Dynadot

Offering .com domain to an established ccTLD domain? Good or bad move?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fuadiansyah

Established Member
Impact
What is the chance to succesfuly sell .com domain to an established company who currently has ccTLD domain such as co.uk? Or is this UDRP dangerous move?

Story behind this, I've found expiring domain on GoDaddy Expired Auction that has exact word .com of an established retail company in my country. Their current domain is co.id. After checking WIPO for trademark, their date of registration of TM is 2010, where the .com domain registered in 2001.

If I intend to acquired this domain and offered to them, is this a good or UDRP dangerous move?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Many domainers get this thing about TM wrong. It is not that scary :)
Every "old Domainer" will go for .COM if ccTLD or nGTLD is taken and protected, this is not a gambling - this is business :)
There is 2 kind of Domainers - flippers and investors. If you are Domain investor than you invest in bunch domains and wait, wait.... thats why we are Domain investors :)
Interesting, so what if the company approach but not to buy the domain, instead filed UDRP...
So, just give and transfer them the name? Is that it?
I have this friend who has completed her law master degree. I think I need to ask her about this...

•••
First of all, I don't encourage any of you to invest in TMs - that is forbidden :)
Second, if you got some TM name buy accident (it happeneds :) ) don't be afraid, there is a legal procedure. First you get CDL by mail, than you got real Letter... enough time to decide what next.
There is many examples where people loose their domains for nothing, only because they was afraid.
What if some Domainer want your domain and he send you CDL via email? Or some another scammer ? You will transfer your domain to him without checking? No, always check and wait for old fashion paper Letter :) with all Insignias etc.

•••
First of all, I don't encourage any of you to invest in TMs - that is forbidden :)
Second, if you got some TM name buy accident (it happeneds :) ) don't be afraid, there is a legal procedure. First you get CDL by mail, than you got real Letter... enough time to decide what next.
There is many examples where people loose their domains for nothing, only because they was afraid.
What if some Domainer want your domain and he send you CDL via email? Or some another scammer ? You will transfer your domain to him without checking? No, always check and wait for old fashion paper Letter :) with all Insignias etc.
OK, What is CDL btw? I am not used to many terms here...

•••
•••
Forbidden? Where are you from, North Korea? :xf.wink:
TM's are like, hmmm... sacred cows... in India only. Elsewhere, they're, well, beef! This is to say, a TM is limited by jurisdiction and Class it's registered in. Newsflash: there are 200+ jurisdictions plus 45 TM Classes! A wee bit wriggle room for... domaining, I should think :sneaky:
Great advice! :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back