Dynadot

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Two weeks ago I got an email response from an enduser asking "how much". I replied back $395 along with supporting data that the domain was worth well over $1000. After not hearing a peep for a week, I picked up the phone and called the number in his signature. Turns out his budget was only $250, so I accepted the offer and walked him through Sedo's offer and payment steps.

•••
Two weeks ago I got an email response from an enduser asking "how much". I replied back $395 along with supporting data that the domain was worth well over $1000. After not hearing a peep for a week, I picked up the phone and called the number in his signature. Turns out his budget was only $250, so I accepted the offer and walked him through Sedo's offer and payment steps.

Good job...i work on the phones all day but cant seem to get myself to call someone who im pushing something on....maybe diffrent if they came to me first but i went to them and phoning just seems pushy and might make things worse.

•••
That usually signals a good time to call your prospect. Present your reasoning for your asking price, stats, backlinks, or a keyword relevance. Also inform them that you have other candidates for your particular domain and that you contacted them again because you want to "close" out the current transaction before moving forward with other prospects.

Hope that helps a little.

Calvin

I have two law firms that requested a price on a domain and I have not heard back from them. The deadline for my offer is tomorrow, so I will give them a call and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again.

•••
That usually signals a good time to call your prospect. Present your reasoning for your asking price, stats, backlinks, or a keyword relevance. Also inform them that you have other candidates for your particular domain and that you contacted them again because you want to "close" out the current transaction before moving forward with other prospects.

Hope that helps a little.

Calvin

Agreed fully. An even more time-optimal solution for this extremely common scenario: send your end-user a quick e-mail prodding him/her for thoughts (e.g. "Dear John Doe, I hope you enjoyed your weekend. What are your thoughts on our offer for xxxxxxxx.com? All the best, Me"). If he/she doesn't respond within a day or two, call in.

I'll post examples of scenario-specific prod e-mails to my website shortly.

•••
Agreed fully. An even more time-optimal solution for this extremely common scenario: send your end-user a quick e-mail prodding him/her for thoughts (e.g. "Dear John Doe, I hope you enjoyed your weekend. What are your thoughts on our offer for xxxxxxxx.com? All the best, Me"). If he/she doesn't respond within a day or two, call in.

I'll post examples of scenario-specific prod e-mails to my website shortly.

Thanks, I'd love to see some of those examples once they are posted.

What if you send a prodding email and they reply back with a "not interested" do you follow up with another email along the lines of "What is the best offer you can make?" or do you call at that point to find out their exact reasoning for their change of heart.

•••
Imo, a response of any kind (even "No!") usually opens the door for potential future negotiations.
As Joshua pointed out, you can send a follow up email which asks them for their thoughts on your
offer and perhaps use it as a catalyst for a sale and still profit.

A week ago, I sent out a perfect email and my asking price was $688. A particular buyer expressed interest. After a couple of emails he replied, "Nope $50.00 is the only offer"

"P.S. We do not use PayPay, or any other Internet payment means, for security reasons. Since there is no rush we will mail a check and you can wait for it to clear your bank."

I replied "Thank you for your time!". He replied "I doubt if you would get any nibbles, or offers, for the .org at the exorbitant price you are asking. Take it or leave it."

The domain sold the same day for $1000. How? I used my negotiations with this low baller as a means to up my price to a buyer who was 'truly' interested.

Ya never know!

Calvin

•••
Thanks, I'd love to see some of those examples once they are posted.

What if you send a prodding email and they reply back with a "not interested" do you follow up with another email along the lines of "What is the best offer you can make?" or do you call at that point to find out their exact reasoning for their change of heart.

Absolutely! "Not interested" usually just means "Not interested for the price you're asking".

One random negotiation with a company who owned our keywords in .co.uk went like this (I'm paraphrasing most of the e-mails):

Me [4/3]: I'm offering Miller / Solutions () com.
Them [4/3]: "We may be interested, what sort of price we talking?"
Me [4/9]: $450.
Me [4/15]: Gentle prod e-mail message.
Me [4/23]: Slightly aggressive prod e-mail message.
Them [4/24]: "To be honest we have no plans to sell internationally so I’m unsure it will benefit us especially at $450."
Me [4/24]: "Thank for you for the honest response. If our price tag is the issue here, may I ask how much Miller / Solutions () com would be worth to you? We will take your best offer under consideration."
Them [4/24]: "How about $100.00?"
Me [4/24]: "Our final offer to you is Miller / Solutions () com in exchange for $195. Given that Internet users Google [keywords censored as anti-indexing measure] 1000 times per month according to the Google AdWords Keyword Tool, it would make little financial sense for us to pass on Miller / Solutions () com for any less.

Please let us know whether $195 is acceptable. Again, this is our final offer."
Them [4/24]: "Okay we accept your offer." ...etc.

$195 may not seem like much, but it's $195 more than we would have received has we not sent that simple pair of e-mail messages. If you're interested, I'm sure I could also pull up many higher-dollar negotiations in which we salvaged the sale through persistence; I just happened to have this discussion open in front of me.

•••
Nice Josh..I also see it took from 4/30 to 4/24 to close.......I just re emailed a party who was interested in the domain that fell thrgh...I lowered my asking price and will see what happens.

Now in the case of sending out emails and as in my pitch I generaly give them about 5 days to respond. If you get no repsonse at all do you still follow up?

•••
Nice Josh..I also see it took from 4/30 to 4/24 to close.......I just re emailed a party who was interested in the domain that fell thrgh...I lowered my asking price and will see what happens.

Now in the case of sending out emails and as in my pitch I generaly give them about 5 days to respond. If you get no repsonse at all do you still follow up?

If the end-user party responds they're not interested, it's important that you fire back your "How much can you offer" e-mail ASAP (within a couple of hours, preferably), else they might have sought out another alternative.

Allowing 5 business days to respond is dead on when pitching to small companies. It's not worth following up with companies who don't reply at all or whose e-mails bounce UNLESS they're a very close-match, high-revenue, high-probability prospect.

•••
If the end-user party responds they're not interested, it's important that you fire back your "How much can you offer" e-mail ASAP (within a couple of hours, preferably), else they might have sought out another alternative.

Allowing 5 business days to respond is dead on when pitching to small companies. It's not worth following up with companies who don't reply at all or whose e-mails bounce UNLESS they're a very close-match, high-revenue, high-probability prospect.

Josh thanks for all the info. Do you typically follow up with a phone call after the second prodding email and no response? or do you just continue sending emails every 5 days?

thanks again.

•••
Josh thanks for all the info. Do you typically follow up with a phone call after the second prodding email and no response? or do you just continue sending emails every 5 days?

thanks again.

When dealing small companies, I generally prefer to send a single "gentle prod" message one day before my prescribed deadline and initiate a phone call ON the day of my prescribed deadline. In the example above, I engaged the end-user by e-mail only due to time constraints.

Once you've tried calling a small company several 3-4 times across a 3-week span, leaving voicemails they fail to respond to, move on.

When dealing with big corps. who are interested in your domains, the negotiation timeline expands by roughly tenfold. You may need to communicate with your end-user several dozen times to make the sale and close the transaction.

•••
Thanks Josh...This will really help me a lot. I'm kicking myself now thinking about all the potential sales I possibly lost over the past month or so.

Here is another question that came up. A lot of these domains we are flipping to endusers are going to be used for either a new site or some sort of landing page, I am assuming. Most of the endusers I have contacted already have a site, so I am marketing the benefits of a landing page and if it is a dot com or a exceptionally strong keyword then I market the additional pre-qualified traffic benefits.

But, today I was marketing one of my dot com sites to potential endusers and one potential buyer said well if all I am going to do is use this for a landing page, "why should I buy the dot com from you when I can just register the dot net or dot org?" The only real benefit I can think of for using a dot com for something like a landing page is it gets the most type-in pre-qualified traffic. Are there any other benefits for using the dot com for a landing page?

-Does the dot com or any other extensions rank any better or worse in the search engines when someone searches for them?

-Is a dot com or any other extensions more likely to be clicked on in the search results than a dot biz, dot net, dot org, etc?

-Also, when I buy domains and I know I am going to market it as a landing page should I be buying up the additional extensions if they are available to prevent the potential enduser from just registering one of the other available extensions?

Thanks for the help

•••
-Does the dot com or any other extensions rank any better or worse in the search engines when someone searches for them?
I don't believe the search engines weigh the major gTLDs (.com .net .org) any different from one another. ccTLDs are likely a different story as the TLD itself tells you geographically where a business/site is located/targeting.
-Is a dot com or any other extensions more likely to be clicked on in the search results than a dot biz, dot net, dot org, etc?
I've seen no real evidence of this, but I assume yes, there is a small difference between the CTR of .com vs all other extensions. However, the difference between result #4 and #5 is significantly more important and valuable than the difference in TLDs. The TLD's weight in the market will help in getting those higher rankings - for example, US consumers are more likely to remember/trust a .com than a .biz, UK more likely to remember/trust a .co.uk over a .net, etc.
-Also, when I buy domains and I know I am going to market it as a landing page should I be buying up the additional extensions if they are available to prevent the potential enduser from just registering one of the other available extensions?
I wouldn't recommend it. If the domain is good enough, it's likely other extensions are already snatched up. If the end-user opts to register an alternate extension, they probably wouldn't have bought your domain name anyway. If the end-user actually registers and makes use of an alternate extension, you now have another selling point for other end-users, spill-over traffic, etc.! :)

•••
You can advertise for your domain on those forums that are specifically domain buy and sell related. And in this way you will get end users. Otherwise if you advertise in any other forum, the admin may have a problem with that.

•••
Hi
I have implemented the SHORT subject line as best as possible since this was the most logical way to proceed.
Very normal for me.

•••
how to approach a chinese end user?

Wondering how to sell a name to a chinese company. should I use google translate or just write in english? anyone with success with this have any tips?
thanks

•••
Web translation quality is not so good imho.

I am sure there are NPers who know chinese. Should take help from them.

•••
Hire me, I can translate it into Chinese for $0/word.

This offer is available for next 48 hours only :)

•••
I know chinese. Here is the example:

Subject: 你好,关于贵公司的域名
请问贵公司是否有意购买我的域名:aaaaaa.com
如果有意购买,请给我发邮件,谢谢!

•••
I know chinese. Here is the example:

Your message is a little too basic methinks. :wave:

redshift -Also of course you might just try English, or both English & Chinese perhaps- that would look impressive. B-)

•••
nRNF, thanks for all great ideas

But, what FSBO means? Are using eBay for the auction?

Alan, I never thought of this, great idea.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
•••
Yesterday I got this reply off of a letter I sent out:

"Thanks Greg. I¹ll consider this offer and get back to you.
Thank you
Regards
xxxxxxx"

How long should I wait before following up with this client?

•••
Well, how long did you say your offer was valid til in your e-mail? I've achieved best results when following up the day before that deadline with a "gentle prod" e-mail, then the day of that deadline by phone (if necessary).

Yesterday I got this reply off of a letter I sent out:

"Thanks Greg. I¹ll consider this offer and get back to you.
Thank you
Regards
xxxxxxx"

How long should I wait before following up with this client?

•••
Thanks for the quick reply JoshuaPz. I was testing different templates and it was the first and only time that I had used this one. It did not have an end date but I did mention that I was actively marketing the name to people in the industry.

•••
Back