IT.COM

guide How to offer our domain to established company

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sohel momin

Top Member
Impact
I bought an expired Domain from Godaddy. When I searched that domain on Google it shows a company which has an almost same name. just the difference in letter-K. My domain has single K and company has double KK.
Should I offer my Domain the company or sell it outside? Please Help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if they already have a domain, then why would they want yours?

imo...

•••
Ask them.
You dont lose nothing asking.

•••
@biggie they might want to upgrade their current domain name especially if it is a typo

Last edited:
•••
I'm no expert on trademarks so correct me if I'm wrong.
If their name with double kk is made up brand name TM and you have non generic made up name with single k it may be an issue beings it's confusingly similar.

If not then offer it, they may want to purchase single k to redirect type in traffic to their main site.

•••
•••
It would be best to know the names, but it seems you have the superior one in this case.

I would do both, contact them and then sell on the market if a deal is not reached.

Good luck!

•••
Unless the 2nd K gives an alternative meaning to the domain .. then you are essentially trying to sell them something they own the trademark rights on. So while it really depends on the specific domain (you will NEVER get accurate trademark advice from someone who doesn't know what the actual domain is), it could land you in trouble.

Obviously it all depends on the price as well .. if you offer it to them for $99, even if it is illegal .. they might just pay you anyways because it will be much cheaper than the alternative .. but they could theoretically sue you if they think it's worth it.

Again .. it depends entirely on the exact domain .. but sounds to me like you're infringing on their trademark and you might be better off simply deleting the domain. If I were you I'd get advice from someone or people you trust who actually know what the domain name is.

As a basic rule of thumb .. even if a domain or brand is not the exact same spelling .. it is still covered if it is similar. For example .. Coca-Cola would still hold trademark rights on Koca-Kola under all the TM catagories they operate under. Same thing for Cocca-Cola or CokeCola .. or anything that could be deceptively similar or confusing be a trademark/UDRP judge ...

•••
It would be best to know the names, but it seems you have the superior one in this case.

I would do both, contact them and then sell on the market if a deal is not reached.

Good luck!
Thanks, @maxtra and @Ategy.com

•••

Good luck!
Yesterday I sent my offer to a president of the company. If I didn't get any response I will sell in the marketplace. Actually, the Domain is 14 years old so I don't think there will be a Trademark issue.

•••
I wish you best! :xf.smile:

I believe your should've looked further into the trademark issue before you sent an offer.
You may have opened up a can of worms by just assuming that with the age of your name there would be no trademark issue.

Again I'm no expert and good luck with a sale! :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back