NameSilo

How to get a © or ® for my domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
and what does that mean to have a © or an ® next to a domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The C with a circle around it ( © ) means copyright, and the R with a circle around it ( ® ) means reserved. I am not exactly sure how to obtain them though.

Tom

•••
(c) does not need any "permission" to have. It means that the copywritten information is your own, and no one has any right to copy it. However, if you want a document permission (an official paper) you can buy one. It is only good as a proof in court if you sue someone for having your data copied illegally.
(R) is a registered trademark, you have to register a trademark for this (ex. "Coca Cola").

•••
Copyright is your intelectual property,Anything that you design ect.Is automatically copyright to in the US.Would not apply to a DN,The logo-Materials you create ect applies.

A Trademark is a registered name with Word mark you apply for being the TM in the US,You can file and be rewarded a trademark for a domain name.But it will be exactly that :example: zzzzz.com would be your word mark registered. for instance go to this link http://www.uspto.gov/index.html where it says trademark search,Put in Poker.com It's TM,It shows you rather it's live or dead,And specific info.

Last edited:
•••
vip-ip said:
(c) does not need any "permission" to have. It means that the copywritten information is your own, and no one has any right to copy it. However, if you want a document permission (an official paper) you can buy one. It is only good as a proof in court if you sue someone for having your data copied illegally.
(R) is a registered trademark, you have to register a trademark for this (ex. "Coca Cola").

you mean Coca Cola(R) or Coca Cola™
he he he
Just put a copyright thing, eg:Copyright ©2000 - 2005, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

•••
Im pretty sure it costs alot of money to get an ®

•••
Absolutly,The filing fee + Lawyer expenses ect.It can get quite expensive for sure.

•••
in the Uk to get a trade mark it costs about £250 and you don't need a laywer.....
Now thats cheap considering that it can protect your brand....

•••
That's cheap! But see,Here it begins with the filing fee,And then every peice of paper they have to push there is a charge for it,,And then you have to have a lawyer to trace all the people who have the word mark,So he can send them a letter letting them know the name they are using has been filed for TM,The reason the individual does'nt do the contacting is fear of lawsuit,It only takes a couple of angry words for them to get a lawsuit filed against them and they know it,So they pay the attorny to do the comunactions.At $150 to $200 an hour,Those lawyer fees add up quick.

Last edited:
•••
How about ™? How do you get ™ and what does it mean? (I know the idea of what it means, but a description would be nice) :)

Petter B-)

•••
That's Trademark,It is when you file with your government for a specific *word mark* Such as Petter,If granted the word mark,You have rights to defend the word mark against unarthorized use by another,As you own the right to word mark,And they lawfully can't be copied without your written consent.

•••
isn't a TM and a R the same? I thought TM meant Trademark and R meant registered trademark! :lol:

My mum was a solicitor and apparantly copyright is anything that is your idea, that can be written/drawn down. So if you think of a poem, its your copyright... if you think of a picture, its your copyright (unless, in both cases, its already out there). I'm not sure about names to websites, you can't really copyright them (i don't think).

•••
Yea and there is also SM=Service mark,Which in a nut shell means that the owner is claiming thier DN for instance as Pofitable service.The R is registered,Much the same TM.Copyright is intelectual property that you your self have created,A drawing,A logo,Webtemplate ect,Without the use of anyone elses property.You don't have to file a copyright with your government for copyright protection,If you made it all with your own property it's copyright to you automatically,But it's best,It protects your specific work from copycaters.

•••
There is a bit of confusion here, anyone can TM thier business name, slogan or product. All you need to do is enter the marketplace with the name or product. A ® means you registered your mark with the government and they support that you are the "owner" of that mark. So if anyone else tries to use it, the government will say, they had this mark, here is the proof. You can still defend your mark without registering it, but if defending your mark, you would have to prove when you first started using it, how it was used, where it was used and in what capacity. By registering your mark, you do all that work first, then when it is time to defend your mark, all you need to do is supply registered information to the offending party. All that information is on record and verified by the government.

A TM is earned from usage in the marketplace, a ® is proof you have used 9or will be using) your TM in the marketplace. And ® stands for registered and you are supported by the government. People use ™ to make an identity of the name or product. As an example, DNQuest.com™ is my trade mark, I have been using it for almost 4 years now as a business. If someone comes in and tried to use the name (or similar name), I would have claim and would have to prove that I have been using it for years. If I register this TM, then all I really need to do is supply the government certification of my TM to prove it. So basically, if you spend some $$ upfront, you won't hav to spend it later on defending your mark.

As an added note, you can put a ™ on your name and products at any time, but it is illegal to put a ® unless you are certified by the government. It is a pusihable crime.

If you want to ™ your name or procuct or slogan and are cheap, you can always type up the partiulars (first use, how it is used, product, name, everything you can thing of) put it in an envelope and send yourself certified mail with receipt. when you receive teh envelope, DO NOT OPEN IT, keep it sealed. If there is ever a time you need to prove your ™, submit the envelope to the judge and have him and only him unsealed teh envelope and ahve the finding on record. So for future reference, you can cite the court docket the exact details of your TM. I would od the same thing if you want to copyrite something too.

Last edited:
•••
Copyright is basically the same thing when it comes to the law. As soon as something is created, it's copyrighted. However, if you want to file suit against someone for infringement, you have to prove that you had the copyright before hand, etc. Registering the copyright is usually the best way to do this, though some say that you can mail a copy of the whatever to yourself with a post office datestamp and that is sufficient. You can still win a court case without registering, but it makes it that much harder.

•••
DNQuest.com said:
There is a bit of confusion here, anyone can TM thier business name, slogan or product. All you need to do is enter the marketplace with the name or product. A ® means you registered your mark with the government and they support that you are the "owner" of that mark. So if anyone else tries to use it, the government will say, they had this mark, here is the proof. You can still defend your mark without registering it, but if defending your mark, you would have to prove when you first started using it, how it was used, where it was used and in what capacity. By registering your mark, you do all that work first, then when it is time to defend your mark, all you need to do is supply registered information to the offending party. All that information is on record and verified by the government.

A TM is earned from usage in the marketplace, a ® is proof you have used 9or will be using) your TM in the marketplace. And ® stands for registered and you are supported by the government. People use ™ to make an identity of the name or product. As an example, DNQuest.com™ is my trade mark, I have been using it for almost 4 years now as a business. If someone comes in and tried to use the name (or similar name), I would have claim and would have to prove that I have been using it for years. If I register this TM, then all I really need to do is supply the government certification of my TM to prove it. So basically, if you spend some $$ upfront, you won't hav to spend it later on defending your mark.

As an added note, you can put a ™ on your name and products at any time, but it is illegal to put a ® unless you are certified by the government. It is a pusihable crime.

If you want to ™ your name or procuct or slogan and are cheap, you can always type up the partiulars (first use, how it is used, product, name, everything you can thing of) put it in an envelope and send yourself certified mail with receipt. when you receive teh envelope, DO NOT OPEN IT, keep it sealed. If there is ever a time you need to prove your ™, submit the envelope to the judge and have him and only him unsealed teh envelope and ahve the finding on record. So for future reference, you can cite the court docket the exact details of your TM. I would od the same thing if you want to copyrite something too.

I agree,But anyone can put TM,SM,Beside thier name,But it does'nt hold water in court.If the word mark is not registered with government,Then IMO you are putting TM next to it to just make it look fancy.It holds no legally filed word mark.

•••
Xfactor said:
I agree,But anyone can put TM,SM,Beside thier name,But it does'nt hold water in court.If the word mark is not registered with government,Then IMO you are putting TM next to it to just make it look fancy.It holds no legally filed word mark.

Putting TM or SM just denotes that you assert it as a Trademark or servicemark, but that it's probably not registered as one. It doesn't mean you can't defend it, it's just more difficult and puts the burden of proof on you instead of the the other person. A registered trademark or sm, puts the burden of proof on the person contesting it.

•••
Xfactor, I would disagree with your point. It can hold water in court, but it is harder to defend. I can absolutely prove that DNQuest.com™ is my trademark and I know I can successfully defend it in court. I have undesputed proof I have been using it for many years and it has become an identity of a known domain service. Now, if someone were to assert this mark too, it would cost me more court costs and my time. But I would prevail ultimately.

Adoptable said it best.

•••
DNQuest.com said:
Xfactor, I would disagree with your point. It can hold water in court, but it is harder to defend. I can absolutely prove that DNQuest.com™ is my trademark and I know I can successfully defend it in court. I have undesputed proof I have been using it for many years and it has become an identity of a known domain service. Now, if someone were to assert this mark too, it would cost me more court costs and my time. But I would prevail ultimately.

Adoptable said it best.

I agree with you,Iam just saying it would be litigation city,Alot of money to defend IMO.I agree with you aswell AdoptableDomains.But it's a very complicated Judicial process IMO.There are loop holes,Just a ton of things that can occur with TM,SM,R,.To complicated for me LOL,I just check trademarks before i reg a name.

•••
xfactor, yes it is more exense on the backend. But it may not be as expensive as you might think, unless you battle a big boy. If you are battling a little guy, and you can easitly show you've been using the TM for some time,they will back down. I was in that boat about2 years ago when someone tried to start a site similar to my name (and even used that similar name at the other forum). I contacted him, told him my rights to the TM. He gave me a little hard time, but ultimately, he abandonded his venture and went in a different direction. But registering will cause less headaches down the road.

•••
Its only good for companies that are big right?
for small sites you don't really need it.
All i have it the Copyright.
I don't relly need the Registered sign for now.
But i think it costs about 100$ and you need to go see lawyer.

•••
It cost the company I worked for around $1000 to get their registered trademark and it took a good amount of time (months) because the trademark office has to allow time for disputes about the mark. They had to get a lawyer.

•••
I know it's rather late, but here's a link to confirm what DNQuest said:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/doc/basic/register.htm

Should I register my mark?

Is registration of my mark required?

No. You can establish rights in a mark based on legitimate use of the mark. However, owning a federal trademark registration on the Principal Register provides several advantages, e.g.,

• constructive notice to the public of the registrant's claim of ownership of the mark;
  • a legal presumption of the registrant's ownership of the mark and the registrant's exclusive right to use the mark nationwide on or in connection with the goods and/or services listed in the registration;
  • the ability to bring an action concerning the mark in federal court;
  • the use of the U.S registration as a basis to obtain registration in foreign countries; and
  • the ability to file the U.S. registration with the U.S. Customs Service to prevent importation of infringing foreign goods.

When can I use the trademark symbols TM, SM and ®?

Any time you claim rights in a mark, you may use the "TM" (trademark) or "SM" (service mark) designation to alert the public to your claim, regardless of whether you have filed an application with the USPTO. However, you may use the federal registration symbol "®" only after the USPTO actually registers a mark, and not while an application is pending. Also, you may use the registration symbol with the mark only on or in connection with the goods and/or services listed in the federal trademark registration.

•••
writing it up and putting it into an envelope and sending it to yourself can hold up just as well as well as a registered trademark. Same goes for patents.... you have proof... thats what matters and not the fact that you have paid a few thousand to register yourself a TM.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back