Dynadot

discuss Has GD Auction's $50 closeout-price helped to curb sniping?

NameSilo
Watch

PJ Baldwin

Established Member
Impact
6 months ago, GoDaddy Auctions increased the starting price of its "closeout" auctions from $11 to $50, in an apparent attempt to curb "sniping" by automated API bots such as Huge Domains (HD).

For those of you who actively participate in the closeouts, have you noticed if this change has helped at all with the sniping problem?.. Or, are HD and others still sniping at the same rate as before?.. In general, what has been your experience with closeouts since the change was implemented?

Note #1: The reason I'm asking is that there's a domain I'm mildly interested in as a potential end-user, but I really don't want to pay more than $200 for it. Based on my experience (and as many here have learned), if you place a bid for it at the last minute then you end up in a bidding war with HD (which seems to go above $500 regularly now). On the other hand, if you allow it to go to closeouts (assuming there's no bids) then you risk it getting sniped. I assume the risk of that is less now at $50 instead of $11, but it also wouldn't surprise me if HD is completely undeterred by it and sniping at will.

Note #2: I'm only interested in discussing the impact of this change on sniping. I'm not interested in theories of why GD increased the price, what their actual motivations may have been, or whether you agree with the policy change. Those have already been discussed in other threads, ad nauseum.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Previously, if no one bid on auction, there would be BIN prices for $12, $10 and $5. Now if no one bids on the auction, there's BIN for 50, 40, 12, 10 and 5? So they just added more days of BIN at a higher price?

I have won some auctions on GoDaddy with just one bid but I usually don't bid in the last hour.

•••
Previously, if no one bid on auction, there would be BIN prices for $12, $10 and $5. Now if no one bids on the auction, there's BIN for 50, 40, 12, 10 and 5? So they just added more days of BIN at a higher price?

I have won some auctions on GoDaddy with just one bid but I usually don't bid in the last hour.
$11, not $12.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back