to hijack this thread OP

Last edited:
•••
Yea I figured as much.

This is why the private seller still loses out to expireds because they aren't allowed to start that low.

I have come across some "get rich buying selling domains" ..."programs or courses" that have that pitch.

I have this feeling this is where this idea is coming from. Or is it just a "learned" thing lazy people like myself figure out?

I mean there is some value domains in some domainers portfolios that's worth a $25 bid. But will never get bids because everyone has tunnel vision.

Actually yes expired auctions attract more bidders, not mainly because of starting bid but due to other factors, one of these factors specific to GD platform is that appraisal value is only shown for expired auctions, which brings more traffic to these domains as many users sort domains according to appraisal value.

Another factor is reserve price, for some reason domainers hate and void reserve auctions.. most domains listed by users at GD come with reserve price especially for premium ones, while expired auctions at GD have no reserve. this creates illusion that you will get domains at bargain price, while in reality most of the time bidders end overpaying at expired auctions of lower quality, and underpaying and not winning users' (reserve) auctions of higher quality!

Last edited:
•••
Yea I figured as much.

No, there's something strange at expired auctions, other than that. Expired auctions start at $12, user auctions start at $20. Practically no difference. The only reason why it's not possible to start an auction at less than $20 is because GD couldn't take a meaningful cut of the sale.

Other than the HD bot bidding everyone up, there are many buyers who are prepared to win against HD and massively overpay for domains they could get for significantly cheaper in user auctions. Something smells to me.

Coincidentally (?), GD are the ones who earn from expired auction, whereas the users are the ones who earn from user auctions. Coincidence? I don't know.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back